Laptop/Notebook Notes

For general rambling.
VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Laptop/Notebook Notes

Post by VLSmooth »

Laptop/Notebook notes for future use.
  • Bought a Lenovo Y530 for $485.72[1] on Black Friday (2008-11-28)
    • cpu(t3200) os(vista home premium) display(15.4", 1280x800, glossy) graphics(Intel X4500) memory(2x1gb PC3-8500) storage(320gb) optical(dual-layer DVDR) wireless(Intel 5100 AGN) warranty(1 year)
  • intended usage: for mother and personal use during vacations
  • ordered priorities: being able to play 720p videos, cost, screen quality
  • non issues: small size/low weight, battery life
  • Top contenders at the time:
    • Lenovo Ideapad Y530
      * pros: cheapest, no rebates, svideo out, premium sound, quiet, low heat
      * cons: extremely glossy screen[2], 2x1 gb RAM
      * other: fatwallet thread, review
    • Lenovo Thinkpad SL500
      * pros: free matte screen option, core2duo option, trackpoint, no rebates, quiet, low heat
      * cons: $100+ more than the Y530, 1 gb RAM and only Vista Basic, no svideo out
      * other: review, same coupon code for Y530 is only 10% off here
    • HP dv7t
      * pros: 17" screen, free upgrade to 3 gb RAM
      * cons: dubious 40% cashback, glossy screen, no svideo out
      * other: specs, 40% cashback fatwallet deal
  • Highly considering getting an LCD protector film from photodon, which has received stellar reviews, especially regarding anti-glare properties.
  • Pet peeve; can we stick to one term? Having to search for both "laptop" and "notebook" is annoying. Subjectively, laptops are bigger/heavier than notebooks, but they're interchangeable now, which leads to unnecessary aggravation.
[1] final_total(485.72) = subtotal(483.65) + two_day_shipping(25) + tax(25.44) - fatwallet_cashback(48.37)

[2] regarding the Lenovo Ideapad Y510:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4272
http://www.notebookreview.com/picture.asp?f=31272
http://www.notebookreview.com/picture.asp?f=31219
"This is the first notebook I have ever reviewed that actually gave me a severe headache after less than two hours of use."

George
Veteran Doodler

Re: Laptop/Notebook Notes

Post by George »

Well, your photodon suggestion was a complete failure. 45 minutes trying to install and the best I could do was five large bubbles, two wrinkles, and three loose corners. The pen no longer tracks and both touch and pen taps are rarely registered. It does have very impressive anti glare, but I think I'm going to have to just throw it away.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Did you get the thinner one specifically for touch displays?
All MX non-glare films are now available in two thickness Standard .009" (229 um) or Thin/ touch screen .0055" (140 um) w/o protective liner, and have 2mm radius corners unless other wise specified. You will be asked to choose before adding to cart.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

* Thinner touch-screen MXT or 500NG material recommended.
LCD Protective Film - HP TX2000 series - Anti-Glare Thin
Code: MXT-HPTX2X
Uses Include:

# LCD Displays
# Laptop notebooks
# Touch screen displays
Certainly the description suggests that it should work with an HP TX2000 tablet.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Sucks then! :(

I'll keep it in mind if I'm in the market for a lcd touchscreen protector film.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Been customizing the Y530, pretty good. However...

What the crap at

FatWallet: 50% Off Lenovo Thinkpad X61s ($514) & X61 Tablet ($644) Notebooks
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/884957
VLSmooth in e-mail to relative wrote:If you want a small ultraportable notebook (12.1"), this is a crazy deal.

Just discovered a few hours ago. Expires 2008-12-15 while supplies last.

With that much of a discount, it's actually worthwhile to get the upgrades directly from Lenovo, and they DO support Windows XP for ~+$80 (really +$40 due to coupon).

I quickly spec'd out the following for $638.50 (retail $1788). [upgrade] = paid extra, barebones is the low $500 range.
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV (1.6GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)1
  • [upgrade] Genuine Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade****12
  • [upgrade] 12.1" UltraLight XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
  • 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)8
  • TrackPoint
  • 80GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm Serial ATA (2.5")4
  • [upgrade] Integrated Bluetooth PAN
  • [upgrade] Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)10
  • [upgrade] ThinkPad X61s 8 Cell High Capacity Battery60
  • 7668: Express - 1 Year Depot Warranty7
Other details:
  • screen: non-glassy (matte screen), 1024x768 max res (fine, it's a small monitor), standard aspect (not widescreen)
  • cpu: low-voltage core2duo L7500 (it's fast)
  • weight: ~3 pounds with the biggest battery (less than half the weight of the one I just bought, even lighter with standard battery).
  • keyboard: it's standard aspect ratio, so it's a little squished
  • other:
    • no touchpad (no space, uses trackpoint only (red eraser thing))
    • this is one generation old (replaced by x200, which is wide-screen), but a LOT cheaper
    • Mom would not like this since it's WAY too small for her
    • pay $40 here (newegg) and upgrade to 4 GB of RAM (still cheaper from newegg)
    • 2007-07-02 x61s review
    • +$100-$200 gets you a touchscreen
I'm tempted to buy one...

