The Official Diablo 3 Thread

pew pew pew
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: The Official Diablo 3 Thread

Post by Dave »

DH Tank Build went like this: Get enough HP, Resistance, and a shield to be able to take 3-4 hits, then stack 1k+ Life on Hit. The key skills were Caltrop-Jagged, Gas Grenades, Turret-damage reduction, Chakram-Shurken, and Disciple regen on-hit or crit. No Smoke-screen, but Gloom. Then face tank in one place until stuff died. What 1.04 did was remove the proc coefficent on almost all the skills mentioned above, effectively ending the cheap way to beat inferno.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

It official. I am now a Chinese gold farmer. After almost a week of boring grinding and farming in the new 1.04 patch for absolute trash (the carrot was not found) I am cashing out again and sold ~75m gold @ ~$1.8/m and stripped my monk of the new shinies that will be worth nothing in a few weeks Im guessing.

Now I can pay for a few more months of WoW.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dark Souls!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

July Logs:

7/5/2012

Ended up buying D3 with Blizzard Balance. They were auditing their WoW Annual pass eligibilities, and kicked me off. Didn't see a point not to use some of my remaining balance to buy it, since I could only buy Blizz games with it anyways. Don't think I can play 2 games at once so WoW will need to improve a lot to make me want to grind that again... and the next expansion pack (Pandas!) is not looking that promising.

AH Log: Very little is selling. Market is flooded with items, buyers of high level gear all mostly have their gear or can get it cheaper, and RMAH is pretty dead for mediocre gear it seems. Even gear that I think is 'good' is selling for much less that a few weeks ago. The weapons I sold for $150+ can be had for $30 now. I've only sold an off ring or two recently for $5 ring, don't think I have anything listed worth any marbles.

Monk Log: Can comfortably farm Act 2 in mostly dps gear, just bumped my resists to 500 and a bit of regen a bit so I could kite if needed. Do a pretty basic - hit a few champ packs near waypoints, check for goblins near waypoints, then head to the Vault of the Assassin for a bunch of fairly easy packs - skeletons, naga and a few annoying ones - whirlies and fire spots. It's quite a bit less tedious a place than Halls of Agony, as the packs are located in easy to guess locations on the map. Havent found anything remarkable of course. Can't upgrade anything for any slot right now, it seems that the price of anything with resist-all just skyrocketed, so the current goal is to get some cooler looking shoulders and a lightning weapon again!

Barb Log: Got to 25! Normal mode, so a whole bunch of skills are viable, especially when geared thru the AH.

Wiz Log: Apparently gold find runs blowing thru lower difficulties has been nerfed to the ground. ~100k for the last half of Act 3 => 40k or so. Seems like NM and Hell were nerfed pretty hard. It made sense since the monsters are so much easier, but makes my wiz pretty useless right now. Switched back to actual gear, subbing in some leftover monk stuff and did a few quests in Act 1. Never actually made it to the butcher, so kiting practice is needed! Going to try and actually progress with the Wiz through inferno now that her farming viability is nil.

7/9/2012

AH Log: Sold two more things for a few bucks, a Wizard source and my Monk's old Shoulders. Spent most of the time trying to find a weapon upgrade with crit damage or a socket. Lost a 20m snipe on a nice weapon that I could have used on Monk and Wiz (dex, int, ias, socket) but picked up a decent sword with just crit damage, ias... but alas, it has fire damage not lightning. At least it looks better than Holy.

Monk Log: Picked up a sidegrade ilvl 63 shoulders to get a newer look, and picked up a crit damage sword because I 'went crit'. By that I mean, bought a budget pair of ias/crit gloves, crit bracers, and Helm of Command, then added SW: Cyclone to my build. With 30% crit and 122% crit damage, stuff in Act 2 dies pretty fast and I get a boost to aoe and life regen thru the mini tornadoes. Next thing to upgrade should be rings/ammy, but those are way too expensive.

Wiz Log: Got carried thru Act 1 Inferno in a group with some friends. Hydra/Blizzard kiting is... not that fun. The hit boxes just seem a bit random, but I'll give it another shot someday.

7/11/2012

AH Log: Only have a few M gold now, and not trying to do much other than buy a few upgrades for farming purposes - MF, life regen, pickup, etc. Not much luck selling anything. Commodities opened up and I guess crafters can make a bit of cash selling gems.. but not sure how long that market can sustain since gems are never destroyed. I guess crafting rares is still profitable for people with the 6 property patterns.

Monk Log: Liking the crit/cyclone build enough to stick to it for the forseeable future. It makes farming more fun, and can blow up act 2 packs in one round of cooldowns. That's the main problem with grouping is that which the packs don't do any more damage, their hp scales which the player dps might not, and kiting/running is required. Of course stupid shielding/invul mobs are always dumb. Gave Act 3 farming a shot... the mob types are just annoying - spear chuckers, green goo crap, etc. Just made dying more common and I haven't figured out a good champion pack route comparable to vota. I did finally get the Inferno staff of warding crafted for another 1.7m, and cleared that with some trouble with ponies... the place is not worth it. I guess it used to when MF worked on the clouds and pinata, but not anymore. I guess a random Act 1 run with 5 stacks and butcher or whatever may be amusing, but not as rewarding as Act 2. Plan now is to just grab some more farming gear with dps stats and magic find. So far almost 100 mf and 29k dps. I guess this is what it's come down to! Farmning endlessly for mediocre gear.

