Super Intelligence

Just the urls, ma'am.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Super Intelligence

Post by Jonathan »

http://idlewords.com/talks/superintelligence.htm

Personally I don't think strong AI is possible in a classical computer.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Super Intelligence

Post by quantus »

Are you saying that cognition relies on something that Turing complete computation doesn't provide? Or are you saying that semiconductors won't scale to a point that will intersect with what would be necessary for cognition? Or the AI would need access to lots of robots/manufacturing in order to perform the basic science that would be necessary for evolutionary leaps. Or something else is a limiting factor?

It would have to be an AI trained with expertise in many fields before it could start to become a strong AI for sure... If we silo the information provided to each AI instance, and disallow them to communicate directly, we could probably prevent a strong AI. Without a wide range of experiences, I don't think a human-level AI would have the "imagination" to become a strong AI.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Super Intelligence

Post by Jonathan »

quantus wrote:Are you saying that cognition relies on something that Turing complete computation doesn't provide?
This, yes.

All other objections can be resolved with sufficient time. A sort of "Long Now" project if I were wrong with the entity operating at 1/1000th time would be something.