Der iPad

Just the urls, ma'am.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Der iPad

Post by Jonathan »

http://live.gizmodo.com/

I am mostly bleh. If this form factor takes off I am entirely hopeful the Taiwanese bung together some Moorestown based clones. I don't foresee buying one myself, clone or original.

I am wondering if they're going to sell it in partnership with cellular providers. Stay tuned!
Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Intel's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Der iPad

Post by Jonathan »

http://i.gizmodo.com/5370252/apple-tabl ... -magazines

Alright, iPad pool time! Count me in as iPad will not redefine newspapers, textbooks, and magazines. Fiddy cent.
Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Intel's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

iBooks is interesting, but only if they are device agnostic (which I doubt).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

As is now usual, The Onion covered this in the distant past.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/a ... olutionary

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ - $500 for iTouch-style, $630(?) for iPhone-style. Wonder if there will be any carrier discounts/cross promotions.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

yeah...what market are they targeting with this device anyway?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I'll guess the netbook market? Kind of expensive though. Fail stock price!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh Noes! Steve has been shrunk to tiny size! Quick, use your ludicrously oversized iphone, Steve!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.theroot.com/views/tech-execs ... apple-ipad
Tech & Media Exec (who needs to remain anonymous)

1) The product as shown today will NOT be the bulk of iPad sales in five years. Apple constantly upgrades its product line and adds more features and / or lowers price (compare the original iPhone three years ago with the current 3GS). With 4G, more storage (128GB), video conferencing and tailored applications this product may dominate the way many leading edge consumers (youth, student, urban) interact with media and each other. MSFT and the CE (Sony, Dell, etc.) community should be very afraid.

2) Products like this will not only accelerate the shift of people away from the cable providers video services (with iTunes), but will move them from non-wireless broadband at home (with AT&T and VZ picking up the slack), since it will be easy for those telcos to bundle HS data plans with this device at point-of-sale.

3) Amazon and other retail stores have already felt Apple's presence in music and video. They may may huge inroads into the book market (esp. if textbook providers push this), which could alter those companies growth plans

4) This could take multimedia social networking to the next level (once it gets video conferencing, etc.). The key is to view Apple's devices as platform / category plays, rather than one-offs. No one thought that third-party apps would become a daily part of our lives with the orginal 2G iPhone launch. I can't wait to see what devs do with this in a few years, when the third rev of this device is out.

All in all, today may have been a let-down with all the hype, but this will be a pretty big deal in a few years.
Yeah, what he said. This could be pretty hot in 2015 or so.

Edit: (youth, student, urban) black people != students != kids

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Flash will kill the iPad.

The iPad will kill Flash.

I actually don't have a horse in this race. I'm thinking the fate of each is actually largely independent of the other. Adobe is going to lose market share or not on the strength of their evolution of their stack. It'll be interesting to see what the browsers do with HTML5 and hardware acceleration, if anything.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

We need an iWatch version of this thread.

(I have 2 iPads now)
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

One for your wife and one for Calvin? None for you!

Flash is definitely about dead...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://stratechery.com/2014/diminished-ipad/
Footnote #1: I’m using Mac as a stand-in for all PCs;
!

John Hodgman would like a word with you.

What's really impressive is that Apple extracted $30 billion in profit and counting on a platform they intend to abandon. Their ability to ramp demand is to be commended.