Uber self-driving cars: not very good

Just the urls, ma'am.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Uber self-driving cars: not very good

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/tech ... d=tw-share

Am I the only one who thinks, "The ability to create a scheduling app really has nothing to do with the ability to create an autonomous vehicle?" I don't understand why Uber has any credibility at all in this area.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Uber self-driving cars: not very good

Post by quantus »

Agreed. Their competitive advantages lies in the speed in which they can get a ride to a user. Also, their partnership with organizations that need to provide rides to their constituents. For example, Uber now provides health service which gives rides to patients needing to get scheduled treatments like dialysis or chemotherapy scheduled by the organizations providing those treatments.

As far as why do self-driving tech, all that anyone I've discussed this with could come up with was a lame argument that it's better to be vertically integrated. My response was to ask where Uber planned to manufacture their cars or which car manufacturer are they going to buy. From the flip side of the coin, if a company can do self-driving cars, they can probably do a scheduling app which would obviate the need for Uber in the long run.

I don't think Uber has the safety know-how in their software development process to do this right. I think they're lucky they haven't killed more people already...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

It may be a gross generalization about Uber, but what we know about their corporate culture does not inspire confidence in how much priority they place on safety.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads