Tales of Maj'Eyal

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Tales of Maj'Eyal

Post by Jonathan »

Necromancer time. Specifically, a Lich Necromancer!

http://te4.org/characters/18572/tome/bd ... 00c8813894

Really digging this. Not using any of the pet skills, just doing direct damage. Died a lot trying to unlock Lichform. The orc blood mage death is some kind of bug, because I only died to him once, for the Lichform.
Check out the sweet boots!

Really torn on prodigies. I can probably qualify for the Corrupted Shell if I try, though I skipped Melinda so maybe my blight damage total is low. Gives me saves and defense, which is no bad thing, plus a lot of HP! But I'm not really sure that's needed. Maybe I need Armor of Darkness to compensate for my lack of armor. And Magic Weapon would be fun, but I haven't found the generic points to pump staff damage so I'm not too sure how ultimately useful it will be. Hmph.

I need a Shielding rune. Or two.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Died once more on my way to 34. An archmage out-of-depth rare dispersed my Blurred Mortality, but I forgot and ate a hit I thought I could tank. So dumb.

Otherwise, Reanimator is working very well. I just cleared Vor Armory. I took Armor of Shadows to help with the war boss, as I couldn't keep him away from me. That much armor hardiness shuts him right up. I really dig the tankiness that my boots, Vampiric Gift, and Blurred Mortality provide.

Archmage is not the class for me because of the start dungeon and glass cannon nature. Playing lich is a big improvement over that.

I still don't qualify for the Corrupted Shell, which is annoying. I really want that. Hopefully I am close.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Qualified for Corrupted Shell between turning 42 and 43. Had to milk some blight damage, but do worth it. Waltzed through the necromancer/blight pride. Armor of Shadows made the warrior pride refusal. In the process of fucking up the nature/dragon pride. Then I will take Vor.

The lack of infusions walloped me trying to keep the mages from absorbing staff power. Whee.

I should note I fucked up Aluin, Massok, Ssazzxxhh'Tzik, Telos, and any number of orc patrols.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

48, didn't die in the prides once. Trying to decide what to wear in High Peak. So many choices! Wouldn't have to think except I haven't looted the Crown of Eternal Night. Bah.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Headed to High Peak. I will clear out all the vaults and hope somebody is sitting on the Crown of Eternal Night, because I really want the artifact set bonus with Bindings of Eternal Night.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I should note my winner strategies:

1. Cursed - Rampage increases damage, tankiness, and mobility. It slices, it dices, it's the all-seeing all-knowing all-dancing talent! Basic tactic is to get in there, fuck some dudes up, slip away to top off health, rinse, repeat.
2. Doomed - Deflection and Anti-magic Shield eat an enormous amount of damage. Several talents work well around corners or eliminate line-of-sight. Basically, you take the big hit occasionally, but you've got a strong chin so mostly you are okay. Requires careful positioning since it's kind of a mid-range class.
3. Arcane Blade - Aegis is a hell of a talent tree. It really seems unfair. I had something like four different kinds of shields I could bring to bear, all of which were buffed to hell and back. I also had a bunch of Dual Wielding talents so I could put out hella blows/round, each of which triggered some Arcane Combat. I took the Never Stop Running prodigy as well which gave me instant-trucking around the battlefield. I basically never ate a hit after he got going, just blinked into a room, made a dude explode in a ball of arcane power with my daggers, took some hits on my shields, and then found a new victim.
4. Necromancer - Not a winner (yet). So ridiculous, though. Here's my strategy with the Necromancer: see bad guy. Make that bad guy eat some darkness damage at range. When he tries to hurt me, make him eat more darkness damage. Revel in the Vampiric Gift which heals me as I deal out death. Spit out more darkness damage. Blurred Mortality+Lichform+Corrupted Shell means I have more HP buffer than even my melee characters. My health yoyos up and down, but Necromancer don't give a shit. Mobility? Bah. Necromancer sits in one place until everyone is dead (though I have Phase Door/Teleport if shit goes sour). Shields? Bah. I have two that I almost never pop. My defense and armor are ridiculous thanks to Corrupted Shell+Armor of Darkness+Defensive Posture. Glass cannon? Bah. Necromancer is a brick shithouse. I literally ignore the orc elite berserkers until I beat down all the casters because the berserkers are ineffective little wimps against Necro.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Another winner. Yuck, that was a bad final fight. I died twice before I killed either sorcerer. The simple thing to do when have been to kill Elandar first, but I tried going after Argoniel. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I also triggered my silence twice without Elandar in it. Didn't keep the staff out of the charging ceremony, so I had to kill myself to win the game. Honestly I am not sure how to do that staff quest successfully as an undead.