7/16/2012

AH Log: Sold two more mediocre weapons for $15 and $20, drops I found in Act 2. Still can't move anything consistently on the gold AH. All that jewelery I saved up is only selling for 25k or so, almost not bothering to list. Running out of stuff to bother to sell. Trying to 'cash out' my monk again, but realized the only item I had worth selling was his sword.. and it's value dropped immensely already. Update: Started at $75/150 didnt sell, dropped to to $60/120 didnt sell, and finally sold at $45/90 with someone buying it out (90).

Monk Log: After last log, I decided to pickup decent MF gear - spending max 1m/item and bumped up to ~160mf before NV, and was able to start getting rares on 1st pack kills. But it was really boring. The bug where elemental damage was bypassing avoidance was pretty annoying sometimes, and I finally hit that ' screw this - time to cash out again' moment when I spent 13m gold on a lightning damage sword only to equip it and see the +800 life on hit over-rode the lightning damage and the sword glowed red. So now I'm rocking a fist with crappy stats while trying to sell my shit and of course the first champion pack that I kill drops a set chest (tal's... maybe 250k). Random is random.

Barbarian Log: Leveled with Sacri and Jason for a few quests, up to 32 now. Got into Nightmare and starting to see my relative killing power decrease - can't one-shot enemies anymore and have died quite a few times when I wasn't paying attention to details like fire. Have a 600 dps 2h lined up for level 46.Borrowed my 300 life on hit gem to put into my leveling weapons, just need to remember to remove them when I upgrade.

7/18/2012

Kind of in that 'not having much fun' but 'still log on to D3' era where I dont see as many people online as I used to and don't have much willpower to either level my barbairan or farm for items. Auction house isn't time consuming anymore since I have no gold to spend and no items to bother to really upgrade, so just do a Act 2 farming run when I get really bored as I think I leveled barbairan past the ppl I was sort of grouping with.

Monk Log: Downgrading from my crit damage weapon to a same dps but no-crit-damage lowered my dps around 8k, but didn't really change my farming rate oddly. I guess survivability went up a little becuase the fist has 1% stun and 2% life leech which I guess does enough.

Barbarian Log: Got to level 40, still in Act 2 NM. The 300 life on hit gem is a crutch taht is keeping my below-par gear from dying too much. My hp pool fluctuates pretty wildly but the gameplay so far isn't too fun. Attacks are slow, aoe is limited, and specials aren't that special or have an insane cooldown.

7/20/2012

AH Log: Sold all the weapons I had of any value, so now on the market to browse for any good deals. The weapon I spent 15m on sold for $90, 13m on sold for $25, so not doing that great gold to cash-wise, but the market also isn't what it used to be.

Monk Log: Still using the same bargain fist (950 dps, stun, ias, leech) that I haven't really decided to upgrade yet. Still farming the Act 2 in decent MF gear. Still need a shield, gloves, and bracer.. problem is finding them with crit and dex. 

Barbarian Log: Got to level 46 and equipped the -14 lvl req 600 dps 2h I had found a while back. Unlocked the +1 fury per enemy hit whirlwind rune so seeing the potential of all these whirlwind barbs I kept hearing about. Seems like it would be uber gear dependant since the loh and lifeleech required would have to be pretty high in Inferno to not die.

7/24/2012

AH Log: Trying to buy a weapon upgrade for my monk with crit damage was annoying like it is everytime, but I guess that is why I was able to sell weapons for a tidy profit. And like usual, I 'settled' for a weapon without lightning damage, and now feel stupid again. Got one 980 dps with 10% ias and a socket for 8m. At least I sold the random set helm I had drop for me the other day for $2. Woo!

Monk Log: Same ole farming run. Got a less dps 20% MF shield that is making my runs harder, but its all in the name of farming items! Once the new legendaries are out I'm sure it will be a race to RNG to bank! New weapon pushes my farming dps to 26k which is able to handle easily all but 2-3 packs a run when I die and decide to put on some higher resist gear and then swap back after only 1 is left.

Barbarian Log: Borrowed a 900dps 2h sword from Chuck for the rest of Act 3 NM thru Act 1 Hell then decided to go back to Sword & Board since the packs were blowing me up faster than I was killing them. The Life leech I was depending on in lower difficulties got nerfed for Hell as expected, but really messed up my sustainability. Got a 900 loh mace with -lvl req for 15k and shielding up with a legendary str rolled lidless wall for 15k. Just hit Act 3 and dual weilding -lvl req weapons... only 4 more levels to go!

Wizard Log: Read about a bug where if you cast Archon right after teleporting with fracture, you end up with an invincible wizard. Blew through Act 3 and 4 and beat the game on Inferno. Got a few random drops that may sell, but nothing spectacular. Bought some cheapo Int + crit gear to boost my dps to 35 and face tank everything. Made it halfway thru Act 2 before they brought servers down and fixed it. Oh well, went back to my crappy all-resist gear and standing back at 24k dps and back on the shelf. But I did just hear about a Barb bug with charge... maybe I'll try that out! >_>

7/26/2012

AH Log: Been hovering around 10m gold and trying to spend it on something, finally got a mediocre MF ring for 600k that got me to 300% MF with 5NV. Got a decent weapon to drop shortly after - 900 dps 11% ias 900 loh that I'm trying to sell for $ now. Other than that, losing bids on better MF rings and looking to mostly improve my MF set.

Monk Log: As mentioned above, got to 300% mf with 5nv and seeing slightly more drops; still die to harder packs because I'm too impatient to kite and my resists are terrible. Found an interesting post about how sweeping winds damage is calculated at the time of cast, so doing it after popping CDs is apparently better. Also confirmed a 'feature' where using exploding palm to kill an entire blue pack at once yields more drops since they are all considered 'the last mob'. Does require more micro and better gear to withstand all 4 beatdowns, but might be worth it.

