Combo router/switch

For general rambling.
Alan
Veteran Doodler

Combo router/switch

Post by Alan »

I remember someone posted about this on the old board. What was it called/how much does it cost?

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

just do a search for linksys on amazon or buy

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Post by VLSmooth »

A router is a switch combined with an embedded processor. So in essence, all routers are router/switch combos.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Well, slap me silly and call me a bitch.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Alan wrote:Well, slap me silly and call me a bitch.
*slap* silly bitch

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Combo router/switch

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote:I remember someone posted about this on the old board. What was it called/how much does it cost?
You got two options in this market: with wireless, and without. There's also the question of a firewall, but firewalls are thrown in for free nowadays, so there's no point in dicking around trying to find one that doesn't have a firewall. Linksys has stuff like the WRT54G, which does 802.11g. Or the BEFSR41 which is the same but no wireless. There's a lot of similar products. I paid, uh, $79 for the linksys wireless router that does 11b. I think. It was something low and cheesey like that.

The trick in buying one of these is finding rebates and deals, usually on the high volume, older technology. I bet you find a 11b router for cheaper than a wired-only router.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I know the 11b wireless routers with 4port switch were the same price after rebate/discounts as the 11b access points. This is just wrong especially since you now have to be really careful of bad descriptions and making sure that you're getting the right thing. Even the model numbers are close to identical.