going to be starting up a Mohtalim game of Neptune's Pride 2

pew pew pew
Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Re: going to be starting up a Mohtalim game of Neptune's Pri

Post by Peijen »

for the next game I think it would be interesting to start experimentation at level 2 - 5 and crazy expensive (or whatever the max setting is) to research. Give everyone a different flavor after first production, especially if you keep other tech at a level such that after 1st production the random tech is guaranteed to be leveled, except for Experimentation I guess.

I like the idea of traveling to a world I don't know about just to take a gamble, is there a setting where you can see more of the map beyond the scanner range? like visibility = scanner + 4?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I like that! Random racial variation. Nifty. Might suck pretty hard to get an early experimentation in experimentation, though... Mulligan time? There are options to make things exactly 2x or .5x the cost, btw.

I was thinking if we do play a next game we might want to gen a universe with an AI in the center, to make some neutral no-man's-land.

You can do dark start, which makes the galaxy visible after the game begins, but there's no option for the behavior you describe. Would make a good variant.

In addition to the beta test of the 64 player game, there's also 64 stars/player games which I'm not allowed to create. Weird.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

the weapon at crazy expansive is @ 2.5x (360/144) cost? is that the max setting?

I think if we configure the map to allow play not meet up with each other soon, we might wait for 2 production cycle before restart if someone get experimentation as random. Or if we leave cost at normal, getting experimentation twice might actually be an advantages.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Skanks, play your turn!
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

what's this crap, I can't see shit except for Dwin's stars. no where to go man!

yeah, so looks like I ran out of reachable stars after 2 turns.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Heh. Same.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Peijen wrote:the weapon at crazy expansive is @ 2.5x (360/144) cost? is that the max setting?

I think if we configure the map to allow play not meet up with each other soon, we might wait for 2 production cycle before restart if someone get experimentation as random. Or if we leave cost at normal, getting experimentation twice might actually be an advantages.
Yes, 2.5x is crazy and maxxed.

Yeah that seems doable.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Tick 36.
Quantus 24 Stars 253 Ships in 11 Carriers
Imperator Skanks 21 Stars 221 Ships in 6 Carriers
God Emperor of Dwin 14 Stars 264 Ships in 7 Carriers
Iaco 14 Stars 286 Ships in 5 Carriers
For posterity! First shots fired last turn (3rd turn). Joe is at 24/33 towards winning!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Custom maps
This is an experimental new feature. Please report any errors or issues.

By choosing custom galaxy, you can provide a list of the starting position of each player.

You must provide a coordinate for the home star of every player. Each player home star is defined by a set of two integers in square brackets separated by a comma. These in turn need to be separated by commas and enclosed in square brackets.

Example: 3 player home stars in a row.
[[0, 0], [0, 12], [0, 24]]

Each player home star should be approximately 12 units apart. The distance between each player start will be scaled by the Starting Distance setting.

When using a medium starting distance, 1 unit will be 1 light year in game. When using a close starting distance, 1 unit will be 0.66 light years, and when using a far starting distance, 1 unit will 1.33 light years.

Once each player home star is placed, a number of stars will be automatically placed around it. The number of stars created is defined by the Stars Per Player setting, and how they are placed is defined by the Star Scatter setting.

Please keep in mind that it is very easy to create a galaxy that is unplayable or not fun. If your home stars are too far apart, or there are not enough stars scattered randomly between them, carriers may not be able to reach some stars and players may find themselves cut-off from the rest of the galaxy.

Please test your custom settings before inviting players to your game!

Head on over to the forums and share you designs and round up players for your game.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Are the turn due dates in my time zone?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I think an interesting game would be [[0,0], [0,12], [12,0], [12,12], [6,6]] with the last start inhabited by an AI and starting distances set to Far, goal set to 50% of all stars, and formal alliances turned off, 6-8 stars@10ships, $500. That makes the AI roughly a medium start distance from the players and the players a far start distance. AIs expand to uninhabited stars but don't launch aggressive attacks, as near as I can figure.

Here's a test light galaxy for illustrative purposes:

As far as research costs go, I made a spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Seems like maybe cheap experimentation @ 6, very expensive weapons & manufacturing @ 1, normal everything else @ 1. Experimentation makes 432/cycle. That way, first experimentation gives you level 3 in whatever but weapons and manufacturing, which gets you level 2, or level 7 in experimentation. When you get two experimentation hits in the same thing, you'll get +1 level except for experimentation, which just puts you in spitting distance of 8. That way you have some room to trade tech without sacrificing your edge.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I did some tests with random scatter custom universes where the player starts are very very far apart so there's no overlap between clusters.

I could route to almost all the stars in each cluster with tech 4 according to the ruler. A few stars are going to be tech 5. Sometimes there's a couple tech 6 stars. Once I saw a tech 7.

I also did some tests with our random scatter circular 4 player medium start universe. All player empires are fully connected with tech level 2, though not every star is. I found a handful of stars that were tech 3 and only two stars isolated by more than tech 3 (5, 6).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Winner will be the first to capture 33 of 98 stars.

Quantus 26 Stars 292 Ships in 11 Carriers
Imperator Skanks 21 Stars 240 Ships in 6 Carriers
God Emperor of Dwin 15 Stars 300 Ships in 7 Carriers
Iaco 13 Stars 323 Ships in 5 Carriers
Will Imperator Skanks even be a speedbump on Quantus's domination of the galaxy? Will the other players even meet Quantus in space combat before his domination is complete?

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

cost and resource

$ for infrastructure which include jump gate is
total cost / resource level

So terraforming is useful mid to late game when you run out of resourceful stars.

I think it would be interesting to play a parse galaxy with single star. Sort of new space civilization theme game.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I'm still looking around the map for someone other than señior skanks... Where are you guys?

Interesting that we've only claimed 75 of the 98 planets in the world. Where are the other 23?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

???

See literally every post Peijen & made over the weekend. We're locked in a box of 28 inhabited stars.

The remainder are outside our scanning ranges. My experiments indicate most of the missing stars will be routable with Range 2 and Scanning 3. Probably 6 or 8 of them will need Range 3 and Scanning 4. There will be only one or two farther out than that.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Yeah, I read all that, but when will you guys figure out where your box is relative to the rest of the galaxy... Also, sounds like you two need to be researching your asses off for scanners and hyperspace range if you have any hope of winning one day...

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Alright master tacticians... play your turns already.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I will tell you where I am... for the sum of ONE MILLION DOLLARS. :drevil:

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

quantus wrote:Skanks, play your turn!