Borderlands 2

pew pew pew
quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Borderlands 2

Post by quantus »

Got to play this today during lunch on a GTX690. Game play is pretty good along the lines of MW or virtually any other FPS. The graphics are pretty good, but it's not really meant to be super realistic or lifelike. The object physics is quite good. Story seemed ok, but didn't really experience much of it. The purchasing/selling of equipment is kinda annoying and gets in the way of the FPSing. Movements seem pretty realistic within the game world's physics. Dunno if I'll buy the game, maybe when it come down to ~$10-$20.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by Dave »

Yea, I liked BL, but didn't see a big incentive to pay $60 for it now. Lots of cool new guns I'm sure tho. I think Vinny and Chuck are playing at least.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I'm liking it. It's more of the same, but if it wasn't broken, why fix it? Aside from new content (creatures, gun parts, and skills), the only changes are minor things like optional quest objectives, a different way of upgrading capacity, and a completely useless "bank". Oh, and spike shields, which are an awesome way of taking out rakks. I do wish they had fixed the gun stats display to actually show all of the stats. And some of the menu navigation is clunky. Side quest density is lower than the first, so far.
The purchasing/selling of equipment is kinda annoying and gets in the way of the FPSing.
It's not intended as a pure FPS. It's an FPS/light RPG hybrid. Finding loot is part of the experience.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

George wrote:Finding loot is part of the experience.
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/09/21

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Great one-day sale
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/86926/g ... ary-domain

I recommend buying Borderlands 2 for $21 and the season pass for $10.50 if interested (that's 65% off.)

Green Man Gaming provides steam keys (win!), although it only allows buying one game per account (fail!) which makes gifting a pain.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

How long before the $15 for BL2+all dlc ??
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I caved and bought it from amazon this morning...

Can I cheat and ice myself the best weapons?

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Duplicating items is easy and can be done in game with zero mods (go go production dueling implementation), but items also have minimum level requirements.

You should beat the game and the first 3 DLC while hitting lv53 to join Chuck and I in DLC4, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, tonight : )

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I am .. level 2. But won't have much time to play next week, so it'll be a while before I beat anything.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

I'm tempted to start a new character since I just bought Psycho pack for $4.99 on amazon (link)

Also, wow you're right; this Amazon deal of the week is great (link).

$22 for Borderlans 1 GOTY + Borderlands 2 + Borderlands 2 Season Pass (all DLC expansions) is crazy (link). The DLC is pretty good, but the latest DLC, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, is amazing.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yep, seemed like a decent deal. I like using pistols and sniper rifles. Guess I shouldn't have picked gunserker? I wonder how I can play BL2 offline!

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

The gunzerker's left tree has a few pistol skills and the final skill is actually quite useful combo-ed with sniper rifles (when killing an enemy, any dmg over the enemy's remaining hp is stored as a +dmg bonus for a short period or till your next kill). So if you overkill someone with 100k dmg, your next few shots will do +100k dmg each :twisted:

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Level 17! Gone down the middle tree to gunzerk more. Plus I like the extra ammoes. I'm using an ammo regen mod so it's kind of redundant, but I just hate running out of ammo that much.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Finally got a sniper rifle that shoots fast enough to replace my love of pistols. I guess I will need to stick to this gun manufacturer forever?

Hit my first challenge in the Fink's Slaughterhouse, died on level 4 before redoing my weapon types to actually deal with the guys with huge shields (slag pistol + explosive rifle zerk). Leveled up to 21 failing a few times before finishing the missions, and back onto story mission!

Fun game, don't even feel that bad even though its $7 cheaper this week!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Ok, I beat the normal game thru once. Cheesed my way with rocket launcher second wind against the dragon. Now I'm 36 and back in Sanc, guess I should try the DLCs before level cap!

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Congrats! \o/ DLC's were:
  1. Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty - Decent; beware of cursed pirates and their vampiric attack
  2. Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - Pretty fun but short
  3. Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - Decent; beware of witch doctors; vampire/chupacabra types suck even more (see a trend?)
  4. Tiny Tina's Assault of Dragon Keep - Awesome; the best DLC by far
I doubt you'll hit the level 61 cap by just completing the DLC; no worries though.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So my plan of doing just story missions and DLC stuff in the 2nd run thru till 50 should be fine since I'd need to sart ultimate-uber mode at 50 to get to 61? Doubt there is any loot worth waiting to 50/60 to do. Current weapon combo of slag-smg + sniper gunzerk for crits making my aim terrible.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Think I'm getting annoyed with BL2 now. In the TVH mode and got to a level 42 story mission at level 40 and decided to do the first DLC (scarlett) and finished it leveling up to 43, and it just wasn't that fun. Maybe its playing solo as Salvator, but I'm forced into one playstyle (charge in, zerk, can't see shit, blast stuff with slag+whatever) and hope I don't die. Running away and sniping is a bit more enjoyable, but the content/interest/gameplay just isn't there. I guess I could try another tree (I'm in the middle one), but walking forward into a zone knowing 6 mobs are going to run out of the doors and force me into zerk, or run away is super fun for the 50th encounter in a row. I'll try the dragon keep next time the main story missions out level me.

But now I have Counterstrike GO from the steam sale! (i lied, the game sucks and I had to listen to 12 years olds)

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Granted, parents are visiting again, but I can try to join your games if you'd like.

I can see your level so I can get an appropriately leveled character with no problem!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Beat the TVH mode (level 50). Found the Torque Baddassitude DLC a lot more enjoyable than the pirate one, but had pretty much zero chance at killing the last Pete boss guy, so I gave myself some gooder weapons and beat the game=ish. Now I'm doing the Tiny Tina DLC with pistols! Seems like the best dlc so far. That new seraph shield is badass!