chuck's awesome flash game

pew pew pew
Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

Peijen wrote:
Vyrosama wrote:(Sidenote: Jason, there's another competition...we have 7 weeks!!!...the winner of the last competition was weeeak...we could have soo won first prize :twisted: )
What are we talking about here?
http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/08/ ... tion_4.php

First prize is:
* $2,500
* (1) Adobe Flash CS3 Professional license
* Some random Sierra game

Jason and I were thinking about designing something for the previous competition but never got around to it... :roll:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/07/ ... esults.php

The previous theme was "Replay"

The new theme is "Ball Physics"

If there's enough interest I'll create a new thread instead of hijacking this one

:P

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Clearly you need to implement a variant of stunt hamsters. It should look like this:
-no chopping
-exploding is good
-no water
-level design/interactable environment is the key

You could use a timer-based explosion or the flaming mechanic from stunt hamsters. Basically it's like a Worms game with only hand grenades as weapons.

You now owe me a beer.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I prefer the hamster-every-three-seconds approach to one shot per round of Worms.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dwindlehop wrote:You now owe me a beer.
If you're ever in the DC area, no problem.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

New contest up...the Theme is

UPGRADE....

I got 5 weeks to dev and I'm pretty serious about doing this one...although I'll probably need to wing the artist/music part... (maybe a text based...flash game......hehehe)

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/01/ ... tion_5.php

any ideas would be appreciated and yes I will buy beers/dinners :D and even an honorable mention in the game credits!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Turret defense bog standard boring turrets and fixed path creeps, but infinitely customizable upgrades on the turrets and an infinite chain of exponential creeps. And maybe interactions between upgrades or differently upgraded turrets.

I'm thinking you can upgrade
range
rof
damage
splash
slow
stun
AoE
aftershocks (like cluster bombs)
push back
# shots in air at once (just circling, waiting to strike)
boost to other nearby towers in all the above categories
number creeps shot will fly through

Since money will increase linearly and the creeps and upgrade costs exponentially, I seriously doubt a player could play for an infinite period of time. But the possible strategies are endless and make for a good leaderboard.

Other idea would require a lot of creativity, but basically a castle defense with a grow-type system of upgrades. I can't come up with wacky interactions for that, though, so you're on your own.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

yea whenever I think of upgrade I always think of grow-related games...the two seem to mix naturally...and I always think of something mechanical related...like mecha...guns...etc. It might be nice to do another TD with more upgrade configurations...but I've already seen TD clones that do that already and whenever I play those I still think of TD as the theme versus the upgrading aspect of it. But who knows, the interpertation is upto the whims of the judges and maybe when they think upgrade they think TD :?

for grow-related...that's already been used as a theme for a previous contest...that's why I'm stumped....but a mixture of TD + grow does seem interesting though

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Just make sure to give the player enough vespene gas.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

How about changing the shape of the "tower" footprint based on how it is upgraded? Maybe instead of having several different towers to start, they become different by the upgrade chosen. You might also want to add the element of repair by allowing the creeps to attack the towers as they go by or limiting ammo per upgrade.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Counter tower defense, you send the creeps, upgrade and try to sneak them pass the tower.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

The counter defense has been done. I forget where I found the game. Wasn't much fun.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.