Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

TV on teh intertubes

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8985

Short version:
NBC to have free time limited TV downloads with ads

Your choices:
free TV downloads with ads that expire in a week (NBC)
free streaming with ads (ABC, Comedy Central, SciFi?)
iTunes ($2/ep, more per season?)
Amazon Unbox (as much as $5/ep)
Netflix streaming (requires monthly subscription)

It's sad how little Mac support there is in all of this. Did I miss any?

Anyway, which have you used, and which do you intend to use again? I use the iTunes and streaming, and wish I could use Netflix. I will go back to iTunes for classic eps I want to see repeatedly (Invader Zim!), and I will stream stuff I missed the original air date on.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

i use newgroups that encode in divx, so any shows I actually care to watch are available in semi-decent hdtv ~300-700 mb/30min.

Im lazy/poor like that
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

NNTP FTW

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9002

ABC to offer downloads in addition to streaming. I think. It sounds like the downloads aren't DRMed but do have ads? That's probably wishful thinking.

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

In the past I've watched Heroes (new season starts next week! :P ) streamed from NBC since I was too lazy to torrent it and I don't get any tv reception where I live. They were pretty good with adding new eps each week (usually one day after it aired on TV).

The quality is bearable but the only nuisance was that the gamma is way too dark and they used some sorta of flash movie player gui that had no gamma controls. Also at that time I guess they didn't have enough sponsorship (or poor coding) so they'd loop the SAME freaking Ad everytime.

(I can almost recite the fantastic four:rise of the surfer trailer in verbatim :evil: )

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

lets hear it!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Unfortunately, I got used to watching stuff like Heroes in HD. And this year, my graphics card can actually play HD without stuttering so it should be even better.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.