FIOS

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

FIOS

Post by Jonathan »

http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFios

Anybody looked into this yet? With 802.11n equipment starting to become reasonably priced. I'm looking for any excuse to ditch Comcast and build up some hate for a new company.

The problem is that we're in an apartment. In a building that was built in 1920?

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

George has been using it for months now, so he's probably the best bet regarding info.

I'm scheduling an installation appointment after my current project ends.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Update

I got connected to FiOS ~2 weeks ago. The connection itself is grand (30/5), but the ActionTec MI424-WR SUCKS.

To clarify, the MI424-WR has a 1000 entry NAT table and an entry timeout that exceeds 10 hours (or so posters say). When all the entries are used, no new connections can be made, with seemingly no preemption. It can only consistently sustain 96 simultaneous connections without dropping all over the place ( link ). Both parameters seem unmodifiable via soft/firmware. As expected, BitTorrent fills up the table incredibly fast.

Just FYI, my old D-Link DGL-4300 has an 8000 entry NAT table, supposedly a lower timeout, and can sustain 180 simultaneous connections.

An example of a real life aggravation is not being able to remote desktop in. Besides waiting for connections to timeout, the only way to clear the table is a soft/hard reset of the router, which I've been doing every 1-2 days.

However, there is an annoying workaround, and that's configuring the MI424-WR as a network bridge. This is NOT simple. Here's an informative forum thread. Despite all the posts, it's difficult to sift through it all and find relevant info, due to the plethora of setups: Direct ethernet vs. MoCa, DCHP vs PPPoE, etc. I personally fall into the MoCA and DCHP camp. Page 11's post by SidneySM is the most useful one I've found, complete with an mp4 video.

For those unfamiliar with MoCA, it's used by Verizon to connect your optical network terminal (ONT*) to your existing cable infrastructure. This reduces any internal wiring Verizon has to do, and is currently their preferred means of installation. Unfortunately, this requires a MoCA-enabled router, like the ActionTec with a coax port.

Setting up the ActionTec as a network bridge essentially turns it into a coax -> ethernet adapter. All routing and firewall abilities are disabled. This would allow me to hook up my DGL-4300 as if it was directly connected to the ONT.

*An ONT is analogous to a cable modem