blaster/lovlan

For general rambling.
Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Dwindlehop wrote:actually, mine's reasonably sane and yours is bullshit. i wouldn't ever go to any training if i was still expected to work that time.
Yeah, I don't get extra pay for training, but having to make it up is bullshit

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

agreed. Jason needs a new job or to research his company policy better. Any VP/manager who set that up needs to be drawn, quartered, hung, shot, etc... Any manager silly enough to enforce such a policy isn't fit to manage because undoubtably his reports detest him and therefore don't want to work for him at all.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

well I wasn't completely clear on this, they do it in more a round about way. When you take compliance training here you have to charge an overhead charge which technically you don't have to makeup, but if you've taken up any time in that overhead pool, you're not supposed to take up any in the pool you use if you're sick or have a death in the family, so techinically unless your life is boring as fuck and you don't get sick then you don't have to make up that time.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

dead family members make for an interesting life. qed.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jason wrote:well I wasn't completely clear on this, they do it in more a round about way. When you take compliance training here you have to charge an overhead charge which technically you don't have to makeup, but if you've taken up any time in that overhead pool, you're not supposed to take up any in the pool you use if you're sick or have a death in the family, so techinically unless your life is boring as fuck and you don't get sick then you don't have to make up that time.
huh? I don't get it. It still is a dumb policy if I understand what you said, but if I didn't, then it's really dumb. I'm betting on not understanding...

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Ah, overhead, the magic account all companies seem to use. In general, overhead is any expense incurred during work that isn't directedly being funded by a project, etc. As can be expected overhead is also directly opposed to profitability, so it isn't all good. However, I've never heard of a limited amount of overhead; certainly not one that infringes on personal crises. At most, charging too much overhead gets one negative attention, for lack of a better term.

Incidentally, I found out that the doctor's appointment I had on Monday counts as paid sick leave. So that's why people thought unlimited sick days was so impressive. Yes, I wouldn't know if a coworker didn't overhear. Must read benefits more closely and reimburse the co-pay.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I love how CMU's policy is actually the simplest and least time consuming way of keeping idiots off the network who are infecting everyone else's computer.

http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid ... &op=Change

AuthBridge really is a nice solution to the problem. Now why isn't CMU actually selling this to other universities for a hefty fee? We could use the revenue for more bandwidth or *cough* lower tuition *cough*. Universities are businesses for sure, so why don't they just drop the facade and act like it.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

So I was browsing through this stuff (procrastination, anyone?) and I realized I can't remember the last time work got shut down due to a worm. What happened to all the good exploits? Or hass Intel's IT department figured something out?

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Someone's probably just waiting and building up a huge network of stealth hacked systems.

Or, all the hackers got hired by companies infecting people with adware for fun and profit.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

SKynet is just lurking
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: blaster/lovlan

Post by Jonathan »

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03 ... d-malware/

All the exploits grew up, put on suits, and got real jobs!

Shit, we are living in a Neal Stephenson novel. I should be way cooler?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: blaster/lovlan

Post by Jonathan »