Puzzle Pirates

pew pew pew
quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I won 200 pieces of eight from a sword fight last night. I only need about 2600 more to get a sabre. I don't want to get any of the other dinky swords before that. Sword fighting isn't too hard unless you're being teamed up on by 3 or more. 2 is sometimes doable, but 3 is damn near impossile.

Sailing and carpentry are easy. Bilging is kinda a pain. Like, it's easy for a little while and then the pieces just get too random to do anything with them. Also, when people aren't carpenting enough, the damage doesn't get fixed and the water fills up. Once that happens it's a pain to get rid of the crabs. They just get in the way.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

quantus wrote:Sailing and carpentry are easy.
Let me qualify these a bit more. They're easy if you get a reasonably random set of pieces, but once it starts to give you the same colored (or in carpentry: shaped) pieces over and over again, it can be hard to dump the pieces so you don't screw yourself up. I also don't recommend playing after about 1am since you'll probably be unable to concentrate well.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:i beat a guy at swordfighting, though he took two out of three. i still can't beat the computer.
What will help you in sword fighting in one on one battles is to notice the fill pattern of the sword you're fighting against. The colors are predetermined and you can really use this knowledge against your opponent when setting up chains or just plain massive blocks. Also, once you have a big sword block, it can't be broken by thrusting sword attacks, so you can actually "block" enemy strikes from the side by building up solid blocks along the sides.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

arrrrrrrrrr

is this a beta still?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

aye, that she is, matey.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

what island you guys based out of?

arr, i can't find any jobbing.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:what island you guys based out of?
I'm based out of Alpha. I believe spacemonkey is based out of Guava. There should be plenty of jobbing on Emperor or Alpha. Just go to the little job posting thingy near the pier.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

quantus wrote:
Dwindlehop wrote:what island you guys based out of?
I'm based out of Alpha. I believe spacemonkey is based out of Guava. There should be plenty of jobbing on Emperor or Alpha. Just go to the little job posting thingy near the pier.
Arr, I'm heading to Alpha!

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

shouldn't you be working?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

either the server is down or intel's firewall keeps me from playing at work. probably just as well.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

quantus wrote:shouldn't you be working?
working is for the weak! ... hey wait a minute

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

i am attempting to remember/figure out how to patch my processor so i can use the latest patch. stupid thing fails and says it wants to use PEP.DAT as the database, but there is no PEP.DAT. stupid thing.

and now it crashes. blergh.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:i am attempting to remember/figure out how to patch my processor so i can use the latest patch. stupid thing fails and says it wants to use PEP.DAT as the database, but there is no PEP.DAT. stupid thing.

and now it crashes. blergh.
what the heck are you talking about?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

intel processors can be patched while in a system to execute different microcode. i have a patch i'm supposed to be using, but i can't get it to go.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Can you give me a microcode update that makes my P3s run faster/more efficiently?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

yes. i'll write one right now.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

here you go:

http://www.jonathan.pearce.name/m0498374f.pdb

this patch turns all fp and alu operations into nops. great for boosting performance by orders of magnitude. note: loading a patch permanently alters the state of your cpu. reset will not fix it.[/url]

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

wah, it's not there. I'd have the fastest cpu ever with that update.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

where were you joe? I had to run the ship by myself after the captain left. I did manage to attack 2 ships and bring in 1600 of eight and some cargo.

Still haven't got a hand on navigation, and keep ramming the ship into rocks ...

and I need to buy some cannon balls

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

once each of your is the captain of your own ship, and you form a Schlag2b Fleet, ill join and become the cabin boy for all your online-pirate sexual needs
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.