7/29/2012

AH Log: The above mentioned 900 loh has a bid for $75 atm, so I should max my Blizz balance soon with that. Also a few random $5 crap things - mediocre swords mostly. Finally sold my old monk gloves and helm for $3 wach. Should put me over $1k earned in D3 total. Gonna get the Starcraft 2 + expasion if it goes on sale soon, maybe try WoW expansion, but don't see it right now. Supposedly I will be able to pay for subscription fees with balance soon..  so I can't say it won't happen! >_> Gold AH-wise I'm still not pricing shit right. Apparently pretty-good items don't even sell at 5k/25k, while pants with no resist but 150int/100vit/18%MF sell for 10m gold, which was 5m below the next comparable pants, which means I probably undercut too much! So I guess I should just stop trying to sell anything except high-end crap.

Monk Log: Stuck in limbo atm, MF is as high as feasibly/economically possible, as searching the AH for all those modifiers to upgrade with only 3 filters is not enjoyable. Got the last 2 ring slots with 11% MF so mostly just plan to try and upgrade one attribute at a time - probably up my crit damage without gimping LoH too much. Found a few things that sold for $ - like a 1k dps axe with a socket I considered giving to my Barbarian, but figured I'd try and sell it first. Probably didn't price it as well as I could have since it sold immediately at $30.

Barbarian Log: Hit 60 and decided to go straight Whirlwind ! Well I guess not straight since I'm using a shield, but figured out it's pretty effective as long as I can get started. Need a bunch of fury to do the Battle shout and sprint before starting the whirl, but it is pretty fun to endlessly spin in circle around packs without dying. Keeping track of the buff uptimes is the annoying part. Limited my 60 spending spree to ~200k a slot, but went over for weapons and amulet .. since I need a big chuck of LoH to make it work. Attack speed wasn't too critical for this build but crit is. Picked up a few weapon upgrades that kinda suck, but ended up settling on Mighty Weapons due to the weapon mastery bonus. Currently weild a 900 dps M.Weapon with a socket. Hopefully the 600 loh amulet I picked up for cheap is enough, did grab a 900 loh 700 dps weapon for the bad packs. Played with Vinny's friend Sacri's monk thru to Act 3 Inferno. Wasn't too bad outside of a few shielded/vortex packs where we died like 6 times. Don't see any problem clearing to Diablo as boss fights are pretty trivial since you have only half the shit to avoid and Monk's mantras + Barb's warcry is a nice combo for not dying. Realized the previously uber/epic/expensive Stormshields are now quite affordable, and decided to try and pick one up for cheap soon. At least they will look different than the stupid sacred sheilds!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

August Logs:

8/3/2012

AH Log: Sitting at 25m and $225 in balance and nothing on AH worth buying. Sold some set boots for $5 and cleared out most of the backlog in stash, vendoring quite a bit of stuff. Still looking for a lightning weapon I suppose.

Monk Log: Zzzz

Barbarian Log: I lied, I hit a major wall trying to solo Act 3. Stuff just does a crapton of damage and I can't sustain whirlwind, or even a tanking frenzy build the one time I tried. Put the barb on hold since absolutely no one is playing anymore and the barb was my 'grouping' character. Bought a stormshield for 2m and it didn't really help at all >_<

8/9/2012

AH Log: Capped out Blizzard Balance and needed to try and flip something after a Stormshield sold that put me over $250. Slowly buying 200k-1m upgrades for Barb. Monk gear hasn't changed at all even though I keep looking. Just doesn't feel right to pay 3-5m for a small MF upgrade.

Monk Log: Still in Act 2. Been getting ok Legendary drops, which bodes well for the 1.04 patch I guess, so might be able to make a few bucks if I get lucky with one of the first listed legendaries on the AH, otherwise really really boring.

Barbarian Log: Busted through Act 3 and 4 essentially solo since Vinny's friend was pretty much dead weight and made me solo the last boss the whole time trying to find a window to attempt to rez him lol >_<. Ghom was the hardest encounter and solved by ne skill called Overpower - Cota which reflects damage back but also procs LoH which heals me to full. Cool thing being crits reduce the cooldown by 1s.. which is a terrible design on Blizzard's part tot even have stuff like that, but abuse it while it lasts. Basically one I upped my HP and resists up, all I had to do was give up the dps weapon and put on the 900 loh weapon and slowly wear bosses down. Of course in Act 4 I just whirled my way through entire maps to Diablo beating him with 1 stack of NV. It seems like I need minimum 1k LoH @ 900 res to survive, and just need to upgrade my dps to actually kill stuff fast, problem is with 0 MF it just seems completely unrewarding to farm... anywhere. I did Act 3 runs killing packs and then a boss... tried a Pony level run... can't kill enough packs fast enough to justify doing that over the Monk Act 2 run which gets almost one stash tab of rare vendor crap. Oh well, its a change of pace at least. Justifying upgrades however is difficult give then terrible return.

8/13/2012

AH Log: Flipped a Natalya's Mark to convert balance to paypal at a minor loss after fees. I debated buying SC2 for $40 instead, but figure it will be on sale for $30 or $20 sometime before the expansion. Been giving up bothering to sell anything on gold AH unless its GF/MF or at least 4 good or 3 high rolls. Sold 2 weapons at lower than hoped for prices as the weapon market should collapse momentarily. I think after 1.04 the market will just be uber rares or new legendaries as fasr as RMAH goes.

