Alan
Veteran Doodler

Heroes of the Storm

Post by Alan »

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Post by VLSmooth »

Indeed; Chuck needs to install it already!

I've been playing it with another friend from ffxiv, alas I haven't capped xp in a day like he has >_>

We should play sometime!

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I can't get into MOBA type games. Tried LOL, DOTA2, and HOTS. I think I prefer watching tournament games on twitch more sadly! Kind of like Hearthstone.

I have it installed though!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I've found HoTS to be much more accessible than other MOBAs. I tried DOTA2 and LOL and just found it way too intimidating to learn all the item combos and the hundreds of heroes.

And I love that the games are short, like 15-30 minutes. It's hard for me to find a full uninterrupted hour+ to play a DOTA or LOL match.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

The monk is going to be one of the new heroes!

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/198 ... -6-17-2015

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Ok, installed. Man the shop looks like a money grab! lol
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yup it sure is. I have an extra code for Zeratul if either you or Vinny wants him. I ended up getting the starting bundle (with Raynor, Malfurion, and Muradin) for $5 as well as the starter pack on Amazon for $20 (includes Sonya, Zeratul, Jaina, Zagara, and Lili).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote:It's free!
Alan wrote:I ended up getting the starting bundle (with Raynor, Malfurion, and Muradin) for $5 as well as the starter pack on Amazon for $20 (includes Sonya, Zeratul, Jaina, Zagara, and Lili).
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'll install it later. Probably won't work on my computer?

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

I'll be happy to take the Zeratul code but please give Dave first dibs :)

I think Blizzard's done a pretty good job with the heroes so far. I really like Muradin, Uther, Kael'Thas for warrior, support, assassin. I like Jaina, Sylvanas, Sgt. Hammer, and Malfurion too!

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes/

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Nah, I'm just gonna save my gold up and buy the monk and play that guy only!! All heroes only cost 10k gold? I assume that should be semi easy to grind.

Plus I still have a couple hundred Blozzard balance left from the RMAH if some lame skin really destroys my willpower.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:
Alan wrote:It's free!
Alan wrote:I ended up getting the starting bundle (with Raynor, Malfurion, and Muradin) for $5 as well as the starter pack on Amazon for $20 (includes Sonya, Zeratul, Jaina, Zagara, and Lili).
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'll install it later. Probably won't work on my computer?
Haha. Yeah I am not good at the whole not spending real money on free to play games.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dave wrote:Nah, I'm just gonna save my gold up and buy the monk and play that guy only!! All heroes only cost 10k gold? I assume that should be semi easy to grind.

Plus I still have a couple hundred Blozzard balance left from the RMAH if some lame skin really destroys my willpower.
10k is pretty easy to get to, you should be able to get that within a few days.

Some of the older/less desirable heroes cost 2-4k I think.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

VLSmooth wrote:I'll be happy to take the Zeratul code but please give Dave first dibs :)

I think Blizzard's done a pretty good job with the heroes so far. I really like Muradin, Uther, Kael'Thas for warrior, support, assassin. I like Jaina, Sylvanas, Sgt. Hammer, and Malfurion too!

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes/
I'll send you the Zeratul code tonight.

So far I've enjoyed all the heroes I've played, even ones I thought I wouldn't like. I think I'm going to focus on learning Jaina for a while, and get to where I have at least one hero I am actually good at ;)

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I am really bad at Jaina. Wow. I've played like 8 games with her or so, and I think I lost 6 of them. Even when I win with her I don't really feel like I contributed that much. She just feels very awkward to me compared with other heroes, like Muradin or Raynor.

I have 10k now, I might buy Sylvanas. The fewer skillshots involved the better for me, I think.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

As a heads up, feel free to use my mumble server for voice chat during games (details in private discussion).

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Apparently the only hero I own is Valla, so I'll probably level her since its pretty simple to play. Got to level 10 so that stimpack is goinga to force me to level some more free heroes to 5.

Can't really get into playing support in public games, always sucked as a healer. Watched some of the "promoted" HOTS streams on twitch and it seems pretty much like once a team starts winning, the rest of the game is meaningless to play haha. Nevermind, its only the US matchs that suck, those EU guys know how to play! lol

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I've seen (and been part of) a few matches where one team has the level and keep advantage but makes the wrong decision and loses the main objective, then loses. I think the objectives make it so that it's not quite as much of a snowball as LOL or DOTA2, but there still is a snowball effect.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5vF9JLucFo

I like Sylvanas a lot. I've been having the opposite experience with her so far; when I lose with her I feel like I was still effective and when I win with her I feel like I contributed a lot.

I also like playing Muradin every once in a while. I tried Malfurion once, usually I don't like playing supports but he was actually kind of fun to play. Lili is also pretty fun, she can be specced to be fairly offensive while still doing some good healing. Brightwing is supposedly the best healer right now due to the phase shifting but seems just too hard for someone like me to play.

How do you own Valla? Through D3?

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

I raise you Team Liquid vs. Navi!
p.s. The snowball topic is common and beaten somewhat to death on the sub-reddit as is the inability to surrender a HotS game.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yea, I have no knowledge of the MOBA common grips/discussions yet. Just watch twitch on the weekends when I get bored, usually watched the CS:Go matches, but they been having some HOTS tournies to watch.
Alan wrote:How do you own Valla? Through D3?
Yea, I think the expansion unlocked it retro-actively.

And I lied, I suck so much worse at melee assassins than support. At least I can feel like I contribute as Brightwing (and when I realized I could teleport haha) then when I was doing Kerrigan today. All i was doing was giving the enemy XP! I think i finally started to realize I had to basic attack as much as possible.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yeah there are some heroes that are almost completely dependent on auto-attack for their damage. I think Valla is pretty heavy auto-attack, so is Raynor. I haven't tried any melee assassins, mainly because I suspect I would just die a lot.