"Have you profiled her?"

For general rambling.
Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

"Have you profiled her?"

Post by Peijen »

Was talking to Jason yesterday on the topic of women (we don't really talk much about anything else). And I asked him "Have you profiled her?" Now I think back that was a weird choice of word, but that is what we do.

Are we too analytical for our own good?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Doess this mean:

1. Googled/myspaced/friendstered her and read her profile?
2. Evaluated her on a list of attributes likely to lead to relationship/hooking up success?
3. Decided if she was a serial killer?

If dating in your mid-twenties is fraught with over-analysis and game-theory centric maximization of expected outcomes, don't even think about dating in your mid-thirties. A man I know got married solely because A. they both wanted children and were in their mid-thirties already, and B. they lived in different cities and had to make the call right away because dating was too much hassle. Divorced before the child was 4. Now's he's 44 and using match.com to look for an attractive PhD of the same ethnicity in her thirties in Oregon. Weirdly enough, she doesn't exist.

Once you're past child-bearing age, I understand everything becomes more chill. But man, watch out for those 38-year-old single women. They go straight for the jugular. I shudder for my low-thirties single friends.

Actually, this reminds me of tennis. I played tennis since the fourth grade. I was never any good, but they have leagues for kids who aren't any good, so I had fun. As I got into my teens, though, I noticed all my competition was still preteen and I felt like an ass playing against them. If I won it was expected, if I lost it was extra harsh. The problem was all the kids my age had either given up on tennis long ago cause they sucked or were playing in tournaments and high school games because they were really good and getting ready to play in college sports. High school games don't have a section for sucky kids. So I basically dropped out of tennis until maybe now, when I can find other adults who suck to play with. Of course, not dating for eight years doesn't sound like a good option, does it? Hmm.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I think the answer to your question, buried somewhere in my rambling, is, "Almost certainly yes."

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

sort of 2, but not really. Profiled as in what a 'profiler' do. Guess what she is/does base on observation about her.

Personality, social status, relationship (romance and friends), out going factor, economic well being, etc.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

That's similar to my problem with sports. I was never in particularly good shape and I'm slow to pick up physical skills. So, when I started a new sport where noone had any experience (like fencing, shinkendo, karate), I could hold my own early on, but I'd fall behind slowly until eventually everyone was better than me. Then I'd start to hate the sport, because losing every time isn't fun. I dropped fencing because the people who started a year behind me were starting to beat me. I was better than when I started, but I wasn't improving fast enough to keep up with everyone else and got left behind.

Soccer is interesting because back in elementary school someone actually explained what to do. The standard American sports--baseball, basketball, football--no one explains anything because everyone already knows how to play. So, even though I have no physical aptitude for soccer, I play better than people in better shape because I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Of course, now, the only people I know who play soccer are way too good. All the others, that I could legitimately compete against have the usual prejudice against the sport.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dwindlehop wrote:Doess this mean ...
Of course, not dating for eight years doesn't sound like a good option, does it? Hmm.
Ok. I'm confused. I don't really know what your points were for that post.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but seeing as you married your high school sweetheart, I don't think you have adequate perspective.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Hey, I was specific and used examples! I woulda gotten a 5 if this was an AP English test.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I think the point was:

Code: Select all

If ( age < 32 ) {
  Jason complains we over analyze.
  Jonathan says get over it and find someone now or else wait 'til 40
} elsif ( age >= 32 && age <= 40 ) {
  Jonathan says you're screwed if you date now because of rash decision making.
} else { \\ age > 40
  rash decision making caused by need to make babies over, go on with happy dating.
}
32 and 40 are rough estimates, but definately beware between about 35 and 39.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

So based on what's been said, I should date random people until I am 32. Then get married, have kids, and get a divorce at 40 and start dating random people again?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Peijen wrote:So based on what's been said, I should date random people until I am 32. Then get married, have kids, and get a divorce at 40 and start dating random people again?
Not unless you plan to be extremely attractive or rich or both when you're 40. Otherwise staying married is the path of most sex.

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

Dwindlehop wrote:some crap about profiling
some stuff about dating
a story about tennis
I have a tennis date tomorrow! I have profiled her as "likely not a serial killer".

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I, too, have a tennis date tomorrow. Amber is letting me teach her.

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

Mine went pretty well. We are evenly matched at tennis and must have a rematch! In the meantime, we've been hanging out a few times.

How'd your tennis date go, Jon? Amber still talking to you?

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

So this brings the count of guys on this board with a girl back to 3, or maybe even 4 if you count Martin.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

joesucks

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

quantus wrote:So this brings the count of guys on this board with a girl back to 3, or maybe even 4 if you count Martin.
This is important data? Is it a contest? What degree of commitment or activity garners a point? Can I earn more than one point for more than one girl? I do not understand!

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

No, it's not important, just an observation. I was just counting the number of us guys paired up with a girl, so the Vinny, Peijen and Jason ménage à trois wouldn't count. If Bob has multiple girls, there's still only one tired Bob, so he counts as just one.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Another observation I just came up with is that Jonathan, Bob, me and Martin are all white... hence this

I think the only reason George doesn't have a girl is because he wanted to be the counter argument before this even came up. One of these days, George and I will agree and the world will end.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Ah, if only the end of the world was the only thing preventing me from getting a girlfriend.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re:

Post by quantus »

Jonathan wrote:
Peijen wrote:So based on what's been said, I should date random people until I am 32. Then get married, have kids, and get a divorce at 40 and start dating random people again?
Not unless you plan to be extremely attractive or rich or both when you're 40. Otherwise staying married is the path of most sex.
It seems that Peijen is following Jonathan's advice, but I guess we really won't know for another decade...