Monk Log: Act 2 farming netted a Shenlong fist and Stormshield in the same day! But alas, those are terrible, and haven't sold on RMAH yet if ever. Upgraded my bracers 1.5% crit & 3% MF at the expense of some dex and 1.5m gold. Also upgraded by amulet 2% mf, 100 dex, .5% crit, and 50 loh for... 5m. Yep. That's what it costs to upgrade my MF gear slightly.
Wiz Log: Saving up for a crit build! Purchased nothing so far!
Barb Log: Waiting to see 1.04 nerf bat before buying anything else for WW
NEW! Demon Hunter: Started a new demon hunter, mostly because if I couldn't flip the Natalya's Mark for some odd reason, I read the 4pc bonus was fairly game-changing as far as fun-factor-button-mashing goes. But it sold but I did purchase a budget Nat 4pc set (no ring) off gold AH for 2m-ish just to play with at 60 assuming 1.04 will hit before i get there and the new Nat Set bonuses aren't as good. Leveled to 14 and sitting in Act 2 normal. 4th time around it's all about run speed and getting to the next mission as fast as possible. On Wiz = Teleport, Barb = Sprint, DH = Vault+passive. Poor monk couldn't run fast at all! Already not sure I will enjoy high-level ranged play-style as I never really liked it on Wiz in Inferno, but boredom is boredom.

8/16/2012

AH Log: Plan on keeping the Nat Mark I sniped to play with on the DH, worst case it is worth nothing after the patch if they nerf the 4 pc bonus, best case it will be worth 2-3x more after the patch if they make a new set bonus that isn't as good. Also sold the Stormshield I found for $7.50 and won another similar one for $2, but have a feeling I may have trouble flipping it. Overall not much going on AH-wise, gold ah is standard, selling the odd item here. Almost dont bother undercutting, just putting it out there with a low bid and buyout 10x - typically 25k/250k bo. Haven't sold a rare on the RMAH in a while. No one wants to by my shitty offhand low-dps high-stat weapons anymore. Fail bid on a belt that I had wanted to bid 500k on but actually bid 5m on and won for 3m. So I'm forcing myself to use it. It has pickup radius but lower dex.. fail.

Monk Log: Monk Preview seemed to indicate buffing damage for spirit spender across the board. I may put seven sided strike a shot as it supposedly has INCREDIBLE damage now. Might replace earth ally, but we'll see. Dont see any other skills changing as nothing specifically seems to have been nerfed, and all the passives will remain the same.
Wiz Log: Wizard preview came out, looks like they are halving the WW proc for the Crit Mass build, making me not really want to try anymore, but buffing some other random crap. No real desire to invest in Wiz so far as the playstyle isn't appealing to me.. unless I get a cool weapon ! >_>
Barb Log: Barb preview also came out, looks like they are leaving WW alone and buffing all the fury spenders and bash/cleave so I may give a non-crit build a chance if the gear is cheap or cool enough. Though I guess I could always leave the crappy crit gear I have on and whirl around when I get really bored. 
Demon Hunter: Just vaulted my way through to Inferno in ~14 hours gametime. Pretty much twinked with -lvl req for Hell. Had to grind the last level to unlock the next difficulty twice since I guess I skipped too many mobs. Overall the class seems pretty fun to play. I like having two resource pools to use / manage / balance. Vault into mobs, drop a trap, vault back, spam attacks, then kite back. Seems pretty enjoyable, 4pc Nat seems to work well enough that I can switch the rune from backup to heal. So far stole some gear from the Monk/Barb, and bought a mediocre 900 dps xbow with 600 loh * socket for 25k. I guess over 1.2k is when things get expensive. Not sure if I can just steal my Monk's MF gear to farm, but may try. I can already tell Act 3 elite packs are more annoying to deal with so may end up with another Act 2 farmer.. that vaults around! Higher speed = higher efficiency I suppose. The DH preview didn't seem to change up too much. Some skills will get boosts and the ones most ppl use will stay the same. May be my last/only weekend to play with the 4pc so should try and clear Inferno this weekend! ;-D

8/20/2012

AH Log: Converted most of my Blizzard balance to paypal thru flipping Natalyas's Mark. Basically as soon as I read the data-mined patch notes that the set bonus was being converted from 2 disciple sec to 20 max disciple, I bought out a few cheaper rings and relisted. A few hours later they doubled in lowest price and I made a mediocre profit. At least I have < $100 balance now! I guess it was a slight over-reaction in the market because this morning it was back down to $75, tho I'm sure tommorow (the day before patch day) the price will drive up again. The new set has better stats all around (almost 2x dex on average) but the bonus is nearly game breaking for some builds, and maybe fore pvp. So I may try and speculate on one more ring but not if the price is wrong. Also sold a crappy rare weapon again for $4. Gold AH is completely dead atm, even leveling gear. I guess people saving up gold with the though people will price new items at reasonable prices (they won't).

Monk Log: Don't plan on changing anything with 1.04. Spent 8m on a slightly more MF ring to farm with. Probably not the best idea, but felt I needed to get something. Same ole Act 2 run.
Wiz & Barb Log: Zzzz
Demon Hunter: Clearing Inferno didn't quite happen. 4pc Nats breezed through Act 1 and slowed thru Act 2. Then hit a brick wall in Act 3. Trying to go MF with Nats wasn't quite doable with my fail button mashing. Decided to try out a DH tank spec I had been reading about, and was able to down Ghom after skipping a few packs that could one-shot me before I could even 'set-up' the tanking - DH needs to drop a few traps, get a sentry up, drop a few grenades, etc. So being able to kill Ghom means clearing inferno should be doable, but 1.04 should buff most of DH-tank skills, so something to do when I get tired of farming. So now the DH is my Act 1 MF farmer. Sold Nat's set and picked up some glass-cannon MF+dex gear and a 300th spear with MF, and currently vaulting around the same old spots spamming lightning balls. My hopes for an Act 3 farmer may end up being the WW Barb most likely.

