x-com

pew pew pew
Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

x-com

Post by Vyrosama »

I like what they did to it. It has all the flair of the original game minus all the micromanagement cruft. Engineers/Scientists have been simplified to another type of currency that you get as mission rewards/building the correct building/etc. So far there only needs to be one base to manage and everything has been streamlined/hooked into a fast-forward to next event button (UFO missions, research done, building done, etc).

Action points/Movement points have been simplified to two actions per turn and troops have been streamlined into more traditional "classes". I really like the cinematic views that happen while you are sprinting, reaction fire, etc (reminds me of fallout 3 vats) and the environments are pretty to look at. The only minor complaint is that during most missions, aliens don't roam the map and "wait" to be discovered. This does speed up missions a whole lot (no long do I need to systematically fanout and cover the entire map searching for that one last damn alien) but it just removes the randomness/surprise factor.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: x-com

Post by Jonathan »

I have rectified that last issue by refusing to play the same mission twice.

They released XCOM for Linux of all things in summer of '14. I was bored over New Year's and picked it up. Oh god, when will the obsession end. I literally have not thought this much about a game since DoomRL.

I did the tutorial on classic difficulty, restarted on iron man classic, then decided the free satellite on the tutorial made me feel a lot better at this game than I actually am. So I restarted again on regular classic. If I take a mission I can't handle, I load up and choose a new one and suck it up. It is my compromise for not being hardcore enough!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Had to give that up, as my rules were too confusing. I'm just playing iron man classic, which is simpler.

After many alternate Earths were lost to the alien threat, I finally figured out the correct start last night.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

are you playing enemy unknown or enemy within? I don't recall getting a second satellite in classic with enemy within.

I am not good enough to play ironman ... but than again I am too aggressive and let my rookies explore and die, than I run out of money to hire more rookies

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

After losing my twentieth game on iron man classic, I restarted on Ironman normal. There is still much swearing but Earth seems to be in ok shape so far.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Man, 2 A months and then I bust out the [redacted], chase down the overseer, and then wipe two separate squads against him! F month and lost two countries. Not auspicious.

Running really light on weapon fragments because I stupidly sold a pile of laser weapons.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

are you playing with second wave options? Training Roulette is pretty cool, but haven't gotten an over powering soldier yet.

Marathon and classic is kicking my butt

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

No, I've never beaten it.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

I think if you "lose" it's consider as completed a game. Might be faster than play all the way through if you care that much.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, I lost lots! :D

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yay, beat it finally, on my first Ironman Normal game. I lost several countries and lots of soldiers (29) compared to the world average (9), but I was very fast. 79 days to alien base cleared (vs. 140 for the world), 113 days until first Firestorm, 147 days until the soldier of consequence was found. That's definitely because of playing on Classic a bunch and needing to figure out how to start the game. I was still faster than average to get the device (190 vs 259), but that was only slightly faster than average because I wiped two teams trying to get it. I only had one qualified soldier for the final mission because I lost so many veteran soldiers. That guy charged down a hallway with a Sectopod on Overwatch at the end and it got off 5 different reaction shots, while he had one health. They all missed. What a mensch.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

are those stats only available for Ironman? Don't recall comparisons like that. I should play ironman, but I am too much of a loser to do that

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Internet posts scores for the non-ironman games.
http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?171 ... ing-system
You probably clicked too fast? Looks like this:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9zls8i&s=6#.VXYq21xVhBc
I forgot to write down how long it took me to beat the game... probably around 220 days. I had to build a hover SHIV and then there was a supply barge mission and then I needed to let some key soldiers heal.

Ha, I checked my Steam account to see if it said anything further.

http://www.steamid.co.uk/profile/76561197975853938

This is now my most-played Steam game. Apparently I liked Prime World Defenders better than I reported, because it is my second-most played game. :D

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Ok, finally got bored enough to play this game.

Easy Mode with Sid Meier just because.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Your enthusiasm is positively underwhelming!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I want to see the engineer get it on with the scientist. Age difference be damned!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Big UFO appeared, my shitty fighters couldnt shoot it down and it made the wussy Brazilians leave me.

But Sid Meier's PSI storm is totally OP.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Buff Sid Meier saved the world!

No desire to play ironman as I am wuss.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

I just beat impossible yesterday and classic ironman is kicking my ass