STIM fights

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

STIM fights

Post by Jonathan »

Uninvited Guests, my old corp, dissolved due to lack of logging in. The remaining ten members joined other corps, mostly STIM and QOTSA, both of which were in our alliances. QOTSA was my corp before UGH, but I decided to give STIM a go. Stimulus is high speed whereas Queens is more relaxed. I think it's good to have some expectations at this point in Eve. Either I can play this game or I should quit after four years, yes?

Anyway, I've been a member for months now but haven't been posting my fights. Here's a recap of last night!

http://dwindlehop.vox.com/library/post/ ... ryone.html

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: STIM fights

Post by Jonathan »

Shot more dudes last night. Nobody but bad guys died. I haven't written it up yet because not much particularly striking happened.

Oh! I know. I was part of a blackops gang and got to jump through a covert cyno for the very first time. We didn't get a kill because the target deaggressed. We popped him later that evening with a regular roaming gang, though, through the simple expedient of keeping someone on the other side of the gate to tag him when he deaggressed. That is why I'm not on the killmail. I was on the other side of the gate and the killmails reset when one jumps.

The most dangerous part of the evening was when I got bored and started to carebear in one of our deadend systems. I ran out of the right ammo but kept spawning waves of rats in an anomaly and got shot into structure. It's kind of sickening to see your structure dropping while you're in warp but before the warp drive is active, just praying for the shooting to end before you die. I could have warped out at any time, but I stayed until the last possible second because I am dumb.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Funny thing happened. My interest in this game lasted longer than the lifetime of Vox. I migrated my Eve blog to typepad.

http://dwindlehop.typepad.com/blog/2010 ... afire.html

And, what the hell, I blogged a bit.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, and a new corp, Reaper Industries, joined Rote Kapelle. They have a Titan! We were blue to them for pretty much our entire lifetime, so we knew it was going to be a good fit. They're primarily EU TZ. Our Aussie TZ recruitment in STIM has gone well, and we've always been strong in US TZ, especially Pacific. Anyway, STUGH is doing good things; must be because I wasn't logging in.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

REAPE has a good east coast presence. Most west coasters stay up a bit late for my tastes (0800 UTC on a weeknight? No thanks) but often I like an early afternoon roam on a weekend. Anyway, I've been flying my new Claymore in primarily REAPE-heavy gangs. If I get confident enough in my comms I might try my hand at commanding a fleet soon.

Largely, these fights have been characterized
by a lack of friendly deaths. In large part this is because the Claymore grants bonuses to speed, tackle range, and sig radius to my gang, so we're supposed to be more survivable. It is otherwise an undistinguished tub of a boat. I've tried artillery and buffer, which just tickles the bad guys. I've tried autocannons and buffer, which doesn't even tickle them. I rather like the look of autocannons and speed, but it needs snake implants to be at all worthwhile and I don't want to drop half a billion on this ship.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I decided to log in on a Friday for the first time potentially ever, certainly the first time this year.

"We killed too much."

Why do they keep dying?
Our fleet commander took our mobile fleet of battlecruisers and logistics ships up to Fountain to find some serious fights. He asked me to fly in a Stiletto as backup scout. We started with just over 30 in fleet, but we had a few late additions in interceptors and whatnot. By the time we had four interceptors in gang, I decided I would have more effect as rear scout making sure no big blob snuck up on us and massacred us, so I notified my FC and took up a position a system behind. I didn't tackle very many ships a result.

Fountain is sov space owned predominantly by IT (formerly Kenny, formerly Band of Brothers). We found it full of gangs in space. We engaged almost entirely on gates for about an hour, killing quite a few ships without losing any friendly ships. Note that we killed ships from at least three different power blocs. Rote Kapelle is an equal opportunity destroyer of worlds.