8/21/2012

AH Log: Absolutely nothing sold before hte patch since I'm sure everyone is saving their resources for 'the next big thing'. Official notes were released with additional info that changes quite a few things for several classes that the data mining didn't catch/report.

Monk Log: Going to be my main character again, Paragon Levels means I will focus on getting xp for just the monk and slowly replacing MF gear with actual good gear. Mystic ally not being able to proc I'm not sure if it will affect me too much, but will probably try 7-sided strike aoe or cd reduction again for kicks while farming/leveling.
Wiz Log: Looks like lots of changes, but not interested enough to really care as Monk will be my Paragon character.
Barb Log: Looks like Overpower got the major nerf bat - can't proc life on hit anymore. Same with a Hammer build I was un-aware of that also allowed face tanking. But WW is still alive, no nerf to proc coefficents or anything. I just don't want to spin forever. Just hold down Fists of Thunder untill it dies.
Demon Hunter: Looks like the DH tank build just got deemed unworthy and all the abilities that made it work - trap/grenades/etc no longer proc affects, or reduced like surkien cloud. So no DH tank possibility for me in the future! A bunch of other random skills got buffed that make them more attractive to test out - tethered sentry for one, but nothing spectacular.

8/22/2012

AH Log: Actually sold some stuff for over 10m gold, some pants and a chest with good rolls (not super great) but stat/vit/resist/sockets. Flipped the Stormshield for a loss... to be expected after 1.04 I guess.

Monk Log: Got to level 5 Paragon. Found one crappy 1.04 legendary - Ivory Tower. Probably sell for a few k in the end. Tried crafting ~25 5 property fists, and made nothing over 800 dps. So just plain grinding exp now and waiting for the prices to drop on the cool stuff - Shenlong's fists, firewalkers, etc.

DH Tank Build went like this: Get enough HP, Resistance, and a shield to be able to take 3-4 hits, then stack 1k+ Life on Hit. The key skills were Caltrop-Jagged, Gas Grenades, Turret-damage reduction, Chakram-Shurken, and Disciple regen on-hit or crit. No Smoke-screen, but Gloom. Then face tank in one place until stuff died. What 1.04 did was remove the proc coefficent on almost all the skills mentioned above, effectively ending the cheap way to beat inferno.

8/22/2012

AH Log: Nothing selling for me again, mostly since I haven't had anything good drop. Made a list of the new items I'd like and narrowed it down to picking up one item with +12 move speed and a new weapon. I ended up picking up the Hallowed crafted fist/shield as it was a dps improvment.. sadly no dex or crit on the weapon, but the shield rolled nice with dex/crit, but no MF. So I may be doing a 1 item MF swap if I'm not too lazy. Or pickup a inferior MF set shield.

Monk Log: Up to Level 7 now. Switched the red exp gem for a MF gem again to hopefully get something good to drop. Finally look a little bit different now, though I'd have preferred a Lit damage set fist, but the shield is pretty unique. I'm finally approaching 2 aps with the set bonus. Just need a cheap pair of Lacunis with ias/move and rolled with dex, crit, or MF to finish it off!

8/23/2012

AH Log: Zzz

Monk Log: Level 9! Nothing upgraded, but decided to give Act 3 a go in MF gear and did pretty well. Still die to the hard packs or doing something stupid, but overall surprised at the performance. Cy/Az runs seem like the best bet then going back to random areas to hunt for packs. At least it's a change from Act 2, though finding VOTA is always going to be annoying.

8/27/2012

AH Log: In my cashing out cycle again. Frustrated in the new farming mechanic where Legendaries are the only items worth finding, and how they just dont drop, so deciding to cash out once again. Sold the Fist/Shield set for gold, and some older 1.03 items for probably around $100 total, so not much of a RMAH windfall from the patch. I'm sure in a few weeks/months stuff will be much much cheaper. At least more common so I can buy a really shitty rolled set peices to play with.

Monk Log: Level 13 with diddly to show for. Did some grouping with some people from a SC2 forum I was frequenting for information, and it was kind of not worth it. Act 3 runs just didnt seem rewarding enough. So downgraded my monk back to Act 2 status after selling some gear and putting back on my old rare sword that didn't sell. Not even bothering to get 5 stacks for VOTA now, just clearing and resetting.
DH Log: Level 3... just doing Warrior's Rest runs over and over again. Still loaded up with MF and a spec built for this mini-dungeon. Vault-Cinders is a pretty cool mechanic, but 3 levels and one crappy 2 crappy legendary to show.

8/27/2012

AH Log: My Hallowed Fist sold for 20m, but my Shield didn't but I may keep it for when I can drop a MF item... hmm. Other than that, small stuff sold and I'm back to 5m. Can't buy that Won Khim Lau I want though!

Monk Log: Level 14 after a group with Ming and my Bro. Same ole Act 2. Did get another shitty Legendary to drop - ANOTHER Ivory Tower. Yay... lets see. So far I've gotten 2x IvoryT, Hellcat Waistguard on the Monk.
DH Log: Level 4! But only get low level crappy Leg to drop like usual - Tormentor, Pus Spitter, Cindercoat, Knives-Pauldrons.... But did upgrade to a Cold Damage Bow! Not much different for Warrior's Rest however.

