OS features that need to be in every OS

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

OS features that need to be in every OS

Post by Jonathan »

Win7 pinned taskbar programs (yes I know it's just OS X Dock). I'm starting to get muscle memory for mousing to Outlook. On a touch screen this would be super boss, which must be why all the tablet OSes scrap that idea. ;)

Mouse-hover window preview. It gets really annoying in Ubuntu when I can't tell which browser window is the one I want without holding ALT+TAB for a second.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Re: OS features that need to be in every OS

Post by Peijen »

So you are saying is that you should be running Windows 7 instead of Ubuntu?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Hm.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Windows Vista, XP, and I'm pretty sure 2000 all had the quicklaunch bar. The new taskbar is just a merger of that and the traditional taskbar, with a better UI to configure it. Took me a while to get used to it, but I really like it now. It also gives you built-in keyboard shortcuts, so Win+1 launches the first pinned application.

I don't like the hover behaviors. though. I tend to move my mouse cursor haphazardly I'm browsing, and I get windows popping up over top of my what I'm trying to look at. Aero Peek (the bottom right corner of the taskbar) is even worse.

The Windows key->type to search is nice, and has mostly replaced clicking the start menu for me, but that's obviously not a tablet-friendly UI. Also, I wish I could tell it to omit or deprioritize certain results. The uninstall shortcut for an application should never be listed before the app itself.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.