Operating as sort-of-a-solo ship, I had some fun. I also overloaded my MWD so much I burned out my scram altogether, so most of the night I was operating with long point only. I personally let a hostile Sabre escape from near-certain death, which I regret. I had him pointed, but he had his MWD overloaded and was trying to escape. I overloaded to catch him, but I was too fast and closed within scram range, which he had fitted unfortunately. He turned off my MWD with it and then zoomed away. I knew I was closing too fast, but I hadn't set my keep at range to anything useful, so chose to close rather than stop still and lose the point that way. I also knew he scrammed me, but I didn't think to reengage my MWD after he zoomed away. He zipped out just as my backup was getting in range. I also neatly evaded some hostile stealth bombers who I knew were snooping around in system from earlier. When they decloaked and launched at me, I was ready with the quick jump to the next system.

Rote Kapelle spanks FA and -7-
Things were getting pretty late for East Coast folks, so our FC ordered the trip back home. All in all, we were pretty pleased with the night. Our route home took us through Cloud Ring, sov space which is home to various corporations formerly known as Goonswarm and their allies. They had recently forcibly evicted the previous tenants Ev0ke/Ewoks. We found a Fatal Ascension gang in QXW with slightly over 50 in gang, including 2 carriers and 2 dreadnoughts trying to knock over an undefended Ev0ke infrastructure hub (sov space upgrade; makes a system more valuable but you have to remove hostile ones before you can erect your own). Our FC was reluctant to engage, but the fleet convinced him to try.

We destroyed them, killing 66 (including 6 carriers) while taking only 6 losses. Obviously, they started to send in reinforcements once we engaged, as the total number of hostiles reported was close to 100, though only around 70 ever appeared on grid. The others were too scared to engage. :)

FC ordered us to warp to the hostiles at our optimal ranges, so I arrived at 30km and found myself near a couple of drakes. Since I was down to just one point and my laughable dps by that time, I concentrated on pointing targets until FC called them primary, and then finding more dudes to point. I feel like a did a good job spreading my point around. We had very few hostiles escape the field, after all.

Hostiles targeted our heavy interdiction cruiser first, as that presented clear and present danger to their capital ships. Granted, it was the only ship we had at the time that could keep them from jumping out their capitals, but it soaked up a lot of damage because HICs tank hard. Compare: the HIC took 91k damage before it died; our next loss took only 11k damage before popping. We killed around 7 of their DPS ships while they brought down just the one HIC, which helped our side our tremendously. They had reps on grid in the form of carriers, but logistics ships are much more nimble at spreading reps around as targets change. Their carrier pilots greatly extended the life of several targets, but we kept switching primaries and they failed to adjust.

I wandered very far away from the battle one time because I had a course laid in while I was looking for new targets and took too long. Mostly, though, I found targets who were outside the main furball and held them until the rest of my fleet got around to them like this battleship and this carrier. I pulsed my MWD appropriately so I never capped myself out, despite grid being hot for at least 30 minutes continuously.

At 6:01, they warped in another cyno Kestrel and brought in 6 additional carriers. They had already lost 38 ships by that point, though, so I'm not convinced it was the most brilliant strategy I've ever seen. Both the hostile dreadnoughts had managed to escape when the HIC was destroyed. A second friendly dictor arrived to keep these new caps on grid, however. They only had about four subcap ships left on grid, but they took a while to destroy due to the increased number of hostile reps. Once the field was clear of subcaps at 6:04, our capital pilots convinced our FC to let them cyno in two supercarriers and three carriers. The friendly capitals worked quickly and by 6:12 the last hostile, my well-off-center Nid that I'd been pointing for five minutes before he was primaried, was finally popped. We spent the next 15 minutes looting wrecks and transferring the loot to the carriers to be cynoed out of system, as we were already full of loot from the previous engagements in Fountain. We managed to fill up the carriers, too, before a hostile stealth bomber came to try to bomb the wrecks off the field, albeit after we had looted everything we were going to loot.

I have no idea where the press coverage of the last fight in QXW came from, but it was nice to see regardless. Here's some more discussion of the fight in an Eve fan forum.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBvgtk6frI

Here is the first ten minutes of the spank fight in QXW. I am on comms, but you won't hear me because my mike bugged out just before the recording began. Stay tuned for part 2, wherein I type stuff in fleet chat!

