Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Mount&Blade

Post by Peijen »

http://www.taleworlds.com/index.html

Sounded interesting, free beta up to level 6

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Looks interesting. In a few weeks I get my laptop upgrade. I'll install it and try.

I like the idea of having disposable NPC minions as fodder for your nondisposable avatar. I can't think of anything else quite like that.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I tried it, it's actually pretty fun. Combat is really well done for the most part, especially for a game written by a guy and his wife. I've just been playing the tournament thing, haven't even left the starter town yet.

Though with my track record I'll probably forget about this game in a week.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

It's one o'clock, and it's really fun. There is one thing I don't like about combat, the way weapon range is done. I switched from a sword (100 range) to a staff (140 range) and my actual attack range seems to be shorter, and an enemy using knife (40 range) can hit me while I just missed a second ago.

I stayed in the tournaments until I made enough money to buy the guy cheapest padded armor, and I went out to kill some river pirates. Horse combat is pretty difficult for me, especially with my bad judgement of range.

Trading is interesting, and I haven't work out how to use troops more effectively. Over all I say it's a pretty good game, if I am not bored of it after few test characters I might spend $10 to get a license.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Holy crap this is like the best game I've played in years. Totally worth downloading and $10.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

I need to find me a damn lance, charge people on horse with staff is not cutting it. Also real horse are much easier to control than the arena horses, you just have to buy higher tier horse (I have the white one forgot what it's called)

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

hahaha, you have not enjoy the fun of this game until you have a group of halberd weilding peasant women owning the pirates like baking cookies. That and 3 javelin to the crouch. Too bad there is not build in screen shot capability.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I used a lance for a while (and still against cavalry), but a two-handed sword is better against infantry. With the charge bonus I do like 60 damage with my war sword and only like 30 with a lance. It's also easier to hit them with the sword.

I wish you could load a crossbow on a horse. Headshot does like 100+ damage.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Alan wrote:I wish you could load a crossbow on a horse. Headshot does like 100+ damage.
How many crossbows can you carry while on your horse?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

It's been a day or so, you guys stop playing this yet? :wink:
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

Dave wrote:It's been a day or so, you guys stop playing this yet? :wink:
I played until one yesterday, so sleepy...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Where did you hear about this?

I tried installing it on my current laptop. Ph34r my 20 fps. With all graphics settings disabled. I should try getting it to work with Cedega.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

It's actually a bit like Gladiator would be if it were updated for the 21st century.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

Dwindlehop wrote:Where did you hear about this?

I tried installing it on my current laptop. Ph34r my 20 fps. With all graphics settings disabled. I should try getting it to work with Cedega.
somethingawful

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dave wrote:It's been a day or so, you guys stop playing this yet? :wink:
Yeah I played pretty much all weekend. And I'm playing right now.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Well, I tried to go the mounted archery route and got my ass handed to me. The pirates slaughtered my townsfolk, while I managed to kill one of them. Then, the remaining four outran my horse (?!?), killed it, then killed me. Clearly the mongols knew something I don't.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

mounted archery is hard on purpose, in some of the earlier build people take on a whole army of knights because mounted archery is so powerful. I think it's still good, but you have to develop your archer to be really high.

The best strategy I found is having yourself with a decent horse (stumper doesn't work, it's pretty slow) and distract majority of the enemy doing hit and run. If you charge really fast against one enemy you can push through them if you build up enough speed, don't charge into a group of people because they will stop you and kick your ass. Tell your units to hold position (this is where you are currently standing) at a good location such as top of hill while you run around like a mad man. Let one or two enemy gets by you to attack the rest of the group, they should be able to kill one or two enemies by ganging up on them.

Run away from dark hunter/knights. They took out my group of knights without getting killed. :cry:

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

based on arena's one on one experience

archer > rider > mounted archer > infantry > archer

of course if you get good you can win most situation except infantry vs archer, once they get close archer never wins.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I'm up to level 30 now. Yeah I'm a loser.

I'm using a Spirited Charger now (charge bonus 33), and can kill almost anyone in one hit with my sword of war, including dark knights, though they usually take two or three.

With archery at like 150 and horse archery at 5 you can be pretty accurate with the bow while riding. You really have to get Power Draw though to do much damage with the bow. I've got it at 5 now and with a war bow I do about 30-40 damage with a non-headshot. Headshots are instant-kill, do like 60-100+.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

How many minions do you have?

I tired of trying to whack things personally, so I'm experimenting with builds that will have others doing the whacking for me.