Android games

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Android games

Post by Jonathan »

http://pixeldungeon.watabou.ru/
Free.
It's a respawning monsters/limited food style rogue-like. A friend recommended it. The monsters are very designed as opposed to random; you'll know exactly the challenges awaiting you (at least through 15, which is as deep as I have penetrated).

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Re: Android games

Post by Alan »

I like free.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Got to 16 and got fucked up by a warlock immediately. Not really sure what counter magic is available: nuke harder?

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

my best is
lvl 13 gladiator
str 16
hp 80
max depth 15
mobs killed 129
gold 5801
food 14
potions created 1
ankh 1

equip
blazing glaive+3:15 (tier-5, 26dmg, dot fire)
mail armor+4:9, 18dmg absorption
ring of haste+4

stupid robot boss would have gone down if I had one more heal potion or maybe chosen the berserk tree? I think I wasted one pot too many trying to kill piranhas. You'd figure w/ my gear I'd be fine but those things scale w/ your level or something.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

sooo some (pro) tips:
1. only eat food after you hit starving state to maximize gains
2. try to find dew pot first then collect dew to maximize hp gain (you can drink a non-full dew pot as a poor's man hp pot)
3. unless you are super unlucky, heal pots are more plentiful than other types so guesstimate drinking the higher stack of pot first (although one time I did accumulate 3 poison immune pots which are essential if you want to melee the lvl 15 boss)
4. piranhas are NOT worth killing no matter what they guard (unless you can nuke the room w/ poison and leave for a while)
5. tombstones always spawn nil-impossible to melee hit ghosts, so unless you have some magic you are screwed (they always spawn on adjacent tiles so you can spawn less by positioning yourself near walls/barriers before opening). Most of the time you get gold but sometimes you get lucky w/ an item.
6. After you beat the 2nd boss (I think) you get a skill tomb that will carry over from game to game. I've only done warrior tomb which gives you gladiator (each successive hit forms a combo which gives you a dmg buff) or berserker (do more dmg when low health).
7. To make a potion in the cauldron you need to throw three seeds into it. Untested yet but I think this allows you to identify unknown potions since seed effects
are always known (I threw in 2 frost seeds, 1 blind seed got a frost potion).
8. Shops: only buy one ankh since upon using it, you lose everything in your inventory
9. Shops: It's useful to buy the extra storage tabs for scrolls, seeds, etc since you will run out of room eventually

Bosses:
1: lvl 5, goo - melee hits, then charges up for a bigger massive ranged atk. If you are fast enough you can run around a corner while he's charging.
2: lvl 10, ??? - throws projectiles, eventually teleports around the perimeter of the room (also does this after being hit). You can cut across the middle of the room to get to him but he randomly activates traps in the middle.
3. lvl 15, robosomething - melee atk, every time he moves he causes a cave in dealing dmg to a random adjacent square. Poison Aura. You need poison immune if you want to melee.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, I should mention I killed the 4th boss with my level 19 sniper Huntress. I died on level 23, though. Interestingly, for that, my best run, I had a run-of-the-mill war hammer +2 as my weapon, no enchantment. I used the [SPOILER] from the 4th boss to make a [SPOILER] with 30 points of damage absorption. :D The only ring of haste I found was cursed, so I had only sunk two upgrades into it for a grand total of +1. The [SPOILER] rewarded me with a ring of accuracy +4, so boo to that. I had some OK wands, I think, and a few javelins which were very handy for certain mobs. The ninja stars are pretty worthless, even for a sniper.

My other tomes are Rogue and Mage. Warlock satiety gain is very very low. You can easily starve to death still. Assassin surprise doesn't kick in on sleeping mobs, only ones that are paralyzed or have a door opened in their face. I can't figure out how to have a good run with those. I haven't tried with Warden, honestly. Anyway, low level Huntress is a pain because of the low HP but the benefits as you delve deeper are quite high. I found Mage to be much easier to get the tome on than Rogue, FWIW.

Basically every character class needs both melee and ranged options. You must melee the caster mobs, or you will suffer. I actually melee'd the roboboss with my Huntress because the roboboss heals on ranged attack. I didn't have poison immunity, I just quaffed like five healing potions. Ranged is super helpful for the [SPOILERS] and second boss, even if it is just to soften them up. I usually have some poison or liquid flame to fling at the 2nd boss, too.

I think the Ankh is a trap. Buy more healing potions and food, then use the potions and eat the food. There really are not any attacks in this game that will kill you from above half health. Anyway, my sniper died immediately after the Ankh resurrected me because I wasn't wielding my boomerang. Huntress without ranged weapons is a dead Huntress.

I usually skip the seed storage. A glyph of entanglement or a Earthroot seed is very helpful for killing the first boss, but seed value seems to go down over time. I dunno, maybe I'm not doing them right.

Throw items at a doorway to open the door from a distance, this means you can use ranged attacks from way the hell back. This is key to defeating the piranha and statue.

Don't read random scrolls in shops. You might read a scroll of terror and scare away your shopkeeper. :D

When you get a randomness well as a Rogue, it can be fun to throw your ring into it! Or, you know, completely ruin the run. Whatever.

