Veteran Doodler

Diablo 3 Beta

Post by Jason »

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Diablo 3 Beta

Post by Dave »

downloading now!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Already updated, hopefully will be able to log in tonight.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I am a level 4 monk. I'm bald. I also got my first magic item! Boots that give +1 life/sec. Epic
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Well, first impressions?

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Didn't you learn everything you ever needed to know about Diablo from watching Paul play A L L T H E T I M E ?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

If it's exactly the same as earlier Diablo, why is everyone so excited to play it? I've played Diablo I&II and wasn't planning to play them again.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

It is very clicky, and seems to have been dumbed down to using fewer set of skills, but with more customization so everyone's skills can vary between 5 or so types. Not sure I'm sold on the long-term viability (long term being > 1 year).

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Regarding clicking a ton, I'm definitely do it of habit, but one can just hold down the mouse button, especially when holding ground since one can change targets then by simply pointing.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Well, beat it as a Monk, level 9. Not sure if there is anything after the skeleton king in the weekend version. Might try another class if the servers stay up.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Same, my monk's lv11 now after focusing on +xp gear (not even sure how it exactly works, but I have +25 xp per kill in gear) and I have a lv3 wizard.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Yeah, I finished it as a lvl 10 wizard. It's almost exactly like the previous two, not sure why it too so long for them to do it. Can't imagine they had to recode all that much. Their servers sucked it up today and it's obvious that having to be online all the time is possibly going to suck in the beginning until they stablize them.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Weekend Review: I just don't see the big evolution in gameplay or even graphics (my video card fan goes into overdriven then i leave this game runnning) that make this 'worth the wait'. The classes are pretty interesting, I beat the beta boss with the barbarian, monk, and demon hunter. Didn't really enjoy the witch hunter or wizard early on, but the wizard seemed more interesting. I'm not a big fan of hit stuff with a weak attack to build up resources to use a cool attack. I want to use a cool attack ALL THE TIME!!! But overall, I think my initial pick of monk may be my favorite class. So final game at high level we can push 8 buttons (2 mouse, 5 numerical, one letter) and can customize which skill for each of the 8 between 5 slightly customizable versions. I could see a fancy ipad version take off, as that interface would possibly work on touch, but not really excited about playing the random item hunt game again. I see probably beating the final game with a few characters, but not getting to the point of loading a character up (probably a wizard) with % magic find and solo farming the same  boss after boss for the hopes of a epic drop like I did for Diablo 2. Actually, I totally see that happening if the crafting materials from simple blue items could sell for 5 cents each and I'd be able to pay for my WoW subscription through Diablo 3 farming at an hourly wage of a 15 cents an hour. I remember selling one item in Diablo 2 (Tal Rasha's set!) for $300 in 1999(?) after almost a year of farming. That was totally worth it!

Conclusion: No one would pay a monthly fee for Diablo 3 if they had tried. I'm sure $30 expansions adding a class and some content every year will keep the income coming. I'm still waiting for Starcraft 2 to drop to $20. But I'm looking to sell my ATVI stock sometime soon, as my outlook on WoW, D3, and gaming in general isn't good as an investment.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

quantus wrote:Didn't you learn everything you ever needed to know about Diablo from watching Paul play A L L T H E T I M E ?
And I didn't waste my weekend...

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dave wrote:But I'm looking to sell my ATVI stock sometime soon, as my outlook on WoW, D3, and gaming in general isn't good as an investment.
You're just not looking at the right games: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sets New Five-Day Entertainment Record Grossing More Than $775 Million Worldwide

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

OMG, I saw the commercial like every other spot during the daily show, only 2 more weeks until it launches, I can't wait! I mean, it's just $50 or $60 for a game that's going to be so damn boring to play. I still don't understand how Paul spent so many hours playing the last one. I wonder if they'll make a Mr.T special character like in WoW. The graphics in the commercials do look a lot better than D2 at least.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

quantus wrote:I still don't understand how Paul spent so many hours playing the last one.
Eh, people enjoy different things. And Paul didn't play any games until college, I bet the number of hours I put into gaming before age 15 is more than the hours Paul spend on gaming up to this point.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I'll probably end up buying this even though I don't think I'll enjoy it that much. I missed the beta but didn't seem like much of an evolution since D2.

In other news, everyone should buy Dark Souls when it comes out on PC. You'll probably need a gamepad to really enjoy it though, don't really see it shining with keyboard controls.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I will play until they revoke my free D3 license for not paying the WoW annual pass !

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

http://www.ocregister.com/news/blizzard ... iablo.html
Maybe I should go and see if I can score a copy of a free game. Of course going by my hourly rate it's cheaper to just buy the game