8/30/2012

Monk Log: Level 16 after giving Act 3 another spin with a new sword I found and the Hallowed Shield that doesn't want to sell. Absolute trash still - a leg 55 dagger was all I had to show. Time to go back to Act 2!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

September Logs:

9/3/2012

AH Log: Sold more gold, resold the Shenlong Set for $100 and a few crappy legendaries for a few bucks. Looking at my legendary drop list, and found I've had 16 drop for me since 1.04 with only 2 ilvl 63s >_<

Monk Log: Level 21 and... flopping back into Act 3! Found a decent / least frustrating run that hits a two bosses in small-maps and ends when I decide I don't want to kill any more crap. Decided to keep the Hallowed shield for good, and bought a Helm of Command with a socket to use to make me more 'tanky' then went to work! Sold a rare bracer for 3m this morning and bought a 1.03 Justice Lantern for 2.75m to play with. It has 11% block which will bump me from 33 > 44%. Also tested the Shenlong Fist set over the weekend which was pretty cool to shoot Hadoken's that hit for 20k and could crit, but the actual fists ... were red gloves, and looked terrible. But I did really like having 900 loh and 60 lpss on the set, which is now what I will look for in a rare 'tanky' fist.
DH Log: They are nerfing the awesome Trail of Cinders after realizing it was too good. No soup for my 30 sec Warrior's Rest farming.

RL Log: Met with Ming this weekend we talked about Diablo 3! Made me think, I've been playing D3 since Mid-may and looking back at my 'logs' have been amusing at how stupid I was/am/will be.

9/7/2012

AH Log: Sold another 1.03 Nat peice for a few bucks. Tested out two cool follower weapons - Azurewrath (15% freeze with fast attack) and Maximus - Summons a demon with a fire chain. Liked both, but flipped the Azure on the gold AH and Maximus on the RMAH (5m gold for $10). Trying to sell 33m gold this weekend. Last weekend it hit $2, but may have been labor day weekend residue. Currently $1.75 so no clue how long people will keep spending $ on D3.

Monk Log: Level.. 25! Currently with 299% base MF, +20 from follower, and after 5 stacks of NV = 394 MF... which means Fortune Shrine give me +1 MF.. woo! Finally had a lucky streak last evening. Got 3 legendaries to drop that didn't suck terribly - Firewalkers (2m), Stormshield (will never sell), and a Dex-rolled Vile Ward ($50) shoulders. They were actually an upgrade minus the fact there was no MF on them... AND had a pretty cool graphic compared, but looking cool vs $50 isn't much of an argument. The follower weapons I played with were pretty decent - Azurewrath could lock down one enemy pretty well after stacking some extra +ias, even an elite sometime. The Maxiums summon was a decent distraction, but died pretty fast. May pick up these again if they fix the follower MF not being restricted by the 300 cap.

9/10/2012

AH Log: Looks like the gold market is on a downward spiral. Was as low as $1.3 before the monday bounce back to $1.4. But now I'm planning to cash out again.. if anyone will bother to buy my non-legendary items. (Probably not)

Monk Log: Level.. 28! Haven't found anything worth-while in which is making me bored. Capped out MF without getting any upgrades/sidegrades, so getting kind of burnt out again.

9/23/2012

AH Log: No one wants to buy my shield / sword so had to resort to selling Legendaries. Since gold is crashing, decided to use the Vile Ward market to flip some gold to cash, with the worst case being I end up using the item. Bought a Tyrael's Might to use then saw how terrible it looked, so decided to sell it for $16 - spent 13m on it. Flipped a few Nat's Marks to transfer Balance to Paypal as I decided SC2 wasn't my bag of tea after playing the start edition. Watching replays is more my speed as my APM would be like 20.

Monk Log: Slowly leveling - 34 with just over 40k dps. Not in a big rush to do anything with the upcoming nerf to defensive skills in 1.05. Farming and getting shitty legendaries - Frostburn, Ivory, Angel, Won, etc. After gold dropped to $.80/m I figured I'd just spend my gold on my monk instead. Bought a Blackthorne's Pants, Vile Shoulders, and a Devil Tongue to look cooler and get a little more dex in the process.

9/31/2012

AH Log: WIth 1.05 on the PTR, not much moving on either AH. Haven't really been farming much anyways. Gold dipped down to ~.6/m but then went up a little over the weekend like usual. So now I have 20m gold I can't increase because nothing sells and can't find anyhing worth buying before the patch. So I started a WD because farming wasn't worth it pre-1.05.

Monk Log: 36 and waiting for 1.05. Not much to plan for, will likely go back to a shield to make up the lost armor.
Witch Doctor Log: Got really bored and decided that instead of having some low leveling gear stashed up taking up space, I'd just use it one last time and sell them. Got to vele 26 into Act 3 and using 3peice Cain's Set and a Red Gem in helm to boost XP 50%! Not really liking the pet gameplay, as it's hard to tell when a monster is planning to target me or whatnot, but I guess it won't get hard until Hell like usual.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

it's sad that I read your logs since I want to live vicariously through your gameplay of d3. I wish I could buy/sell items cuz they didn't look cool.

AH Log: cashed out my measly 3mil for $4.5 after tax and I think I"m up to $25 now. I figure it'll be a nice way to hedge inflation and when I care to play again in another few months or so I can buy 3mil for $1 or something. Also realized I'm a complete neat-freak and was impressed how organized my stashes were and totally forgot how to play the game.