2nd Boss is called Tengu.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, and the mob that murdered me on level 23 is a fucking nightmare. I haven't played since because my usual method of meleeing the warlocks & shamans doesn't force the fucking nightmare to do melee attacks. I could run away? Still thinking.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Honestly, the way I am currently thinking about this game, a Blink wand is practically required equipment.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

I've been trying to get the mage book but I've never really gotten any good wands nor any weapons armor I can use. How many upgrade scrolls do you put into the starter wand if any at all. I think my best run was when I accidentally used my starter wand to buff a wand of slow. This actually worked out well since I could slow, punch them a few times then move a step away before they could act (kiting ftw!). Downfall was when I ran out of charges....

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Upgrade your armor first. You have to have pretty good armor to defeat the Goo. It also heals on move, like the roboboss, and you'll very rarely have the gear to nuke it from range at low level.

For the mage runs to get the tome, I definitely asked the lost wizard for battle wand and used that against Tengu. I never upgrade magic missile at all.

Basically, play your "mage" like you play the gladiator at low levels. You don't have as ready access to healing, though, so soften up your bad guys with magic missiles (or lightning/disintegrate) as they approach.

Huntress is the class that is more a of true glass cannon, due to the reduced HP and always-available ranged attack. "Mage" is really just a generic Hero in this system.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Vyrosama wrote:I think I wasted one pot too many trying to kill piranhas. You'd figure w/ my gear I'd be fine but those things scale w/ your level or something.
I don't quite understand the math, but the number that your armor reports as absorption is maximum absorption. Absorption seems to be randomly determined with each hit, with a min of zero. The mean increases with better armor and better upgrades, so points absorbed is a useful point of comparison between items (though armor base value increases the value of upgrades, so the scale/plate can quickly overcome a +2/+3 mail with just a couple upgrades invested). But you are pretty far from immune to low level dudes no matter what you wear. It's really only your buffer saving you.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Lionheart Tactics
I won't find out if this is a god game or not because it has fucking pay to play mechanics. Whoever dreamed up the "click ui element. result occurs twenty minutes later" mode of monetization should be shot.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

heh, didn't a bunch of you (including myself) get sucked into travian where attacks could take almost days depending on how far you send troops (also part of the mechanic to save your forces when you slept at night?).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I started Travian but left before we got into pvp.

There's at least some pretext for a multiplayer game to keep players progressing at a consistent rate. It's not a great solution (neither is the energy units of Urban Dead, for example) but it's a game design solution to a real problem.

For a single player turn-based game, it's nothing but cockblock, pure and simple.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

woot killed the robo boss and still alive and kicking for the moment. Berserker perk is the way to go! dmg output goes through the roof when you hit less that 30% hp. Rocking a war hammer + 4, scale armor +6. Have you ever seen the miner npc? I mined a bunch of dark gold ore but I have no idea what/if it's used for (sells for crap to storekeeper). Also his reward is questionable, have you ever used it? I'm tempted to merge a lightning wand +1, with a lightning wand+2, but no idea what will happen.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

It won't let you merge. They have to have the exact same number of upgrades. I think it is for when you really need a decent leather armor for your rogue or something, but I don't actually know. I have not used it successfully. It requires a lot of food.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Moar spoilers!

Beat the 4th boss! He was by far the easiest of the bosses so far. Just needed to throw a poison gas potion and watch him whittle away as I shot lightning up his ass, with an occasional whack for anything coming near me.

I also picked up a vampiric glaive+1 (less dmg but 10% life leech...yummy) to replace my war hammer+4. The armor skill for berserker is heroic jump. It's basically a teleport that...cost 50% of your current hp.... I didn't realize this till I almost killed myself....wasted another pot. Not sure if it does damage but the steep cost makes its only useful for escape maybe?

I thought with the life leech I'd be golden, especially since I have up to 40 dmg absorption now too, but OMFG, the disarming dwarven monks were a pain. Then I realize what you mean... succubus, ok they are worse than the monks. Oddly enough, you can still used wands, seeds, ranged atks. Luckily I have a nice set of 25 tomahawks to throw at them. Unfortunately my accuracy is shit and it literally takes like 4-5 throws to even hit once ;_;. Or maybe you are talking about another mob?

Moar random tips:
You can trigger traps by throwing random crap on it (I use my dew jar). Unfortunately, make sure you know what trap it is... since fire will burn scrolls up, and then there was a time when it summoned 8 monsters...(posion gas potion ftw... seriously).
I bought a torch, used it and regretted it =/. It consumes it and casts light on you... not even sure if that's at all useful.
I am glad I bought all three containers, enough junk that I still run out of room =/. Seeds aren't that useful now, but maybe I'll convert them the next time I find an alchemy cauldron?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Vision is life when you are ranged.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Huntress cloak does an aoe damage effect. The damage is low, though.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Alas my lvl 25 Berserker died to the lvl 25 boss (Burning fist)
Final Stats:
Str 19
Hp 140
Game Dur 9047 (secs?)
Max Depth 25
Mobs Killed 294
Gold 10571
Food 30
Pots 4 (I probably should have shoved most of my seeds to try for a hp pot... ah well, I wonder how effective frost seeds are)
Ankhs 0

Vampiric glave+2 (23 dmg, life leech 0-10hp unclear how this is calculated, nice but not enough)
Warrrior suit of armor: upto 40 dmg asorption, (oddly enough unupgradeable)