Heroes of the Storm

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Post by Jonathan »

I installed it!

In DOTA2, I liked playing ranged agility or intelligence supports who could push a lane by themselves. What HotS hero should I try?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

They just reset the "free" hero list, and never really played dota/lol so I have no real insight on what chracter to play, but generally recommend Ranged > Support > Melee, unless you play with people that stick together. I did one game as Thrall this morning and died a bunch since I couldn't aim his attacks worth a damn and usually forget to retreat.

I'm really not too excited about any of the free heroes this week, except maybe dying a bunch on Illidan and pooping some beetles out from Anub'arak. Though may end up liking a few more than expected, but from seeing most of them in play the last week may just level them to 5 and avoid them forever.

I say thrall first to die a few times.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Why doesn't the official website list talents? Abilities are useless without knowing what the talents do.

https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent- ... tor/raynor

This seems vaguely useful. It was the first result in a Google search.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Man, Thrall seems awful. He's all about managing your Frost Resilience stacks so you get heals when you need them. I can barely keep track of when my abilities are on cooldown!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:I installed it!

In DOTA2, I liked playing ranged agility or intelligence supports who could push a lane by themselves. What HotS hero should I try?
Sylvanas sounds like the best fit for you. She's a ranger-type who has arrows that paralyze creeps and disable towers, and has a ton of sustain damage (but not much burst).

Other good lane pushers are Asmodan (big hulking guy who spawns minions and hurls fireballs), Gazlowe (goblin with a big puppet of some sort who makes turrets, throws bombs, and has a big laser beam), Sgt Hammer (a Starcraft tank), Zagara (zerg queen).

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dave wrote:They just reset the "free" hero list, and never really played dota/lol so I have no real insight on what chracter to play, but generally recommend Ranged > Support > Melee, unless you play with people that stick together. I did one game as Thrall this morning and died a bunch since I couldn't aim his attacks worth a damn and usually forget to retreat.

I'm really not too excited about any of the free heroes this week, except maybe dying a bunch on Illidan and pooping some beetles out from Anub'arak. Though may end up liking a few more than expected, but from seeing most of them in play the last week may just level them to 5 and avoid them forever.

I say thrall first to die a few times.
LiLi is actually pretty fun to play, unlike other healers you don't need to target her heals so you can just mash the Q key and focus your attention more on doing damage/blinding enemies.

Anub'arak is currently the best tank in the game. From what I've seen in games I've watched I don't really have that much interest in playing him though.

Illidan seems like a character I would just play badly and die repeatedly as too.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Leveled Thrall and ETC to level 5 so now it's onto even squishier heroes! Didn't reallh enjoy either of them even when winning. Seem to be playing in a lot of 0 support games.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yeah I rarely get games that have even one support on either team.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent- ... agara#oAlr

Played a few games as Zagara with Vinny and [insert Vinny's friend's name here]. I tried max Hamming distance in my talents every game to try to get a feel for the different options.

With Envenomed Spines, I think I got top hero damage. I never got good siege damage.

I think I'll work towards Azmodan or buy him.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dave and I played together yesterday, him on Anub'arak and me on Zeratul, map was Cursed Hollows. I think it was the first time either of us played those heroes. After sucking for the first 10 minutes and getting slaughtered at every teamfight we turned things around and ended up winning via grabbing the boss!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yep, I think I burrowed just past the enemy wall three times and getting stuck and dying to towers before I decided I should probably stop doing that.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Dave wrote:Yep, I think I burrowed just past the enemy wall three times and getting stuck and dying to towers before I decided I should probably stop doing that.
s/Anub'arak/Illidan/ and you'd have me last night!
Of 3x deaths in 1x game, 2x were from diving an enemy and ending up behind their gate :(

I got a hang of Illidan once the "he has no mp" + "basic attacks reduce his cooldowns by 1 second" sunk in. Illidan's really an all-or-nothing type character.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Jonathan wrote:https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent- ... agara#oAlr

Played a few games as Zagara with Vinny and [insert Vinny's friend's name here]. I tried max Hamming distance in my talents every game to try to get a feel for the different options.

With Envenomed Spines, I think I got top hero damage. I never got good siege damage.

I think I'll work towards Azmodan or buy him.
I definitely liked Zagara on my run to level 5 with her.
Of note, "Rapid Incubation" at lv7 led to incredible sustain (just remember it's a channel; cancelling halts the effect!); I very rarely need to 'b' (return to base) with her.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Played Anub'arak today with Dave and Xef.
He's crazy good (OP?!)
That is all (for now!)

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I won a game with Illidan this morning! He gets pretty crazy at then end, lots of buttons to mash, but fail at using his heroics without dying instantly.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Someone posted a guide criticizing Muradin's performance as a "jungler". What does that even mean in HotS? Defeating mercs?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Jonathan wrote:Someone posted a guide criticizing Muradin's performance as a "jungler". What does that even mean in HotS? Defeating mercs?
Or bribing, some heroes have talents that let you bribe them.

I finally hit level 5 with the free heroes, but had the level stimpack bonus expiring soon!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Just in case anyone hasn't found these already:

http://www.heroesfire.com for build information and hero guides.

http://www.hotslogs.com for info about hero win rates and most popular/highest win rate % builds

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Alan wrote:Just in case anyone hasn't found these already:

http://www.heroesfire.com for build information and hero guides.

http://www.hotslogs.com for info about hero win rates and most popular/highest win rate % builds
I just assume those are for 5v5 hero league usually, and just pick the solo-healing spec for most classes! heh

My level 7 stimpack finally ran out, did hit level 9 on Valla, and working on Jaina 5 now! She's pretty good. Lots of burst!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I have Azmodan. I like Zagara as well. Need to try Sylvanas!