Had really good saves for the final fight. Got hit with a little blindness and iceblock once, but I really had trouble getting my effects to stick. I should have evened out my saves and spellpower a bit more.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Never did loot a decent hat.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I decided only Corruptor can give me that sweet combo of tankiness + being a caster + heal on hit that I so enjoyed from Necromancer. I started one up and went straight for Bone Shield and Overkill and got badly destroyed by the Weirdling Beast. I abandoned that concept as unworthy.

http://te4.org/characters/18572/tome/ed ... 7784571f15

Started a new one that just defeated the Weirdling Beast, plus a nasty vault full of troll thunderers and maulotaurs. She is distributing her points so that she isn't cooldown-constrained when it comes to pumping out damage, and picked up Leech and Bloodcasting so she wouldn't be vim-constrained. She took down the Weirdling Beast with no problem.

http://te4.org/characters/18572/tome/a3 ... 360971871b

I killed a worm that walks in Lake Nur with just Curse of Death, Burning Hex, and maybe one Darkfire, so those points definitely paid for themselves. I will unlock Torment with my next category point. I am definitely leaning towards using the last one to increase my mastery of Shadowflame, mostly because I want level 7.5 in Flame of Urh'Rok. Who doesn't like a good global speed boost?

I have a ridiculous amount of lightning resist gear and Premonition, so I am tempted to just waltz into Urkis and give him what for. We shall see.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, and I will pump Plague and Blight, but I must clear Dreadfell before Plague really is worth the points and I need Blood Fury before Blight becomes OP.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://techgage.com/news/need-achieveme ... 5-of-them/

On sale on Steam this week! Also, the most achievements of any game on Steam, apparently.

My Corruptor died a bunch. Got to make a better build!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.dorkadia.com/2013/04/09/tale ... al-review/

"However, Tales of Maj’Eyal (TOME) seems to be a roguelike that refuses to have the shortcomings that are taken for granted in the genre."

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The orc campaign dropped in the spring! I finally picked it up. The story picks up years after the end of the original campaign. Your orc character gets to take revenge for the actions of your non-orc character from the previous campaign. It would be cool if you could murder your previous character, but I have no idea how that would be balanced or even work.

The new mechanic for this campaign is steamtech. It's a non-arcane power source (so Antimagic doesn't work against it) with lots of AoE, status, and movement effects. The steam resource is a very small capped pool which limits your burst potential, but the resource gain over time is huge. I'm playing a sawbutcher with giant sawblades whizzing on my arms that do bleed damage by default. It's a good class for my playstyle.

You also get to tinker with your equipment and add custom effects. It's OK for being able to make custom builds, but you have to find the schematics first which adds a layer of RNG which personally I could do without. It'd be better if you could research the specific schematics you want. Right now I have a gap in my spell saves and I don't have any more wiggle room to address it.

http://te4.org/characters/18572/tome/62 ... cfe4dd7f20

This is my second orc sawbutcher. He just hit level 38. I will most likely take the Pain Enhancement System prodigy at 50. I am going to try to get the Life Support System armor built with my remaining generics (I need to loot one more schematic). I died so many times to an ancient multi-hued wyrm that I really should have run away from. I also died to Aeryn when I let my steam run out, dropped my damage mitigation sustains, and she Massive Blowed me to death. I have a mix of antimagic and regular gear. Just now I'm trying this speed enhancement equipment build where I get more turns the more I get hit. We'll see.

I need to drop the stupid dwarf armor I'm lugging around. It's huge and useless.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://te4.org/characters/18572/tome/62 ... cfe4dd7f20

Welp, I beat Embers of Rage. Sawbutcher is pretty easy, but the campaign is fairly forgiving, too. No randbosses in the final dungeon and lots of line-of-sight breaking corridors made the descent to the final fight pretty straightforward.
Well done! You have won the Tales of Maj'Eyal: Embers of Rage!

You have thwarted the Steam Giants' genocidal plans, and avenged those killed in the attack on Kruk Pride. Their desperate pact with the High Priest did nothing to stop you; the priest and his god lay dead at your feet, and you have ensured they will stay dead for the foreseeable future.

The humans, elves, and halflings will not be able to hurt your people again. By destroying the farportal and denying King Tolak's army its glorious battle, you have ensured the safety of your people from the Allied Kingdoms, and by storming the Gates of Morning you have eliminated the last bearers of the West's hateful aggression in Var'Eyal.

For now, peace reigns. You know that this will not last forever. You may have repelled its vanguard, but the Kar'Haïb Dominion bides its time waiting for a weakness it can exploit; the smugglers' portals from Maj'Eyal remain undiscovered, and while neither you nor King Tolak has any remaining desire to take the other's continent, the fear of invasion will linger in the backs of your minds.

Regardless... You just killed a god and gave your people the first chance to relax in thousands of years. It's been a pretty good day.
There was one quest I couldn't figure out how to finish. I thought for sure it was going to be tied to the final fight, but it was apparently unconnected.