Outbox

Just the urls, ma'am.
VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Outbox

Post by VLSmooth »

https://www.outboxmail.com/ (video on main page)
How does it work?

Create an account and we'll pick up and digitize your postal mail three times a week.

View your mail anywhere, anytime.

Request any mail item and we'll deliver it to you.
Interesting concept sans the holy crap privacy part.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Outbox

Post by quantus »

Ah, privacy would be no worse than your email provider.

Features I think are missing:
  • OCR
  • Rule based filtering (available in modern email systems) (enabled by OCR)
  • Use labels/tags instead of stupid folders (available in modern email) (auto-labeling enabled by rule system (at minimum, use sieve like everyone else))
  • maybe auto email all OCR'ed mail so we can use a modern email client (security would suck, but would get the previous 2 features for "free")
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

George
Veteran Doodler

Re: Outbox

Post by George »

Privacy would be worse because of the content. E-mail is generally assumed to be insecure, so most companies don't send really sensitive stuff except when asked. So, there's a limit to what a disgruntled ISP employee can do. On the other hand, imagine what they could do with a single social security statement.

It also screws you when you need to show proof of residence. It's been a while, but as I recall, I had to bring postmarked, delivered mail to get my driver's license and library card. Also, the only thing that stopped Maryland from charging me income taxes four years before I moved there was a couple of hard copies in my files that showed that I was in fact living and working in Atlanta. Maybe someday the government will accept electronic evidence, but I doubt it.

Junk mail does waste enough of my time to annoy me, but the solution to that is a Do Not Mail registry.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.