World of Warcraft

pew pew pew
Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Haha, I haven't even made a conscious decision to quit, I just wasn't able to log in one day and forgot about it. For me if I stop playing a MMORPG (or any game for that matter) for a couple of days it wears off and I no longer feel like getting back into it.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

ha, remind me never to play a game with you ever again!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Clearly Alan needs more self-discipline. His priorities must be really screwed up if he goes days without playing.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Well, I hit 60 last week. As expected, all that is left to do boils down to getting better equipment. So here is my "ive reached the level cap" view of WoW. Wow is by far, the easiest game ever. Although, I did pick a solo class (Hunter) which has all the nice perks of an early travel mode, mini-map tracking, pet tank, ranged attack, and semi reliable way to survive when things turn bad. Bonus for being a dwarf and being able to track treasure chests. The "grind" wasn't really a grind, and really hadnt been aiming to actually level up since getting Level 40 and a mount. Gold is remarkably easy to make in WoW. People that complain about gold problems are probably the same people that max out their credit cards IRL. In FFXI you actually had to farm/camp to get gil to afford acceptable grinding equipment. WoW the cash just flows in as you explore, quest, or grind. From 40 on I tried to explore all the areas within the correct level ranges to do as many quests as possible before they become trivially easy for faction fame. Very few things are worth selling on the Auction House for a profit, so the majority is just selling stuff to npcs. I admit FFXI's AH system is a lot more attractive, but much less volatile and harder to find a good "deal/steal". All that is left for me to do after 60 is to finish the intersting quests/boss fights in the dungeons where all the "phat" loot is, and do some PvP that involved semi-balanced forces, which probably won't happen until the expansion, which may or maynot be worth sticking around for. :?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Dave beat another MMORPG...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Well, that took almost exactly one month. If Dave was really conscientious, he could beat and quit the game in the free-play period, thus shelling out only $50 for his MMORPG fix. If if he fiddles around for the month of February and then quits, that's still only $65. Pretty good! It's like a really long-ass RPG at that rate.

I wonder what the ebay market value of a level 60 Wow character is.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

So, Dave, what's your prediction? Will the masses be leaving in droves after gently reaching the top, peering around quizzically, and realizing there's nothing left, or is the easiest game ever Blizzard's ticket to subscription revenue heaven?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I have around 1000G on my charcter currently, whould would sell to IGE for ~$200. I used the IGE account buying calculator (sad that they actually had to write one), and a 60 Hunter would sell for $120. So, $200 + $120 - $65 = losar.

There really isnt anything for level 60s to do other than get better items, but that has always been the problem in just about every MMORPG anyways. It's just easier to reach the level cap in WoW than in other games Ive played. Battlegrounds is just supposed to be organized/purposeful PvP, but still has item rewards, etc. If they keep adding new content every month or so, I think WoW will last at least as long as Diablo 2. Which, i hear, is still going strong with a new ladder thingy

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Just to chime in.

I'm pretty sure no one here faults WoW for being "easy" (could be wrong?), but on the flipside, the FIRST chapter of FFXI's Chains of Promathia expansion was significantly dumbed down. The commonly agreed upon reason (since SE isn't telling us), is because it was too hard / the majority of players sucked too much ._.

(note: I competed it pre-patch and post-patch to help people, and they made it laughly easy in comparison. More unskilled people in Tavnazia -_-)

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Get 75 already and get into some raid guild already! You've been playing for over a year! You belong to the majority of players that suck too much! :P

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

VLSmooth wrote:is because it was too hard / the majority of players sucked too much ._.
Wow, we turn vinny from "I don't see what's the point" into "I am a l33t playa" in a year. Good job team.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Vinny would like playing a Rogue in WoW.. a lot more twitch than THFs in FFXI. Because VInny could be a 1337 player and write long faqs/posts about something other than SATA.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I heard you gots to wait in line when you play Battlegrounds, and once you play a game then you get kicked to the back of the line.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dave wrote:faqs/posts about something other than SATA.
Where has he written long faq's about SATA?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.side-quest.com/random/comic.php?comic=83

That just says it all about WoW.

http://www.side-quest.com/tlabs/comic.php?comic=37

Fair's fair, though. This says it all about CoH.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

That being said, there's a lot we as players can do to make sure that the server doesn't hork, especially when so many of us are playing at once.

First of all, we have to stop raiding one area with hundreds of players. It sounds cool to take three full 40 man raid groups to one spot in Alliance territory, but once you get there and the battle starts, the fun stops. For everyone.

Personally, I think Panda and its sister guilds should really stop raiding and just level. We have plenty of time to face the Arcadian forces in Battlegrounds and as we quest in contested areas.

When we do raid, we should never assemble a team larger than 15-20 people and we should only stay in one area to make our prescence known, rack up some honor kills and then get out.
This is lame. 4.hojillion players divided up into umptety-ump servers, and then you can't have more than 40 guys fighting or the server crashes. Somebody make an actual MMOG, please.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Im so going to play wow again when the expansion comes out. Level up to the new level cap, get bored, and quit again.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Beat the WoW expansion, then play Eve's new n00b intro which is coming out in a couple weeks. It's supposed to be less boring/mind-boggingly confusing than the original tutorial. In space, no one can hear Dave scream!

Seriously, Eve has the best "endgame" of all MMORPGS which seems like your primary gripe after rereading this thread.
1. There's no level cap. There's always a bigger better ship to get. There's one Titan pilot in the whole universe. You could be #2! Also, if you get bored with one race's ships, you can experiment with the other 3 with the same character, with all the isk and support skills that entails. And it's even easier changing "classes" because all you have to do is dock and change ships.
2. There's no raiding for the best equipment. There's no complex that's not runnable by 6 guys who know what they're doing. Moreover, people run the complexes to sell the drops, not use them. All the officer drops are available on the market/escrow. All the pirate faction ships, all the racial navy ships, all the T2 ships, every high level ship or module is available on the market.

Actually, Eve is lacking in PvE "endgame" content for large (40-man) gangs. The highest level missions are definitely solo-able with plenty of skills and a smart fitting. When they add Factional Warfare, some of that stuff might get added in, but it's far from the only thing to do.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Tried NWN2, runs like shit, still in wow withdrawl - where evry game I play sucks and I don't get have the willpower to get past the learning curve. Happened when I tried the Eve trial too. Wasn't impressed by the FF12 demo so haven't played that either. FF13 looks pimp tho.

< nub

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

lol.. I got into the WoW Expansion beta and made my level 1 Bloodelf Hunter!! Too bad I dont really want to grind levels again and I can't copy over my level 60s because my account isnt active anymore... must not give in!