The cameraman is Xbox360clock in a Stiletto. Kudos to him for recording fraps, but he did not do a good job of showing the battlefield. However, to compensate, it does come overlaid with our comms chatter! The talk makes more sense if you look at the list of capital kills; basically we're coordinating points on the carriers so they can't cyno away while whittling through their subcapital fleet in Drakes and whatnot. The dreads were in siege, which makes them immune to points. After they popped our Broadsword we had no way to prevent the dreadnoughts from cynoing out as soon as their siege cycle ended. You can hear the resigned note when Bacchanalian says they're cynoing out.

I definitely think I did a better job of being a Stiletto than Xbox360clock. He repeatedly targets the primary, even though you know they're already pointed to hell and gone. An Interceptor should be removing hostile drones, chasing down fast ships trying to run away, or pointing tertiary or even uncalled targets until they get called, in my opinion. You can hear Sakura Nihil, who was scout, announcing he was shooting hostile drones, whereas I tried to point guys who weren't called primary.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witU4p79JU8 - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuvms_vADak - Part 3

I don't actually say anything until Part 3. :) You can see me pointing various targets in Part 2 if you're sharp and study the combat spam. Part 3 is definitely the most entertaining just due to the voice chatter.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=42716

Ok, I'm not involved in this, but it amuses me. New industrial ship created today. Blueprints are only available in Outer Ring, which is null security space. Null security, as in none. So obviously at least 80 dudes need to schlep over there without any support whatsoever and get caught by the RK camp. Eventually some frig gang came and killed the remaining friendlies, but wow. One guy had 14 blueprints (each capable of producing infinite numbers of ships) drop out of his wreck.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Well, now the above post is meaningful because I actually joined in!
http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=42977
http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=42882

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=42972 - 2 blueprints
http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=42977 - killed my first T3 ship. Happened to be one with a interdiction nullifier so he's immune to bubbles. We got a crazy lucky decloak. He had 5 blueprints. All destroyed. :(

Made like 150M or so personally from tonight's pew pew. :twisted:

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=43267

After my success making money the PvP way, I decided to give suicide ganking a go! The RNG does not smile upon me, sadly.

In another, fantasy game, you'd be able to pickpocket dudes in the street. In Eve, you pop AFK haulers and loot their wrecks. Then the po-po (surprisingly NSFW link) shows up and you die. For this reason it is important to have someone else loot the wreck.

This dude thought he was being clever by tanking a BC to haul his implants around in. More EHP than a hauler, yes, but not enough for this amount of isk.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Been playing this game for five years now. Decided to take out a Logistics (aka pure healer) for the very first time. Interesting policy of STIM is losses get first cut of the loot, and logistics get second. So... Loots! I should fly logi for isk!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com/view ... 99#1487599
http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=44927

The boys killed a SomethingAwful.com Goonswarm (now called TEST) Titan while I wasn't paying attention. Sadly the opportunities for these kinds of kills will be limited because Reaper has decided they don't want to be in Rote Kapelle anymore.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=46476

This was a good fight, though I lost my ship only a couple minutes into it. They had eyes on us and we had eyes on them. Outnumbered 17 to 24, we decided to jump into them. FC ordered a sacrificial lamb to make first jump, followed by the rest of the BCs, then the BS and T2. All our ships were ordered to burn MWD towards the sun to pull range from their tackle. Unfortunately they grabbed one of our logistics on the way out. FC primaried some of their paper thin DPS and easy-to-kill tackle, like the Rapier. In the end, our ships were able to warp out while under heavy fire and then reenter the fray from a distance because we pulled range. I think this was a noticeable edge that meant we were able to hold the field.

The Ishkur (assault frigate) landed a scram and web on me, shutting off my MWD and keeping me on the field for the Drakes to munch. I did have heavy neuts with which to slap him, but the cycle time on those is long so one cannot react instantaneously. I wound up getting pointed by some Drakes shortly thereafter. It's not impossible to think I may have had a short window when I was not tackled; the logs do not say. At any rate, I was not spamming warp so I don't know if I was constantly pinned or not.

