Links 3

Just the urls, ma'am.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Links 3

Post by Jonathan »

Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.tipmagazine.com/tip/INPHFA/v ... -5/p8.html

Fascinating account of how cascading technological fuckups made possible by deregulation caused the blackout this summer.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Your Rights

Post by Jonathan »

http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/

The EFF's site about the fight over the proposed Broadcast Flag for television.

http://www.eetimes.com/issue/fp/OEG20020920S0062

And an EE Times article about same.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

'Ghettopoly' board game stirs protest
A new Monopoly-style board game based on racial stereotypes has sparked an uproar among blacks and others nationwide, with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People calling this week for production and sale of the game to stop.

Hasbro Inc., the maker of Monopoly, Friday threatened to sue the game's creator if he didn't immediately stop selling "Ghettopoly."

The game includes among its board pieces a rock of crack cocaine, a pimp, a basketball and a 40-ounce bottle of beer. Advertised on a Ghettopoly Web site, the game was the brainchild of David Chang, an Asian-American who has been marketing it through Urban Outfitters, an international chain based in Philadelphia.

The game's object is to put crack houses or housing projects into the worst neighborhoods on the board while trying to avoid being car-jacked, shot or addicted to drugs.

For example, one game card, titled Hustle, says: "You are a little short on loot, so you decided to stick up a bank. Collect $75." Another reads: "You got yo' whole neighborhood addicted to crack. Collect $50 from each playa."

Kweisi Mfume, president of the NAACP, wrote to Chang.

"It is disturbing that you would choose to promote and capitalize off such negative aspects of society that cause great harm to the African-American community at large," Mfume said in his letter Thursday.

Officials for Urban Outfitters did not return repeated calls for comment. On Friday, a woman at the company's corporate headquarters in Philadelphia, who identified herself only as a receptionist, said the game has been pulled from shelves.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Official Ghettopoly page
http://www.ghettopoly.com/

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

except for the money, there's actually nothing I see that specifically points to african americans at all and just is targetted at slums in which all races live.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice the logo.

BTW, went here and found some other stuff they're marketing. Man, they should've stopped with the game and not made a ghettopoly thong or baby bib.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

The media attention it's getting now will probably sell more copies of the game than if they had left it alone.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

If said game hasn't truely been "removed from the shelves", it's VERY likely.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

but you can still buy it online

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://clickworkers.arc.nasa.gov/top

SETI@home for rail-gun whores.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://brickfilms.com/

"We are a community dedicated to the art of stop motion animation." With Legos.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

http://www.thetartan.org/98/7/news/4048.asp

Are bedrails really that necessary? 4 years in a bunk and I've never fallen.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Heh, freshman year I remember doing a complete somersault off my loft, while turning off my computer alarm, into Jonathan's desk. This is the only time I've fallen out of a bunk bed, and I didn't get hurt at all. Heck, it didn't even fully wake me up. 8)

If I remember correctly, Alan also rolled off of his loft freshman year, but he would know better than I.

So this is a link post, get your Hello Kitty 8MB PS2 Memory Cards here!
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/HP2-93.html
Description:
It really was only a matter of time before Sanrio's kitty kat adorned a PS2 memory card. Colored pink with a spotted background, the memory card features Hello Kitty's plaintive face as she peers out and five colorful roses surround her.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I fell out one time when I was sick freshman year. Luckily I caught myself halfway down and only got a bruise.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I fell out of bed twice freshman year. The first time I landed on the floor, which woke me up. Bob was like "Holy shit are you okay?" I was like "Yeah, I'm fine." I vaguely remember that it hurt, or maybe I remember that it probably should've hurt. But when I woke up the next morning (or afternoon or evening or whatever...this was freshman year..) I didn't feel anything.

The second time I fell out of bed I woke up just as I started falling, grabbed the side of the bedframe and flipped myself over and landed sitting in my chair. Yeah, I know. I sure was impressed too. I wish I could have videotaped that somehow.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Ars Technica wrote:Identity thief steals the identity of a sex offender
Posted 10/16/2003 @ 11:19 AM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

This is short, but sweet. From the Serves-You-Right,-Jerk Department comes a little story about an ID thief who got more than he bargained for.
Police said James Perry stole the name and identity of a neighbor who turned out to be a convicted sex offender. Perry stole the identity of Robert Kowalski in order to obtain a driver's license, police said. Perry was living in Florida at the time and Kowalski was his neighbor. Perry had four drunken driving arrests which he believed would make it difficult to get a license legally in Connecticut, police said. Perry moved to Connecticut about a year ago and things went well until Perry was arrested for disorderly conduct. A routine computer check found that "Kowalski" was a convicted sex offender in Michigan and not registered as required with the state of Connecticut. Every bit of identification in his possession labeled the suspect as "Kowalski," but man himself was adamant that he was not a convicted sex offender, police said.
I've seen something analogous to this online once, when a guy dying for attention did his best to spoof the identity of a well known warez kingpin. The end result was that the kid got hacked and he ended up serving warez from his dorm computer. Within a matter of days, University officials called him on the carpet and he almost got booted from school. The moral: stealing IDs is bad, mmkay?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1338767,00.asp

Wrapped up in a big ugly story about making today's kids play yesterday's video games are priceless gems of twelve-year-olds talking trash.
Tim: My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis. [Misses ball] Whoops.
EGM: Who's that chick Mario is rescuing up there?

Brian: It's Princess Peach.

Kirk: It's a hooker.

Niko: She looks cut in half.

Tim: Oh wow—she's one of those pole dancers.
Kirk: I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »