Heroes of the Storm

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Post by Jonathan »

Heh, I was Zagara today. We were down three levels and 0-2 on curses on Cursed Hollow QM and pulled it out with our only curse of the game and a big push to cap. Obviously we wiped their team in a tf, first.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

In the competitive scene Azmodan can be extremely powerful on certain maps, particularly Tomb of the Spider Queen. Basically he takes Taste for Blood and has a tank with good wave clear (Johanna or Leoric) who gets minion waves down to low health without killing them, then Azmodan uses Globe to kill them all and over the course of the game (esp after getting Black Pool) his Globe does obscene damage. It only works if someone is helping you build taste of blood stacks though, doesn't work too well in solo queue.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

In unranked play I bet you could do it with a Zeratul.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I have gotten the "play 8 games" daily 3 times in a row. Won ~50% of those A.I games! Rejoined around 80% of the way thru usually at a 3-4 level deficit and some random Valla talents. But my alt-buff-account is finally level 40, level 8 Zeratul with a 1:10 takedown to death ratio :P (actually 197 takedowns to 568 deaths in 44 games = 2.88 deaths per takedown)
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I did a QM with a five man party, courtesy of Xef and friends. The wait time was maybe ten seconds, whereas in solo queue I'd been averaging two minutes.

Is the matchmaking for a full party always quick?

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I guess with 5 man parties it just throws out all the matchmaking rules.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

•Raynor
•Muradin
•Falstad
•Sonya
•Sylvanas
•Murky (Available after you reach player level 12)
•Abathur (Available after you reach player level 15)
No healers and nobody who can grant vision.

Good week to be a Zeratul I think.

I may try Abathur at some point.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Wonder if the Monk will come out.... ready to AFK as abathur!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Good list! I was wanting to try Falstad again.

I'm definitely going to try Abathur and Sylvanas.

Butcher is definitely fun but even with practice I die too much against AI. I did win a 3v1 against AI for a tribute, but for every 'good' play I dive into a bad situation and get rocked. I also can't seem to get up my hero damage to where the top assassins on my team are. Unless I'm Zagara!

With Diablo I'm usually top takedowns. It's frankly hard not to get top siege with Azmodan. That's about where I am.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dave, I watched a video where Johanna got top hero damage using this build:

Regen Master
Laws of Hope
Battle Momentum
Blessed Shield
Burning Rage
Blessed Hammer
Indestructible

Basically at 13 you spend the whole game next to enemies and let your DoTs do the talking.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote: Butcher is definitely fun but even with practice I die too much against AI. I did win a 3v1 against AI for a tribute, but for every 'good' play I dive into a bad situation and get rocked. I also can't seem to get up my hero damage to where the top assassins on my team are. Unless I'm Zagara!
I think Butcher is tempting to play like a tank but he really isn't one. And he is really more of an auto-attack hero than a spell damage hero, Ruthless Onslaught notwithstanding. I don't think he is actually a very good initiator bc he has very poor survivability if he's CC'd. In teamfights I think he's best positioned initially behind the tanks, and first doing damage on the other team's frontline until the other team's backline uses most of their cooldowns, then hitting Furnace Blast and then Ruthless Onslaughting into the backline to stun and take down the other team's assassins. Another fun thing to do is Furnace Blast, then Bolt of the Storm right next to Kael'Thas or Jaina :D.

His damage really starts to spike after you get Abbatoir, then Furnace Blast, and again when you get Blood Frenzy. He can solo bosses at that point. It's critical to keep your Fresh Meat stacks with Butcher, if you're not at max stacks (ie dying too much) then he really, really suffers. I think he is very tempting to play very aggressively, but actually needs to be played relatively cautiously bc he is a hero that needs to survive for long periods of time to be effective.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Jonathan wrote:Dave, I watched a video where Johanna got top hero damage using this build:
I usually only ever do one build with Johanna vs ai or QM. KtP, LoH, BM, BS, BR, BH, I, and never really have a problem with contributing to Siege Damage. Do get a few takedowns with Blessed Sheild chasing down squishies tho!

Remember this game we lost with? I only died 12 times! That Leoric had 52 takedowns! LOL

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, I bet that was the one that neither Lili nor I got our healing heroics. GG

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, I don't even know how to build Malfurion for damage. I did like a regular healing build, mostly, with a couple different talents.

Probably should have just gone for max heals.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I just remember that game started off with all three going bottom and me and you in mid, so I went top and got owned by a Tyrande owl trying to heal. Was very sad

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.hotslogs.com/Replays/ShareR ... D=37568871

Heh, the 5 man I did yesterday was on Haunted Mines and the enemy sent all their non-Abathur heroes to top. I was Zagara and paired with Thrall on top, with Xef as Uther and two assassins in bot. They came at us with Rehgar, Nova, Kerrigan, and Azmodan (with Abathur popping in and out) and not only failed to get kills, they didn't even drain the ammo in our towers before mines. Of course we got ahead a level and never stopped snowballing.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, theorycrafting for Battlefield of the Eternals QM, because I struggle with Diablo on that map. Normally, I gather souls w/Firestomp talents and then steamroll, but the early objective and lack of laning in this map makes that build suck.

Devil's Due
Soul Catcher
Battle Momentum
probably Apoc
Siphon the Dead
Domination, possibly IP if needed
Lord of Terror

Strategy for this build is to win the last immortal fight around level 17-20, which is usually decisive on this map. If we win earlier immortals, great, but hopefully with Soul Catcher + Devil's Due I can prevent a complete curbstomp which is all that is really necessary, because immortals with weak shields go down pretty fast in the early game. With Domination+Battle Momentum, I should have a CC train going for picking off enemy heroes in the battlefield. Siphon the Dead is necessary for some kind of sustain, and I just have to mash it on cooldown.

Apoc is pretty good with the twisty terrain on this map, and the bunched up heroes, and it gets better with BM. Lightning is a good choice if we need more damage.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan wrote:Yeah, I don't even know how to build Malfurion for damage. I did like a regular healing build, mostly, with a couple different talents.

Probably should have just gone for max heals.
I think Lili has an easier time speccing for damage than Malfurion. I think if you had a very coordinated team and focused on chain CC's (like Blessed Shield into Apoc into Entangling Roots +/- Twilight Dream, with Pufferfish and March of the Merlocks thrown onto all the stunned enemies) you guys could've won, but otherwise it's tough since your team had very little damage. And I don't think it's possible to coordinate something like that without voice chat.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Looks like Murky was replaced by Brightwing this week since they forgot to have a free support >_<

Only need to slug it up this week I guess.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Aw no Murky this week, too bad.

Wanted to share build guide site I've been using lately and have found a lot more helpful than heroesfire.com:

http://icy-veins.com

It seems like their hero guides are curated, written by top ranked players, and go into deeper detail/explanation about how each hero should be built and played. A lot of the guides on heroesfire basically just say, "pick this talent at this level, the other ones are terrible" but for most heroes there are at least a few situational talents that make more sense in certain situations than the meta build. After reading the icy-veins.com Zagara guide I immediately felt that I played her at a higher level, and after reading the Butcher guide I felt like I had a very good idea about how to play him right out of the gate.