Our gang held the field and looted the wrecks, then drove off a few more enterprising members of their fleet who didn't immediately flee altogether. On the whole the isk loss was split evenly (slightly in our favor, even) but looting the wrecks puts this fight into a solid win for us.

A much larger hostile Drake fleet arrived just after we finished looting, so we had to engage in a bit of maneuver to get home safely. Fortunately, they had no bubbles, so negotiating the way home in my pod was trivial. I provided eyes on hostile fleet actions until our ships were in the clear, then I went home by myself.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I led my first fleet in, uh, a while. Probably since 2007/2008? I didn't die (screw those other suckers)!

Losses: Crusader, Ares
Kills: Hurricane, Badger, Typhoon, Raven, Thorax, Drake

We had 13 in fleet, no bubble, 1 Scim, 1 Curse, 3 inties total, myself in Claymore, rest of fleet in fast dps. All the kills were ganks on gates. We went round Cloud Ring and back home through A-S. Most the fleet was on the Raven kill, but I don't think anything lasted long enough for everyone to get on the killmail.

I was a little too paranoid about lingering too long in hostile space, and so we missed a couple of kills we should have made. I also think if I had been more aggressive with fleet movement we wouldn't have lost our first interceptor. The second loss was because the guy argued with my call for him to disengage and I didn't overrule him.

On the way home, having lost both our experienced scouts, we were scouted home by a relative noob who didn't give me great intel when a hostile gang started landing on him. He reported a couple of ships on grid, so I let the fleet warp to the outbound gate, and then he reported more ships arriving. I didn't get a clear local count on the other side, so I had the fleet burn away from the gate.

The hostiles sent a heavy interdictor through to bubble the gate immediately. Fortunately my guys were already headed away from the gate. As they jumped into system, I briefly thought we could engage them, but quickly decided not to. I told my guys to get clear and warp to the sun. They pointed one of my heavy assault cruisers, but he made it back to the gate and jumped through to safety. I told my fleet to bounce off the sun and land at Planet 1, then we cooled our heels in a safespot someone already had until the hostiles left system. No one died at all in that encounter, but it was a near thing. I nearly derped a few ships by starting to call a primary target.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://dwindlehop.typepad.com/blog/2011 ... uzzle.html

I FCed some more. This is not a recap of that. We didn't encounter any hostile gangs while I was FC, and we missed a couple ganks due to some questionable calls on my part and some less-than-optimal piloting on my fleet. Still learning, but it's boring to read about.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

\o/

Corp gave me a Dread Guristas X-L Shield Booster fitted Sleipnir for being an active fleet commander. This is worth over 300M+ isk. I think my Claymore is worth around 180M isk, so that's a pretty fucking nice gift.

Lost my Claymore tonight. Fucking 40man BS gang primaried me.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Lost that Sleipnir. Was dicking around on a weekend, not intending to shoot anyone*, when a blue calls point on a Tengu in our home system. I know there's hostiles in local, but just 2, so what the hey, amirite? The blue gets out of there before I even land on grid, because it's a trap, of course, and I die in a fiery ball of fire.

*Almost always a sign I'm about to die.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a ... l_id=48620

Oh dear. This is just nasty. One guy, operating completely solo, wiped out half my fleet, including me.

We had five guys (actually, four and a girl) on a gate and another guy on the other side, trying to get us a fight. A fight landed in our laps, in the form of a Drake. A Drake is something two of us could take down, more than likely, so we tore into it. He jumped through. I called for everyone to get on in and tear that Drake a new one. The Loki pilot lands at 0 on our gate and proceeds to jump on through. He takes apart my scout with two volleys or something ridiculous like that. I finally deaggress and get on through with another Vaga. We begin to chase down the Loki pilot, but he's effortlessly keeping range from us. I should have called for us to come back to gate; perhaps he would have been wary of our Rapier on the other side and left us alone. Instead, I chased him 120km off gate, where he tore into me and all my running back to gate was for naught. He then hung out on grid, daring us to get within range. We did not loot the wrecks.
I'm not really sure how he popped the Dramiel, but presumably it was some more of the running straight away and laying into the poor frig. I'm surprised the Dramiel wasn't fast enough to get clear, though.