DH Log: Decided to checkout this OP vault + cinders thing before it went away. It really was pretty amazing and with all the latest changes I was able to get past the front steps at the beginning of act3 inferno. With some help of dave/me kiting to the beginning of the map per pack, I was able to slowly inch past the first 3 chapters of act3. I realized that not having optimized MF gear/DPS gear made the whole experience very tedious/slow. So I swapped back to my MF gear (I think it was 143% or something) but reduced my dps down to 20k, lost a bunch of resistances but boosted my hp to 45k, don't really need to worry about resists as much in Act1 and I always have SS to bail me out. Dave mentioned a drop in prices in weapons on AH so I figure I'd take a quick look and was able to buy a 1.1k dps bow w/ 700loh for 30k (I'm pretty sure my old crappier bow costed me a few mil...). Went through the usual dave patented Act1 run and was surprised I didn't die (despite being pulled in by butcher like 3-4 times....god I love SS). Found a few rares but no idea how good they are so I threw it into my stash to be probably npc sold later. I did level to paragon 1 (yay?) and averaged about 3k gold per minute but then realized I have no desire to farm and went to playing skyrim (and farm there.... :( )

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yep that is all d3 is now, farming for xp and legendaries and hope they don't suck! But rares are super cheap now, and only get expensive when you have > 3 desired stats really. I found a shitty spear this morning!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

D3 is $10 at ToysR'Us if you got one near you... Sold out online already.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Are you still playing?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Not as much as I used to but it's the only game I'm playing atm. Finished leveling my last class to 60 (witch doctor). Same as ever.... Auction House Tycoon 3.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

October Logs:

10/1/2012

AH Log: Reduced my balance to $100 with another Nat Mark flip since they don't seem to want to let me buy WoW Expansion for shits/giggles. My bro is planning to play it a bit so I may join him eventually. Sold a few things and up to 35m after ghetto upgrading my WD for inferno. Still waiting for 1.05 to drop since nothing noteworthy has sold or dropped.

Monk Log: Plvl 37 doing a quick farming run for vendor trash every once in a while. Have a decent set-up for 1.05 I hope, might try and pick up a massive LoH Neck peice for Hellfire Ring farming, maybe some more tanky equipment as well.
Witch Doctor Log: Grinded about 20% Plvl 1 before beating Hell to unlock Inferno. I am sad that leveling gear sells for more and much faster than anything my monk finds. Basically used Cain's 3 peice, Movement speed Neck, and a 800 dps -15 lvl req weapon and mojo to blast through hell with 17k dps. After hitting 60, stole some gear from my Wizard and bought a few from the AH and currently sitting at 30k dps, 600 resist all, and almost 30k hp. Which would have cost a fortune a few months ago, but most peices were < 25k because only 'uber' gear sells at level 60 these days. Not sure how much more I'll play the WD, may just end up clearing Inferno with WD & DH after 1.05.

10/15/2012

AH Log: Reduced my balance to $65 with another Nat Mark flip since they don't seem to want to let me buy WoW Expansion for shits/giggles. (yay copy paste from last log). Just been tracking the Skull Grasp market for Monks when I leave the AH on, flipped some for a few bucks here and there. Only things that I find that sells now are gold find + radius gear >_>

Monk Log: Plvl 40 after getting a few minor upgrades. Keep selling usable Skull Grasps, so I ended up using a gold find ring with good stats. It has a decent damage (33-55ish) roll so ends up being pretty undervalued since most don't stack ias like me. Upgraded my sword to the same sword with higher damage. Also pickedup a Radiant Star gem finally, and trying to find a good Madstone for 1.05.
Witch Doctor Log: Completely stopped playing WD after hitting Inferno and trying a public game. Just don't feel like playing the AH to find upgrades anymore.

10/19/2012

RMAH Log: +$8 - sold a few crappy things for a few bucks.
GAH Log: 27m balance - Selling the occasional rare.

Monk Log: Well, 1.05 has been a decent patch. Farm some keys and killed some of the 'uber' bosses to craft 2 of the +35% Exp Hellfire Rings. The first was ok, but no dps stats, the 2nd was terrible with int. But now I have one for me and my follower, so I dont know how many more times I want to keep playing at MP5 instead of just farming some easy difficulty with more dps gear that i am waiting to be affordable. Overall I though the new additions and Monster Power to be a pretty good result, even promoting some grouping with random people. But in the end, the 'fun' part of making some pocket change from D3 may have been killed with the ease and frequency of drops in the overall market, so I don't know how I'll cope with continuing selling things $2-3 at a time. Oh well. Up to Plvl 42 sporting my Ruby XP gem and Hellfire Rings.

10/22/2012

RMAH Log: +$30 - sold a few crappy things for a few bucks.
GAH Log: 28m balance - Selling the occasional rare.

Monk Log: Done focus farming for Hellfire Rings. On the 4th craft, I got one with 4 useful stats, and not going to bother trying. Just going to help my brother craft his when he plays. Farming XP and Items on a low MP is super fast and easy now, so its back to random farming it seems. Lots more drops for much less gold/$, which makes the $1 fee a higher % of the sale than before which makes things even less worth it!

10/30/2012

RMAH Log: +$250 - Sold Shelong's Fists for $170 & 70, and some small stuff and some gold for a few bucks.
GAH Log: 58m balance - Sold a ring for 50m, and a bunch of crap for spare change.

Monk Log: Plvl 52! It's about as easy as D2 was to farm easily and quickly. Flipped a nice pair of Fists from $21+$24 to $170+$70. After fees, its about a $165 profit! Haven't found anything much of note. Did upgrade to a few set peices - Inna's Helm, Tal Rasha's Chestand got a few gloves to switch between. Kept wanting to give Inna's Set a try, but it looked terrible in light blue balls, and had low HP. Stopped grouping with people so much since I didn't need to farm Hellfire stuff so it's mostly solo. On that note, no one is playing anymore so I kind of log on for a few, kill some stuff and then see the Steam pop-ups of Vinny/Chuck playing Bordelands 2 hehe.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

what does MP5 stand for? and why am I still reading this thread???!?