Also, I already got Mom's notebook and have been customizing it. It's running fine.

Don't forget 4% FatWallet Cash Back ON TOP of that.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Ugh, I'm having problems finding benchmarks for the Intel T3200 vs the Intel L7500.

All I know is that the T3200 is a "dual core" @ 2 GHz with 1MB L2 and that the L7500 is a "core2duo" at 1.6 GHz with 4MB L2. I'm not sure if the "core2duo" adds anything performance-wise besides cache (I know it's less power, quieter, cooler, etc).

/me lights the Dwindlehop light.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Some follow-ups
  • No optical drive for both the notebook and tablet pc (touchscreen). Can get around it with a network and virtual drive programs, but not for the novice (I do it all the time) or just get an external optical drive.
  • Lenovo doesn't provide retail OS disks (same for the recently purchased Y530), instead they provide a recovery partition. This makes it convenient to reinstall, but reduces flexibility. Constantly takes up hard drive space too. At least the Y530 has a one-touch recovery button.
  • Reviews for the tablet pc state that the screen is a little dim.
  • Tablet PC variant reviews [ official | user ]
  • Tablet PC works with both stylus and finger, can get very dirty if using fingers.
  • No HDMI out, hard to connect to TV (unless it has VGA input)
  • Both notebook and tablet PC get hot.
  • Both notebook and tablet PC are quiet (but same was said about the Y530, which is definitely louder than my PC).
  • Supposedly both get 5-7 hours of battery life on the 8-cell battery with power saving mode.
  • Tablet PC does not support XP (figures, due to the touch support)
  • Relative desires XP due to several business programs incompatible with Vista
  • 10% Cash Back through Cashbaq (fatwallet post)
    • the 4% and this are mutually exclusive (to my knowledge).
    • "dude, your referral info is too obvious!" (fatwallet post)
    • Some sleuthing turns up this: (link)
      “When you spread the word about Cashbaq, you earn 10% of your friends cash back rewards. They’ll get a $5 bonus just for signing up. And it doesn’t stop there. When your friends’ friends sign up, you get 5% of what they earn and 2% of what their friends earn every time they shop.”
    • "Different sites have different coupon codes" (fatwallet post)
  • The speakers suck, especially compared to the Y530's 4.1 Dolby setup (pretty good sound, and yes, it's a notebook with a subwoofer)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

VLSmooth wrote:Ugh, I'm having problems finding benchmarks for the Intel T3200 vs the Intel L7500.

All I know is that the T3200 is a "dual core" @ 2 GHz with 1MB L2 and that the L7500 is a "core2duo" at 1.6 GHz with 4MB L2. I'm not sure if the "core2duo" adds anything performance-wise besides cache (I know it's less power, quieter, cooler, etc).

/me lights the Dwindlehop light.
Pow! Well, the T3200 appears to be a 65nm P4 with a cut-down cache for some reason and a 667MHz FSB. The L7500 is a low-voltage 65nm Conroe on an 800 MHz FSB. The rule of thumb for P4 is derate the clock frequency by 80% to compare to P6-style parts like the Pentium III or original Athlon (not Athlon 64). So you get a 1.6 GHz "effective" clock frequency on the T3200 compared to a 1.6 GHz actual on the L7500, so roughly the same clock frequency. Add on top of that the fact that the Conroe is 4 wide, the Pentium is 3 wide, and the cache size difference, and you're looking at a 33-50% perf advantage for the L7500. Also, since it is a low voltage Conroe the L7500 will have substantially better battery life. Basically, I'd get the L7500 unless the T3200 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

You can burn a set of recovery DVDs and then delete the recovery partition. You still need an original Vista install disc if you want to install without the crapware, but the license works fine that way.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, supplies have already run out (I think ~3 PM EST). After reading both your comments, the deal was definitely exceptional.

Oh well, not like I "needed" a cheap awesome ultra-portable notebook...