May 2005 Links

Just the urls, ma'am.
bob
Poser

Post by bob »

VLSmooth wrote:Video Game Sprites ( Link )
"Feel free to use these sprites," [to which we do not even remotely own the copyright]. I like that they give us permission to use all of the sprites there. Really classy.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Jason wrote:woot
I blame it on vinny

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

http://m-w.com/info/favorite_not_prev.htm

I refuse to believe that enough people suggested this word, that it made it into the list previous favorites non-words.

nudenda (n): a nudist's unhidden agenda
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

nudenda? Yeah, wtf? That sounds like a place you go to hang out with naked people. I bet what happened is that one person sent it in and the Merriam-Webster people are so damned boring that they thought this clever word was the funniest thing ever, so they either put it up on the page immediately or put it up there with a subtle hint that everyone else who's really really into made-up words should vote for it. Either way, it's a really dumb word.

Did you know that most girls really hate the word "moist"? You can try this out with your [close friend, wife, girlfriend, random person on the street]. Just tell her you want her opinion of a word, and then give her that one.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yeah, all the kids at the hospital are using woot now.

By all the kids I mean the most socially awkward maladjusted ones.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.pbs.org/fmc/book/4family1.htm

Did you know that the median age for a man getting married in 1900 was 26 and in 1996 it was 27? Or that 41 percent of the adult population in America is unmarried?
Cohabitation was considered disreputable (“living in sin”), often illegal, and quantitatively unimportant throughout most of the century. It became legal around 1970 with the removal of statutory restraints such as false registration laws, which prevented unmarried couples from checking into a hotel, and customary restraints, such as the refusal of landlords to rent to unmarried couples.
No wonder grandparents are so disapproving.