SNES RPGs

pew pew pew
George
Veteran Doodler

SNES RPGs

Post by George »

Following up on a conversation I had with Chuck and Vinny yesterday...

Found my "Worthy" list: Brain Lord, Breath of Fire 1&2, Chrono Trigger, E.V.O., Eathbound, Illusion of Gaia, Legend of Zelda, Lufia 1&2, Secrets of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Terranigma, and Uncharted Waters 2. Weird, none of the Final Fantasy games are in there. I must have finished them before I started the list.

Of note in "Unworthy", there's Ogre Battle, where you can easily lock out the good ending 5% of the way into the game. Lord of the Rings, where death is both frequent and permanent. Secret of the Stars, which was mentioned yesterday, but which I must not have liked. Hehe, Harvest Moon.

In the Japanese stuff, the only ones I tried and liked were Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission (Presumeably Gun Hazard 2 a.k.a. Front Mission 2 is also good). There are some famous ones in the list that I never got around to trying: Romancing Saga 1&3, Dragon Quest 1-3, 5-6 (dunno what happened to 4), Ys 4 and 5, Tales of Phantasia, Treasure Hunter G, Tactics Ogre, Dark Half, Digital Devil Story, and Fire Emblem (which eventually ended up on Gameboy Advance). A bunch of anime-inspired games: Slayers, Magic Knight Rayearth Sailor Moon RPG, Bastard, Tenchi Muyo, and something where lodoss is the only word I recognize. I don't see it in there, but the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are also pretty famous.

For Genesis, I recommend Shining Force 1&2 (but not Shining in the Darkness). Also Phantasy Star 4 (never tried 1-3, so I can't comment). On Gameboy, Final Fantasy Legend 2&3 are good. Legend 1 was mediocre. Final Fantasy Adventure is very Secret of Mana-ish, and worth playing, but it is an action RPG so maybe not what you're looking for.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: SNES RPGs

Post by Dave »

I tried playing the remakes of FF for the DS that had updated 3D graphics, and my opinion is 3D totally ruins them.. thinking cellular FF remakes in 2D would be better. If/when FF3/6 comes out on iphone, im totally buying that. I know 1/2 are already out.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.