District 9

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

District 9

Post by Dave »

Decent movie, needed to better explain the ending, not (obviously) present a sequel opportunity. I think all movies should be stand-alone. kinda like how I didn't like the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean since nothing happened until the 3rd movie.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: District 9

Post by quantus »

The movie kinda didn't make a whole lot of sense. It took them 20 years to decide to move them from place to another. They made virtually no breakthroughs in understanding the alien tech in that time. Also, why didn't the aliens just use their weapons to shoot the guys with the cat food instead of paying them with weapons the guys couldn't even use? The whole witch-doctor-y consume them to gain their power angle was just dumb.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

As odd as this may sound, I thought the lack of sense made it more realistic.

I still don't believe people are inherently stupid, but they can definitely be crazy.

For an off-the-cuff 1:45 am review, I found the movie pretty boring for the first half. It picked up a lot once the main character learns Chris' secret.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

quantus wrote:It took them 20 years to decide to move them from place to another.
Procrastination; may be more likely than you think! It took time for the negatives of apathy to overcome the negatives/effort of relocation.
quantus wrote:They made virtually no breakthroughs in understanding the alien tech in that time.
They were experimenting a lot (in secret), so it wasn't for lack of trying at least.
quantus wrote:why didn't the aliens just use their weapons to shoot the guys
The movie noted the aliens were akin to mindless worker drones with little self-motivation or non-instinctual reasoning.
quantus wrote:The whole witch-doctor-y consume them to gain their power angle was just dumb.
Ever hear of superstitions? See people (are)/(can be) crazy.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

VLSmooth wrote:I still don't believe people are inherently stupid, but they can definitely be crazy.
Edit: Nevermind

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Never did explain how we were able to communicate... but the whole thing is probably intentionally boring that we are probably better off not knowing. I bet its one of the following:

a) they were a colonization/mining/prison/invasion ship sent to savetheirrace/mine/exile/infiltrate
b) they are really humans from the future/parrareldimension/vermont!
c) they are waiting to exhale
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.