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I think its still installed on my laptop, though I removed it from my desktop. I can't imagine ever wanting to play again. I can tolerate and even enjoy grinding when there are at least occasional rewards. But I never found a single piece of half-decent gear through random drops in D3. Maybe if I had played single player first, without using the auction house, it might have been a better experience.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I guess it's been a while since you played, so a quick summary of what added since last you guys played. 1.04 reworked all the legendaries to make then pretty good/great. 1.05 doubled their drop rate... effectively making around 1 drop an hour if you get really bored like me. Still no PvP but they added a difficulty scale MONSTER POWER (MP) that lets you adjust the difficulty from 0-10 which essentially makes it completely inefficient to set it above 0 or 1 if you just want to farm for xp/items and kill stuff since the bonus magic find doesn't scale up at the same rate as the monster hit points. In 1 hour of 'farming' I can find on average 1 legendary, and around 6 full inventories of rares. Maybe 5 of them are auctionable in todays market, though these days what is considered an upgrade is pretty insane, and what I vendor could have sold for $100+ a few patches ago.

Other random crap they did: AH search functionality, 2 more shrines, faster inspecting (still no inspect all though), a slew of class changes you probably don't care too much about other than they made CC more effective in inferno (stuns and stuff), plus they also added the Hellfire Ring event that added a few unique monsters to farm, an instanced boss encounter where they just throw 2 bosses already in the game at you and at the end of it all you get a random roll of a ring with 35% bonus to XP and shoots a fireball. This is the one I got after a few tries so I don't bother to keep farming them.

tl;dr: MP5 is about as hard as Inferno was last time you played it; difficulty, drops & drop rate have improved to the point where you can play without using the AH. Still not worth playing until an expansion or if you like hardcore or something.

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Since I'm an achievement whore I would like to finish inferno on at least one of my chars. It's good that they added the MP mechanics and maybe I can finally beat it since I was making some progress in act 3 inferno (although that was back in the day when they had the OP fire trail rolling that did more dmg than any of my arrows).

As for farming, when I was soloing I would just do the pre-1.04-dave-patented act 1 run (the act2 run was not worth it because of too many deaths :cry: ) and I could plow through for the most part without even trying. I started doing metrics and I think it would take me about 5hrs to make one million gold on vendor sells alone and then when I looked up the price of what 1 million is worth decided to play skyrim. I wouldn't mind farming w/ you again though, (mostly because you can carry me :lol: ) but I wish I was at least able to keep up with dave-speed and was wearing what's probably worth $1k worth of gear in terms of efficiency, I'll be lucky if I can get $1 on my current gear. What I should have done before semi-retiring is strip all my chars completely naked, including everything in my inventory and sell it for gold/convert to RMAH currency. Then when I finally come back I could probably just buy a much more powerful set for a fraction of the cost :twisted:

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I agree with George, the drop % of good loot was too low to keep me interested. Getting items through the AH is not as fun as finding them by playing.

Dunno if they changed drop rates since I played though.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Getting items through the AH is not as fun as finding them by playing.
This is why I didn't ever buy this game. If loot drops are balanced around AH then 'twill suck.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Vyrosama wrote:Since I'm an achievement whore I would like to finish inferno on at least one of my chars. It's good that they added the MP mechanics and maybe I can finally beat it since I was making some progress in act 3 inferno (although that was back in the day when they had the OP fire trail rolling that did more dmg than any of my arrows).

As for farming, when I was soloing I would just do the pre-1.04-dave-patented act 1 run (the act2 run was not worth it because of too many deaths :cry: ) and I could plow through for the most part without even trying. I started doing metrics and I think it would take me about 5hrs to make one million gold on vendor sells alone and then when I looked up the price of what 1 million is worth decided to play skyrim. I wouldn't mind farming w/ you again though, (mostly because you can carry me :lol: ) but I wish I was at least able to keep up with dave-speed and was wearing what's probably worth $1k worth of gear in terms of efficiency, I'll be lucky if I can get $1 on my current gear. What I should have done before semi-retiring is strip all my chars completely naked, including everything in my inventory and sell it for gold/convert to RMAH currency. Then when I finally come back I could probably just buy a much more powerful set for a fraction of the cost :twisted:
MP0 you can easily beat Inferno. I'd say it would be even easier than what you remember Hell would be. I mentioned above that drop rates have improved. How much? Each one of these weapons are on the AH for around 100k:

Why are they so cheap? They have terrible rolls as far as max damage or 'ideal' stats, but they drop so often now that they are barely even worth putting up on the Auction House now. But that means you CAN play the game now without using the AH, but that also means that if you did check the AH you could easily fine a perfectly good set of gear to kill stuff with ease for very cheap as well. 1m gold now can buy you a 50k dps set for any class easily, and be cable to farm MP0 or MP1 faster than what you remember Act 1 at. But all the gear you left your character with is pretty unsellable.
Alan wrote:I agree with George, the drop % of good loot was too low to keep me interested. Getting items through the AH is not as fun as finding them by playing. Dunno if they changed drop rates since I played though.
They essentially 8x the drop rate on white mobs since you played, 2x the legendary drop rate, and 4x the set item drop rate. All that x2 for < level 60. As I mentioned above, I find about 1 set or legendary an hour, 4 inventories of rares, and probably a grand total of 4 items are worth listing on the AH. But most of the drops are perfectly useable gear. They just won't sell.
Jonathan wrote:This is why I didn't ever buy this game. If loot drops are balanced around AH then 'twill suck.
Tin foil hatters said drops were based off AH stock, I don't really think they care that much to have done that code.

TL;DR: D3 is boring. Everything is so easy now, the main complaint now is Reflect Damage monster affix is too hard and needs to be nerfed (because everyone is doing too much damage now and killing stuff too fast)

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

woah how good is the knockback thing on the windforce? back in the day it was painful just get even 10%-15% knockback chance (and that's with every piece of gear having it)