the progression of Vinny

pew pew pew
tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

Jon was so mean, made us wait. We died so we all blame Jon :)
You kicked my dog!!!

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

It's all about Delenn, the almighty mithra tank with the defense and melee damage of a mage combined with an incredible provoke skill!
(note: was WAR10 with 44 def) 8)

tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

VLSmooth wrote:It's all about Delenn, the almighty mithra tank with the defense and melee damage of a mage combined with an incredible provoke skill!
(note: was WAR10 with 44 def) 8)
Ok you could think of yourself as the almighty mithra tank all you want, but you gotta get yourself a good armor for def, and you'll never be able to do the melee dmg of a mage unless you become a mage or maybe...a monk. As for provoke, every fighter has it :P

*Raining on Vinny's parade*
You kicked my dog!!!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

(note: was) You fixed this?

My DOT ain't nothing to write home about, but at least I'm better than Delenn. And sometimes I can hit hard. Whee!

Now I will stare at the skillchain chart until my eyes bleed or I have memorized the interesting low level skillchains.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

tasheren wrote:Jon was so mean, made us wait. We died so we all blame Jon :)
Yeah, my schedule didn't work out. Left work early cuz Amber was sick and then had early dinner. So sorry.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Dwindlehop wrote:(note: was) You fixed this?
Yep, thanks to help from Glyn (gil), Dio (gil + brass cap), and Len (Brass Leggings) I'm now at 60ish def.
Dwindlehop wrote:My DOT ain't nothing to write home about, but at least I'm better than Delenn. And sometimes I can hit hard. Whee!
What? I don't see you doing zero damage to a goblin butcher. Zero damage is the shiznit! 8)
(note: haven't gotten the famed spatha yet, need to do some quest, not sure which, or what it entails)
Dwindlehop wrote:Now I will stare at the skillchain chart until my eyes bleed or I have memorized the interesting low level skillchains.
I'm still happy we got that one double skillchain with a magic burst to top it off (liq+scis+some magic). The monster went REAL fast.

To make it easier, next time I log in I'll add call1 to my macro. The whistle really helps imho.

nu
Chump

Post by nu »

spatha needs Shell Shield. Fight some quadav.. I don't think I still have one, or I'd pass it along to you.

My Alchemy's high enough I might even be able to turn it into a Bee Spatha for you, which would net you an extra point of damage or two, but there's always the chance I'd blow it and you'd lose the sword.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Already got the shell shield from Dave (been using it) and even found one while fighting through the highlands. I also remember finding the guy in bastok that needed it, something about greeting a white mage at the travel agency. Is that the airship place?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I've lost interest in swords, as I have no desire to increase my shield skill from 0. Once I hit 12, I can try to buy the Great Axe Greataxe! Bonus! Then I'll get me a Claymore, Burninating for 13, and maybe I'll get lucky and find a Plantreaper for 14. Or not. Basically, Dwindlehop is like Fighter, but he has interests in other bladed items.

Shields == no blades == teh suck.

Zekmyr
Chump

Post by Zekmyr »

I've got an extra shell shield if you need it, just let me know tonight.

Zekmyr

tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

Dwindlehop wrote:I've lost interest in swords, as I have no desire to increase my shield skill from 0. Once I hit 12, I can try to buy the Great Axe Greataxe! Bonus! Then I'll get me a Claymore, Burninating for 13, and maybe I'll get lucky and find a Plantreaper for 14. Or not. Basically, Dwindlehop is like Fighter, but he has interests in other bladed items.

Shields == no blades == teh suck.
Hmm I sold a plantreaper last week for like 1400 gils...a bit late, heh
You kicked my dog!!!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

That's coo. I gots 1.4k gil, no prob. Plus, I'm still level 11, so it's not exactly a pressing issue. Heh.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Status Update:
WAR11
Attack 47
Defense 64
175 hp (two copper rings for an amazing +2 hp)
Finished a ton of random quests (at least 5) last night.

Also, for some reason my dmg9/spd~230 Sapara yields the same attack rating as my dmg11/spd~240 Spatha. What gives? Also, a Bronze Dagger gives me an incredible attack rating of 19!

tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

It might have something to do with the fact that the most favored weapon for a fighter is an axe. other weapons might be less damaging as a result...just my guess
You kicked my dog!!!

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Both the Sapara and Spatha are one-handed swords...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Here's a question, then. WTF is Attack? Does it have to do with to-hit % or damage potential or both or neither?

tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

VLSmooth wrote:Both the Sapara and Spatha are one-handed swords...
Ahh...I was comparing the Spatha to the dagger. I wasnt even sure what the Sapara was hehe. Hmm possibly the speed has something to do with it again.
You kicked my dog!!!

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

In that case, the math definitely doesn't work out...

An improvement of 2/9 to damage should definitely outweight a reduction to speed of 1/23.

Also, here are the dmg/speed values:
Spatha = 11 / 240 = 0.04583
Sapara = 9 / 230 = 0.03913

tasheren
Poser

Post by tasheren »

I'm sure these two (dmg and speed) aren't the only two factors that influence attack. Whatever formula they use to calculate attack doesn't really matter. What matters most is if you kick ass in battles or not :)
You kicked my dog!!!

rotinoma
Chump

Post by rotinoma »

yeah. as in
monk owns :D