Artifact

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Artifact

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote: Yeah it’s definitely midrange, not aggro. I started out trying to create an aggro list but it kept shifting more midrange.
Would Disciple be preferred over Oath, then?

I'm not sure what is correct re: Hourglass. Mostly I queue into RB, where it doesn't feel as good.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

That looks like a solid draft deck.

I prefer Debbie. Her statline is superior in most situations and her signature is generally decent enough for draft.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:
Alan wrote: Yeah it’s definitely midrange, not aggro. I started out trying to create an aggro list but it kept shifting more midrange.
Would Disciple be preferred over Oath, then?

I'm not sure what is correct re: Hourglass. Mostly I queue into RB, where it doesn't feel as good.
Yeah maybe Disciple is better, I’ll have to think about that.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJaQTJ ... b3IgU3RvcA__

Here's that BR Minus Armor list. I've been playing it all night and I haven't felt the need to make any changes. I completely took apart a mono R with Pugna. He Nether Warded up left, and I took left without having suffered damage myself via 2x Oath + March + Trebuchets.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Here's my updated list too.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Am I nuts, or should I be running Enough Magic?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I lost to a blue list, but I played myself. I Gooed Bristle instead of a blue hero, which was sufficient to ping him down but not worth. I need to be able to take out an Ogre or Zeus with upkeep pings so the lack of initiative cards doesn't bite me. I also was staring at a board state that was clearly Annihilation ready (and a different one that was Call ready) but didn't jump my black hero with my outs.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Alan wrote:Here's my updated list too.
So far not doing too well with this deck (or a modified version that runs Sorla with Relentless Pursuit and Oath rather than Trebuchets and Disciple). I'm not aggro enough to deal early damage and am too easily controlled by control decks. I haven't really run into any aggro decks. I think I need to either go much more aggressive or more control oriented. When I think of going more aggro mono-black or RB makes more sense. When I think of going more control oriented it's hard to make an argument for what I'm doing versus just going Econ instead. I'll have to review things.
Last edited by Alan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:Am I nuts, or should I be running Enough Magic?
I'm not sure it would be that helpful to you. Maybe as a one-of tech card? For it to be consistently useful I think you'd probably want to be running Fight Through the Pain or Hip Fire. If you're going to be running those cards you probably want other cards that take advantage of having initiative, like Berserker's Call, Duel, or Coup. If you're running Axe or Legion Commander you probably want to be running Time of Triumph. And then suddenly you have a completely different deck.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Going to try this. Swapping in Luna for Ogre Magi and taking out the At Any Cost and Annihilations. Eclipse still gives me a potential (semi)lane clear. Added Cunning Plans to thin my deck and potentially keep my blue heroes alive since I won't be using them to Annihilate. I'm undecided about the balance of Disciples and Oath, so I'm going to try 2 of each. Overall a more aggressive deck. Tinker seems to fit better than Lich for this strategy and MOTM curves better than Chain Frost. I like the idea of Relentless Pursuit and a bunch of Blink Daggers to enable me to move a black hero into my Kanna lane to drop a Disciple or an Oath. I hate not being able to steal initiative but I think this deck needs to be winning before initiative makes a big difference.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My experience is Gank is best run with PA, BH, Lich, and/or econ. With 5 or 6 HP your Ganks lose a lot of value. I'd swap for Pick Off.

So your game plan is Mana turn 4 d portal, then Conflag/March, then Eclipse? This means you need the Luna left of Kanna, which you can't guarantee, or else there's a good chance you lose a lot of creeps from the D portal before your Eclipse.

I think you are going to want to think about ways to consistently keep Mana turn 4 D portal creeps alive. Strafing? Keenfolk Turret? Ignite? Not sure but I think it's the linchpin of your strategy.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

It occurred to me that Call the Reserves has Oath synergy but maybe that's just too late.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Same list, I'm just looking for small tweaks to get a better curve:
https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJYQTJ ... 1vciBTdG9w

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

It's really annoying that blue has all these threats on mana 6 and every other color has nada.
Edit: eh, red

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:My experience is Gank is best run with PA, BH, Lich, and/or econ. With 5 or 6 HP your Ganks lose a lot of value. I'd swap for Pick Off.

