Pocket management

For general rambling.
Alan
Veteran Doodler

Pocket management

Post by Alan »

In the spirit of Dave's Key and Wallet allocation threads, I'd like to start a discussion about pocket management concerns.

I used to carry my keys and cell phone in my right pocket, and my wallet in my left pocket. When I got my iPhone, I obviously could no longer keep keys in the same pocket, so I shifted my keys to my left pocket, making for a rather bulky pocket.

Ever since I started my surgery rotation in March, I've needed to cut down on how much I carry, because when I wear scrubs there's only a back pocket and a shirt pocket. Well, there's my white coat with its 4 large pockets and breast pocket, but when I go into the OR I have to leave it on a rack where any passer-by could loot it, so I can't keep anything important in those pockets.

I was able to eliminate the wallet by attaching a change purse to my keychain. I keep my cash, driver's licence, school ID, and check card in the change purse. I also got a holster for my iPhone so I don't have to use any pocket space for that anymore when I'm at the hospital. Wearing a holster when you're not working makes you look like a dork.

So now with my scrubs, I keep my keys in my back pocket, and my iPhone in its holster directly above the pocket to make access to my back pocket difficult for would-be pickpockets. When I'm in street clothes I now keep my iPhone in my left pocket and my keys/"wallet" in my right.

I thought I'd miss having a wallet, but actually I've found I rarely ever need anything besides cash, my IDs, and one credit card (or check card).

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Re: Pocket management

Post by Peijen »

I think you need a fanny pack. So does Dave.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I put my cash in the void where my balls used to be.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Keys-front right pants
Phone, checkbook, notepad, comb-left front pants
Wallet-back left
Badge-left shirt pocket (or left front pants if shirt lacks pocket)
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

George wrote:checkbook
Why on earth do you carry your checkbook around?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Alan wrote:Well, there's my white coat with its 4 large pockets and breast pocket, but when I go into the OR I have to leave it on a rack where any passer-by could loot it, so I can't keep anything important in those pockets.
Ummm, don't you get a locker or something?

My fiancee suggests that you get a bra and just stuff the phone, cash and cards in the bra...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Freshman year I remember using the dorm key + id badge thingy which also served as a mini-wallet too.

I always figurred most people put their wallets in their back pockets, and I was weird for putting it in my front pockets. Or it might just be a white thing. Geeorge.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

quantus wrote:
Alan wrote:Well, there's my white coat with its 4 large pockets and breast pocket, but when I go into the OR I have to leave it on a rack where any passer-by could loot it, so I can't keep anything important in those pockets.
Ummm, don't you get a locker or something?

My fiancee suggests that you get a bra and just stuff the phone, cash and cards in the bra...
Med students don't get lockers.