Cash allocation & distribution.

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Cash allocation & distribution.

Post by Dave »

I got into this conversation the other day when someone was paying back some money for pizza or whatnot and the recievee said "You don't organize your money to have all the bills face up?". then after a few stupid comments with Ben Affleck in Daredevil, this is how I seperate my bills.

Wallet - 1 "main compartment, seperated into 2 sub-compartments by a thin leather/cloth wall. henceforth designated as "inside" and "outside" relative to its folded/stowed configuration.

Wallet Orientation from stowed to open = > |

Outside Compartment - $1 inserted flat. $5 folded in half and placed to the "left" of the $1s. $10s folder in half and placed to the "right" of the $1s. Bills folded in half are placed opposite of the credit cards to even the bulk.

Inside compartment - $20 inserted flat. $50 in half to the left, $100 folded in half to the right. Back-up check(s) also inserted flat to the right of all bills.

I'm not OCD enough to make sure all the bills are facing the same way, and flattened with corners perfect tho. I just do it this way, so I don't have to actually look into my wallet to know what I'd be pulling out. I swear I don't visit strip clubs as much as this seems to imply.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

yeah... I just put ten and less in the first part, and 20 and more in the second. no facing or what so ever

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Ok, if it's not for the strip clubs, then what sorts of situations are you in that you have both hands free, yet no attention to spare looking into your wallet? Are you too attached to video games to take a minute to look away and pay for the pizza you ordered? I just don't comprehend the need for this level of organization. I can see sorting your bills, but this seems excessive. What happens when you don't have a $1? Will you just not spend your last $1 so this won't happen?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I don't have separate compartments, but I do try to keep ordering from smaller to larger. It just makes paying for things easier.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

How many transactions are you really doing in cash as opposed to debit or credit cards?

Cash for me is mostly to avoid paying the silly fee that some gas stations charge for debit and vending machines and the occasional lunch when the line is going slow because it takes longer to process a credit transaction than cash. I just don't need cash that much anymore.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I use cash to control spending on routine transactions and to make splitting a check easy.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Its just they way I've always organized my wallet, I only use cash these days to buy lunch or sodas anyways, so there really isn't any reason.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I generally keep all bills unfolded and ordered by denomination. However, often when I receive change at a register, I don't want to hold up the line. In those cases, I sometimes stuff all the bills together into about the right place for them, without unfolding or sorting them. Usually I'll sort them next time I'm waiting in line and have my wallet out.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Well yea, when I pay for stuff with a 20 in a drive thru or at lunch I usually just put my wallet back in my man-purse and just shove the resulting change in my redistribution center (my pants)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:Well yea, when I pay for stuff with a 20 in a drive thru or at lunch I usually just put my wallet back in my man-purse and just shove the resulting change in my redistribution center (my pants)
me too

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Re: Cash allocation & distribution.

Post by Vyrosama »

As I starting reading Dave's post on how he arranges money in his wallet, I starting to think to myself "man, this is a complete waste of time to read" and yet I was compelled to finish reading the entire thread and finally pull out my wallet to see what I do....

I basically do what George does. I don't really think about folding or special placement though...that seems like a lot of work...

I do try to use credit as much as possible. I hate change, cash requires more effort to track (since I only use one credit card I can see all my monthly spending and what categories and whatnot plus I can import my statement into Quicken/Money if I really wanted to be anal about analyzing/controlling my spending habits), and I like those free "points" you can redeem for cashback/rewards on the card 8)