So your game plan is Mana turn 4 d portal, then Conflag/March, then Eclipse? This means you need the Luna left of Kanna, which you can't guarantee, or else there's a good chance you lose a lot of creeps from the D portal before your Eclipse.

I think you are going to want to think about ways to consistently keep Mana turn 4 D portal creeps alive. Strafing? Keenfolk Turret? Ignite? Not sure but I think it's the linchpin of your strategy.
I played a couple games with it, one vs mono blue - lost as much due to multiple misplays as due to my opponent playing an optimized S tier deck. I was able to get a second tower to 4 HP with a March placed in the lane to finish it off, but he was able to get 2 Sanctums in that lane, used a Demagicking Maul, then had multiple Thundergods, Eclipses, Mystic Flares to prevent me from doing anything in that lane. In a previous turn I was too scared of At Any Cost, and instead of playing a 6 dog Prey on the Weak I got flustered with the countdown and played a totally ineffective Eclipse instead. Not sure if he had the At Any Cost, but he had two blue heroes with more than 6 HP in the lane and my Kanna was at 6 HP. I think in that situation, since I was unfavored, the high risk/high reward play (Prey) would have been correct (especially since I had no other impactful plays). Second one was vs B/R (won). In both games it felt better than my old list. I was having trouble keeping heroes alive with my old list, and just didn't have plays that could put me ahead. I could set up lanes with Improvements but wasn't able to make plays since I was too reliant on D Portals and being forced to invest too heavily in one lane. The new list has creeps that can make an impact. Against R/B I was able to counter a Stonehall Elite with an Untested Grunt, and play Censors to get ahead in a lane. If I don't draw D Portal it doesn't mean I autolose. Gank still seems ok with just PA, though I agree that it becomes a lot more limited with Sorla and Tinker as my other Black heroes. It was the game winner in the R/B game - I had taken mid with Oath on Tinker and PA. He deployed two heroes mid to prevent any possibility of 80. He had LC with 11 health in left lane with BH at 5 HP, countering Kanna with a lane evenly matched with my creeps/dogs and his creeps and an Ogre Conscript. I had Sorla and Luna both ready to deploy next round. I was able to Blink PA to right lane, then Ganked LC down to 1 HP, leading to a March upkeep kill, enabling my 6 charge Eclipse to be a full lane clear.
Last edited by Alan on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:Same list, I'm just looking for small tweaks to get a better curve:
https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJYQTJ ... 1vciBTdG9w
Six 1 cost cards is a lot. Have you tried cutting down on the Relentless Pursuits? It seems like you should still have plenty of mobility.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote:Six 1 cost cards is a lot. Have you tried cutting down on the Relentless Pursuits? It seems like you should still have plenty of mobility.
Hm. I need to draw my mobility so I can go face on my opponent's weak lane. I do usually have an extra Relentless at the end of a game, though.

Having Stonehalls and cutting the Grunts feels so much better. I can develop threats in a solo red lane and force my opponent to deploy there; if he doesn't I can move into the wide board and hit tower with my black heroes. I just finished taking a apart a GU deck and a RU deck. Opponents become really demoralized when they lose their blue heroes before initiative starts. :D

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Started a prize phantom draft with this. I have some dece black cards, but I think 2 color is superior. Also, I'm trying to follow this advice and flop red heroes.

I might want to take out the Orb and/or the Cursed Satyr. Not sure... I have nothing but basic items and low cost spells to replace them with.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I think the Orb and one of Satyr are ok, as long as you don’t treat the Satyr as an on-curve play.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Charm3r has a video playing pretty much the same list but with Better Late Than Never which is interesting to play with Oath.