Eve for dummies

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Got an interview with a Snigg recruiter tonight. I shall impress him with my awesome ability to spell?

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

ooh I hope you used a lot of l33tspeak, I hear that impresses people.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Woo, I'm in Snigg! Time to move some ships.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Here's some decent PvP ships your char could train into quickly. They're in increasing order of time to train, and I noted if they're good for gangs of 1-5 (solo), 6-40 (gang), or 40+ (fleet). I also put the cost and 100% insurance payout, but remember even if they're even you still are out the cost of insurance which is 1/3 the payout.

Condor (gang) FF ultra cheap scout. Your goal is to die. -90k, +20k
Griffin (solo, gang) FF EW reduces your opponent's dps and EW, too. You don't have the range or survivability of the bigger EW ships. -200k, +100k
Incursus (solo) FF a nice ganky frig -1M, +300k
Cormorant (gang, fleet) DD antifrig defense for BS, more range than Catalyst -2m, +1m
Catalyst (gang, fleet) DD antifrig, more damage than Cormorant -2m, +1m
Blackbird (solo, gang) CC EW, good upgrade from Griffin -4m, +4m
Vexor (solo) CC short range drone boat with good tank, denial -4m, +4m
Thorax (solo, gang) CC high damage gank boat -9m, +7M
Drake (gang, fleet) BC strong tank and some ok damage. In fleet, makes a good antisupport ship. -35m, +30m
Myrmidon (solo, gang) BC short range drone boat, good tank which you can pimp to great with some isk, can fit for BS class damage -35m, +30m
Crow (solo, gang) FF tech 2 interceptor, fast, hard to hit, low damage, can be pimped -6m, +1m
Taranis (solo, gang) FF tech 2 interceptor, nearly cruiser class damage -6m, +1m
any covert ops (gang, fleet) FF tech 2 no damage particularly, but very hard to kill because of cloaks. You provide intel and probe out targets. -30m, +4m
Scorpion (gang, fleet) BS EW too slow for solo, but the best range for fleet action. You will be shot a lot. -75m, +70m
Raven (gang) BS in a medium sized gang, strong damage and tank. Not good solo or fleet, but awesome for carebears. -120m, +100m
Dominix (solo) BS mean drone boat, and cheap for a BS -70m, +60m
Megathron (solo, gang, fleet) BS versatile and effective in a lot of different roles: gank, tank, range, etc. -120m, +100m
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My advice is to train up decent Griffin and Cormorant setups and get the salvaging skill. That'll take a couple days and then you're prepared for essentially any sized op from small to huge. In those ships (with optional salvager fitted), you can't help but make money off pvp loot since they're so cheap. If you salvage the wrecks, you can make even more money.

Then you've got some income and some pvp experience which will help you decide what to train next. I will give you the isk to buy advanced skills and ships up to 7M each.

Use Evemon to help plan training.
http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

Use EFT or Quickfit to help plan setups.
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard ... dID=548883 - PC
http://elegance.grojojo.com/quickfit/ - Mac! (uses Java)
EFT and Quickfit have different bugs. I prefer the bugs in EFT, but I use both.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Ha Snigg is currently flying out of Venal which is where my ships are, anyway. Lazily not flying my ships out of Venal for the win!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Actually, Alan, since I'm willing to vouch that you are neither a thief, nor a spy, nor an idiot, and you have Teamspeak, you can just join Sniggerdly proper instead of Sniggwaffe.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Dwindlehop wrote:you can just join Sniggerdly proper instead of Sniggwaffe.
You should say that outloud in your office.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Hahaha I can use that as a pickup line.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:
Dwindlehop wrote:you can just join Sniggerdly proper instead of Sniggwaffe.
You should say that outloud in your office.
Joke's on you: I'm at home because I had jury duty!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

You should say that during deliberations.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Heh, I had about 180M isk from ten days of playing the market with around 80M in wallet. Then the devs announced that the commodity was I trading was overpriced and at the end of the month they'd be instituting NPC prices at 1/6 of what I paid, so my entire inventory was nearly worthless. I sold half of it this afternoon for what I paid, though. I guess I'm pretty lucky. And the guy who bought it from me is gonna kick himself soon. I'd better go try to sell the other half in the same place. :lol:

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, and Snigg moved to the south, in Stain. It's really very similar to Venal, actually. It's NPC-sov 0.0 surrounded by player-sov 0.0, which means we can't lose our stations but can go hunt those who could. Apparently Snigg is a little understaffed in euro hours, so we have difficulty with some of the local Stain residents, but in US primetime Snigg has been going to Feythbolis to stomp all over RISE, which is one of the "pets" of the Band of Brotherhood.

The battle line is
Red Alliance (Russians) + Goonfleet (somethingawful) + TCF (French) vs. BoB (euro) and pets (numerous: some pay rent, others are more independent but hold space in BoB's name. RISE is probably the strongest one left, as Finfleet recently joined BoB).

Snigg is currently allied with Red/Goon/TCF.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Interdictors
Rooks/Lachesis
Interceptors
Huginns
Covert Ops (the one who takes this role will be given a friggin medal)

heavy hitting HACS that can hit to a 100 (60-70 is not enough). I prefer the Eagle, Muninn, Zealot instead of the command ship types because I want to move fast as RISE tends to uberblob.
Here's a pretty good breakdown of what Snigg generally flies. No battleships, no capital ships. We have carriers and dreadnoughts, but they don't come out most of the time. Snigg plans to fight outnumbered, so they use fast ships with a lot of electronic warfare (Rook/Lachesis). The idea is to hit and run, again and again, without getting pinned down. The enemy has superior force, but you deny him a decisive battle.

Interceptor is the fastest to train for, but covert ops is almost as fast. After you train for one, the time to train for the other is reduced because they both use Racial Frigate V. The interdictor doesn't take too much longer if you go for interceptor. The recons (Lachesis, Rook, Huginn) take covops skills and cruiser V as a prereq and would be slightly faster to train than the HACs (Eagle, Muninn, Zealot).

I personally can fly the Stiletto interceptor, and am only separated from flying interdictors or HACs (Muninn and Vagabond) by the isk to pay for the skills and ships. I decided on HACs instead of recons because the prereq skills are more useful to have to level V than the recon skills. Though the recons are a bit pimper just because they have such useful bonuses.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I'm going to reactivate on Tuesday. I'm starting my psych rotation, which is the least time-consuming and also the subject I'm the most comfortable with.

ie lots of EVE playing time.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Today is Wednesday. Haha.

I have an exam on Friday, then am going away for the weekend, then have something on Monday.

So next Tuesday it is.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Ha, I tried to delete that post before you read it because I realized it was Wednesday already. Ir dum.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I'll squirt your dude like 10M isk next week so you can play around. I recommend blowing 4.5M on the advanced perception learning skill, which you should already have the prereqs for since you are a soldier. Think about training the willpower learning skill to IV soon, and maybe intelligence too, so you can get the advanced skills for those, but don't train learning skills instead of skills that make stuff fun.

If I have a good week I'll send some extra isk so you can buy +2 implants. If you join Snigg you can dock in Goon space and get a jumpclone so you don't have to fight in a clone with implants plugged in.

Did you leave something training to level V while you were unsubscribed? Doesn't matter much, just curious.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Hm, I don't remember if I did or not.

I think I remember wanting to train the frigate skill to V but I don't remember if I actually did.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Exciting. At least you wanted to. :)