game #2 of Neptune's Pride 2

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

game #2 of Neptune's Pride 2

Post by Jonathan »

Edit: Restarted with 5P circular galaxy, no buffed experimentation. http://triton.ironhelmet.com/game/6049854927142912
password: mohtalim

Check it out. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: new game of Neptune's Pride 2

Post by Jonathan »

Don't be orange unless you want to start in the center. I made the custom universe I talked about here.

Warp gates are cheap by default, so I went with that.

I'm a little worried that Scanning 3 makes an early Range experimentation OP. If people can stand to wait out the boring research cycles we can start Scanning 1.

I did 8/24 for turns. I'm happy to put in something else. I just had to pick one.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: game #2 of Neptune's Pride 2

Post by Jonathan »

I should note the AI mechanics. If you trade a tech to the AI, there is an 75% chance the AI will trade you a tech you don't have back. Sometimes it gives you nothing.

There appears to be no guarantee that the AI will trade you a tech of the same level. It appears to randomly pick one you don't have, as near as I can tell.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I kinda don't like exp6 since it will tend to drive the tech progression and get in the way of a strategy. I feel it'll be more like, I hope the random number generator gods give me weapons next turn!
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Do you want to do a boosted experimentation at all? Is it the level of experimentation you object to, or the fact that it is even boosted?

The other idea I was kicking around was a all normal@1 tech galaxy, with a single star 10/10/3 0 ships $0 start. Kinda hardcore.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Just gonna come out with this: I swizzled the start so we can take the same colors but have different neighbors. I randomly permuted 1 2 3 4 and got 1 3 4 2, as I posted in Schlag 2b.

I was gonna post after we start, but maybe this is ok.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The other thing I could do is permute in secret and let people choose random colors. I have to pick last in that scenario.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I don't care that you leave it really, but I'm just saying what I think the outcome may become. I like second idea. I'm pretty happy with this game and its mechanics so I can see trying out many games going forward. I just need to stop looking at it while I'm at work :-p

I kinda don't like only getting production every 3rd turn, but it could be interesting to have to ration $'s more. I learned last game that Jonathan does not always ration his $.

If I was hoping to be overlooked on a zoomed out map, I'd choose purple.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Oh, I might know 1 more person who'd play this game...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I definitely think more than 4 is better. I'd be leery of starting with more than 8, but 5-8 is ideal. With 5 or 6, we can do circular galaxy again. 7 or 8 might be weird circular. I'd have to experiment.

I can probably get Inquist to play. I was worried about the diplomacy being weird for non-Schlag-2b types. I played a game of actual Diplomacy with a bunch of strangers who already knew each other plus my one friend and I lost pretty horribly.

Yeah, the only reason I haven't started more games of this is I don't want it taking over my life. :D

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Inquist says he'll give it a shot, if nobody objects.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

ok, so I can see 2 stars outside of my starting allocation! I don't know if somehow Jon and I have opposing astrological sign or something. I am going to stop picking green, but of course now I said that green will be the best color in the next game.

I have no objection with external players.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

I do agree with Joe that experimentation seems to make research less strategic(?). In the other game I found everyone rush experimentation and are not willing to trade it, even for weapon. It's a nice idea to have random starting tech advantage, but not sure if I care for the exp after 2-3 days. Maybe making it crazy expensive would be interesting, but disabling it is probably more even.

I wonder if you can start a tech at level x and fix it to not allow research? It might be interesting to fix weapon at level 2 or 4 and see how that plays out.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

There's no option to disable. I can make it crazy expensive, of course.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

By disable I mean setting it to No Research. if you do that it doesn't even show up on the list of tech for that game, not sure if the preset level still impact the game.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Skanks is denying us a chance at satisfaction.

Joe, is your friend interested, or will it be Inquist, Quantus, spacegin, and Dwindlehop?

You always have a minimum of 1 level in experimentation.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Ok, invited Pei (thespineer). We should all team up against him :-p He's yellow, so he'll be our Neal proxy!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Should I play the 4P turn or delete the game and generate a 5P galaxy? Circular looks plenty playable with 5P. Can do far start on a circular 5P so it's 48 ticks between home planets instead of 36 (like Empire of New Dirt) without creating a weird hole in the middle.

Peijen, the controls for "research cost" => cheap to infinite (no research) and "research starting level" => 1-16 are separate. So I could make a Experimentation 10 no research allowed galaxy, but forum posts indicate you still get experimentation hits on things with infinite cost. Which would be imbalancingly sucky.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Ah, ok, I'm gonna delete the game so Inquist can get in.

Should I do the tech settings like I did, or the single star settings, or default, or what? I think the player variation is interesting; I also agree it makes the game less strategic. I'd rank "create a galaxy that people enjoy and want to play to the end" higher than anything else, though.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Turns out $0 isn't an option. Min is $250.