Heroes of the Storm

pew pew pew
Alan
Veteran Doodler

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Post by Alan »

I think this is the best Youtube channel for learning to play heroes:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCW69l ... ZxBg0yFFdA

I don't know who this is, but they basically go through the pros' Twitch channels and pull out games where they play particular heroes and organizes it for easier navigation.

I've found that Zuna's videos are particularly good. I also like chu8's. ZP is also good. Nick seems to have the most Twitch followers but I've never been impressed with his play (compared to other top players), and he rarely explains what he is doing or why he is picking certain builds. He just seems to complain all the time.
Last edited by Alan on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Agreed, I like icy-veins, too. They don't have a guide for every hero.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote: I'm definitely going to try Abathur and Sylvanas.
In retrospect, I think one of the main reasons I did so poorly with Sylvanas was that I had the wrong idea of how to play her. I thought I was supposed to solo push a lane, whereas I think she is at her best when she pushes with teammates and is able to bring down a wall (and maybe a fort) early on in a game, and then make a choice depending on the situation whether to push with the objective or split push. And then when she hits 7, with barbed arrows + unstable poison she can keep all of the lanes pushed out and take merc camps in between teamfights and objectives and give your team great map presence, and then once she hits 16 she should be focusing on putting Cold Embrace on the priority target during teamfights.

Also, you have to use her Banshees before you get into trouble. If you try to escape after you're already in trouble (like with Bolt of the Storm) you'll probably die.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkPFv_QlaI

There's some hotkeys, like self-cast, that can't be changed in the UI. Instead you must open a config file for no particular reason.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/198 ... -8-10-2015

Lots of changes.

Tyrael's Sanctification got a huge buff. No longer a channeled ability and now affects him too, nullifying all CC on your team for 3 seconds.

It seems like they nerfed Tassadar which makes no sense to me.

KT is getting completely reworked, he's not going to be a one-trick pony anymore.

Jaina's ice elemental got a big nerf, though I think she will still be pretty strong, just will have a different rotation. Might actually see people picking ring of frost now.

Raynor looks like he'll be significantly stronger. Sonya may become viable as a tank. Leoric got a very needed nerf.

I don't know how much Bolt of the Storm nerf (CD increased 30 secs) will affect the popularity, it seems like at 70 seconds it will still be available to you when you need it. I could be very wrong about this.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I always forget to mash Bolt anyway!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

And nothing for Chen or Diablo! (Ok nvm his kick was fixered) Poor Leoric, I'm sure Monks Seven Sided will get nerfed in a few weeks too. Just seems super OP when dueling.

I'll be getting Diablo free soon from the cross promotion thing. And sexy portraits! And 50 goblin kills! I got Valla to level 10 and working on Johanna. Think I will buy Abathur on the alt account to buff me only lol. Seems like a pretty cheesy thing to do but can macro spam QWE and lane afk vs AI.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:The variable trait is weird. Self-sustain Thrall-style, straight up damage, or mana buff.
Every third Basic Attack heals the lowest nearby allied Hero.
Oh shit it's Thrall Lili

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:Think I will buy Abathur on the alt account to buff me only lol. Seems like a pretty cheesy thing to do but can macro spam QWE and lane afk vs AI.
This is the best/worst thing about this game I've ever heard.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Seven-sided strike does 49% damage, scales with target max health. That's... nice!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Team League will still use a separate matchmaking rating (MMR) from Hero League.
However, because Team League parties do not have static rosters, Team League MMR will now functions much like it does for Hero League. This means that each player’s Team League MMR is based on their own individual performance in Team League matches.
Ranked play changes mean that I might play Team League. I don't think I will spend much time on Hero League, ever.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Talents and Abilities that gain bonus effects from kills will now only trigger from Minions and Mercenaries, and will no longer gain benefit from killing neutral Mercenaries, map event creatures, summoned units, etc.
Stealth Diablo on Haunted Mines nerf. :?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Her level 1 range increase talent was almost always picked, so we made that baseline.
Wow. Just wow. I've played a lot of continually patched online-only games, and I've almost never seen this kind of balance tweak. That's just great. I don't even play Kerrigan, but kudos to the devs.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Azmodan!
Healing Ward (Talent) removed
Superiority (Talent) removed
First Aid (Talent) removed
Storm Shield (Talent) removed
I kind of played around with the healing/shielding, but never could make it work, as my positioning isn't usually right. This is fine with me.
New Talent (Level 7): Gluttonous Ward
Hey, what was I just saying about sustain? This is great!

Demon warrior early game damage got buffed. And, the talents are rejiggered so I can do a laser build. I think this is gonna be good.

Sgt. Hammer!
more health, more damage, reduced CD on siege
Yes to all of this. I was hoping they'd tune her up exactly like that. Very tempted to get Sgt. Hammer now.

No luv 4 Diablo. What I'd like to see is faster advancement to his soul cap (with the same stats as he has now@0 and @cap). It takes a little too long to get rolling again after a death.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Post-patch laser build???

Master of Destruction
Sin's Grasp
Gluttonous Ward
Black Pool
March of Sin
?
Fifth Circle (might be really good with laser spam) or Bolt

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:
Team League will still use a separate matchmaking rating (MMR) from Hero League.
However, because Team League parties do not have static rosters, Team League MMR will now functions much like it does for Hero League. This means that each player’s Team League MMR is based on their own individual performance in Team League matches.
Ranked play changes mean that I might play Team League. I don't think I will spend much time on Hero League, ever.
Teams that queue on Team League tend to be very organized. The few times I've seen people play Team League on either Twitch or VODs it's either a pro or competitive amateur team scrimmaging, or a group of decent-to-good Hero League players who don't usually play Team League who get completely steamrolled.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yea, they'll hvae to incentivize Team League to get casuals to queue for it any. I don't even want to really play Hero league since my hero base is so small and not a fan of drafting anything
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I think it'll still be a while before I try Hero League.

Heroes I own that I'd be comfortable playing in Hero League:
Jaina, Zeratul, Rehgar, Tyrande, Tassadar

Heroes I don't own that I'd be comfortable playing in HL if I bought them:
Tychus, Butcher, Kael'Thas, Valla

Heroes I own that I'd probably feel comfortable playing in HL with a little more QM practice:
Sylvanas, Zagara, Malfurion, Lili

Heroes I own that I don't feel comfortable playing in HL:
Sonya, Muradin, Raynor

Of those, Tyrande and Tassadar only fit into certain comps. Jaina and Zeratul are very unlikely to be available unless I have one of the first picks. That leaves me in a situation where I'd generally have to play heroes I'm not good with (or just aren't good).

You'll also notice there are no tanks I'd feel comfortable playing with. I think that's something I need to change before I can delve into HL.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote: Teams that queue on Team League tend to be very organized.
Because it costs gold to create a permanent static team right now, so it only caters to the very organized.

After the patch any group of five schmucks can do it, and the regular MMR matchmaking will occur.

I'm very in favor of drafts, but I cannot be asked to group with tryhard rando pubbies. That way lies madness.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I definitely don't have ten heroes I'd play ranked, much less ten I own. I'm not on a trajectory to play ranked any time soon.

The current Team League is something I'd never play. The future Team League is something I might like, though.