Natural Selection 2 alpha on Steam

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Natural Selection 2 alpha on Steam

Post by Jonathan »

The NS team decided to write a game. Rather than taking the CS route of evolving their mod into a retail release, they scrapped NS and started to write NS2 as a Source mod. Somewhere along the line they got the money to do a proper game with their own engine, and that is what NS2 is today.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2 ... ha_tonight

I have steam on my work laptop. I think I will give this a whirl.

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Re: Natural Selection 2 alpha on Steam

Post by Vyrosama »

Woo nice, they opened it up to everyone? I remember following up on them a few months back and their marketing scheme was
"pay us now to pre-order NS2. We can't tell you when it'll be finished but in the meanwhile you can play/test our dev builds as we go along! Also we'll give you the map tools so you can build levels that we can ship when we do release!".

I will need to investigate further :D

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Release is on Halloween. Anyone interested in this? A 4pack preorder is only 3x the price, so I might pick one of those up so I have some spare keys for a friend or two. Anyone want to go in with me on a 4 pack?

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

I have one more copy to gift (I bought the 4pack a while back) and have been gifting it to people that use to play the first one. It's yours if you want. It'd be pretty sweet if we get 8 people playing though. It would either result in complete domination (of our team... iirc the learning curve is crazy steep... hopefully they have fixed some of that).

I can't wait to play either, I've been waiting all month for it. I could have swore it was oct 18th but then got pushed back which gave more time to play borderlands 2 some more =p.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yes, I will totally take your last code!

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Hmm before I gift it to the wrong person... it says Dwindlehop: Last Online 197 Days. Is that you on steam? or gimme an email to send it to.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

That is me. I've been playing D&D instead of computer games. :)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks! Now I've got to download six months of Steam updates. :P

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Did you play any last night? I know I was up till 3am. Started a server w/ a friend and started messing around to figure out how things worked :D

Definitely the same feel except things feel a bit more streamlined or nerfed. I do feel like marines are a bit more powerful than aliens though. Either that or there's a ridiculous small window of time where you must do certain things on an alien team or just face a crushing defeat. It's funny though, nobody wants to play commander though so I ended up failing at it a few times (probably need to start using the mic if I knew what the hell I was doing).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Had some work stuff to power through. Might have Halloween plans tonight. I'll probably try it tomorrow.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I sent a few friend req's on steam last night... I don't play all that much and don't have the newfangled games like borderlands 2 though i might get it after playing it some here at work...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Vyrosama

Post by Vyrosama »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

:) My steam installation looks b0rken. Have yet to generate the wherewithal to fix. It will happen!