Spam washer

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Spam washer

Post by Jonathan »

My email address (jonathan@pearce.name) is a forwarding account. Currently, it points to my ISP's mailbox. I access my ISP's POP3 server and read my email on my Hiptop. Lately, I have been receiving enough spam to want to do something about it.

Given the constraints of the Hiptop platform, I am unable to do any client-side filtering. I need to arrange my email in such a way that the spam is cleaned out before it hits my inbox. I could do so, I suppose, with my spare Linux box. Point my forwarding account to the Linux machine, filter spam, bounce all the non-spam to my ISP mailbox, and read it on my Hiptop. However, I was wondering if anyone had heard of a service that will do this for me. I imagine something that I point my email address at. It sucks in all the mail I receive and spits out only the non-spam. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Incidently, I have been getting almost exclusively free association spam, the kind that has random words together with a URL. It's usually not possible to tell what the product is that they're selling. I wonder what the response rate on that kind of spam is. It took Mozilla's Bayesian filter a while to learn how to differentiate that kind of spam, but now it regularly identifies it as spam.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

i think there are web mails that does what you wanted. foreward all your email to that account, filters, send it to alternate account. However I only heard a bit about it, not sure who offers the service.