Gaming Laptop videocard died

pew pew pew
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Gaming Laptop videocard died

Post by Dave »

680M dead!

Got my old desktop online and currently using a Radeon 5770. Have absolutely no clue what a decent $125 card would be to get now to upgrade. Preferably not too noisy!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Gaming Laptop videocard died

Post by Jonathan »

ATI is imploding. Get the biggest Nvidia that will fit.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Debating GTX750 but cant tell what is less noise! Still like $120 for like 2 years?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So apparently my 5 year old Radeon 5770 was all dried out and the heat sink pulled away from the GPU which seems like some of the screw threads melted and the fan+casing was loose. So I probably shouldn't be surprised it was idling at 98C... And fans on full blast.

I'm using an old E5-264 chip with old ram so I ordered the GTX750 from EVGA.. $120!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

As expected, I am dumber than I thought. I disassembled the Radeon 5770 and the reason why the fan assembly mounting screw holes melted was because there was a wall of hard dust that had blocked all airflow into the heatsink such that the chip heated the mounting plate which heated the screws which melted the fan assembly off the card. So after clearing that and duct-taping the card back together, now have a 70°C card with the fan running at 50%. Li-Ming is pretty fun to play!

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Can you afford a gtx960 in the $170-$200? It'll be quiet and small. Or, if you must, a gtx950 can be had in the $150 range. 950's like this one are a little more, but will run on the 75W you can get from PCIe directly if you don't have an extra power connector: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10117/asu ... pcie-power

The 950 is based on 2nd generation of our maxwell arch and also picks up some newer features like better/smoother 4k support and full h.265 hardware decoding.

First new cards for this year might be announced at GTC in 2 weeks or so, but probably won't hit the market until near August from what I've read online, so not much of a price drop to be had until closer to that time I'd guess when trying to reduce inventory and/or match the perf/$ of the newer cards. You'll finally see a perf jump due to process improvement as well as architecture improvement which we haven't seen for probably about 5 years now, so this next cycle will be a significant improvement from both AMD and nVidia. At the high end will be a further jump in perf due to high bandwidth memory, but for added cost since it's not very available and not cheap.

Googling shows some potentially leaked perf results for the next gen cards here:
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-specs/
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-3dmar ... s-spotted/
These numbers are likely wrong, but a jump in perf is evident.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Too late! Already got and installed a GTX750 into my 4 year old system. I wasn't really happy with buying 2 year old technology when ( like you say )... something faster and cheaper is about to come out this summer but I'm not so sure how long this old system has still got in it (Xeon 1st gen E5 that is slower for gaming than my old laptop's i7-4700). But the 750 also doesn't need any extra juice and runs fairly quiet under load so I'll probably have to live with it unless it dies or I really need a good system to play something new for more than a few weeks. X-Com 2 runs pretty terrible.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Along a similar line, my old Dell 2408fwp started getting two violet/blue vertical lines for a few minutes on the right side of the screen after a cold powerup and decided to get a cheap 24" LCD.

Unfortunately I think the Dell was a S-PVA panel while this one is a TN and I'm not liking it. Should have gotten a Dell like the U2415 eh? :evil:

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Bought the 27" Dell S2716DG, and so far I like it. Still a TN panel but much better than my placeholder 24". Overwatch plays much nicer!

Edit: Of course, I feel lame going from 16:10 to 16:9, but that looks to be the standard now. :evil: