Battle for Wesnoth

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Jonathan »

I played this game all Monday without realizing that attacks listed as 7-4 didn't imply a range of damage from seven to four, but rather four attacks that could potentially do seven damage apiece. Heh. I r dum.

I did find it rather curious that attacks always did the maximum damage, and very frustrating that the number of attacks didn't seem to be listed anywhere. :oops:

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

stupid mages won't stay alive.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I've been playing this every day on the train. Your leader can be an effective unit, if you go to the trouble of leveling him up and getting him to the front lines.

Mages can't take a hit, the wusses. I actually tend to lose my knights and horsemen more, as they have the movement and charge to really mess up enemy archers, but then they die to the next wave. I really want a level three white mage so I can freakin' attack at night.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

I have learn to hire whole bunch of new units on first turn and sent them out for land grab/assult. By the time they die the elite units have arrived and the newbies that survives and advances beyond level 1 will be retained (costs 20g to recall units so it's cheaper to hire level 1 units except for horseman/mage)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, me too. I'm in the middle of both Heir to the Throne and the campaign that comes after that. I had to go back in the second campaign to a previous level because there was an undead cave level and my white mage and knights were dead. High level undead are ouchy. I haven't had to replay any levels on Heir to the Throne yet.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dwindlehop wrote:Yeah, me too. I'm in the middle of both Heir to the Throne and the campaign that comes after that. I had to go back in the second campaign to a previous level because there was an undead cave level and my white mage and knights were dead. High level undead are ouchy. I haven't had to replay any levels on Heir to the Throne yet.
I just had the trolls take out the undead. I actually didn't attack anything until the lich was almost dead.

Mages are fine, as long as you keep an initial wave of fighters and archers in front of them. Horsemen are useless. I typically get 2-3 fighters and as many archers as I can afford, then sweep across the map.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Uh, what trolls? I didn't take the swamp or let the rogues join me. Did I miss something?

Horsemen suck more than is necessary, but Paladins are pretty damn full of win. That's why I keep going back to the well. One Paladin pretty much wiped the floor with the undead in the siege level in Heir to Throne.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I assume by the undead cave thing you're talking about the southern campaign. If you go to the far left, you talk to a troll and if you promise them 75 gold, they wipe out all the undead in the cave.

I similarly had a level 4 elven ranger who wiped out half the map on the undead siege level. Unfortunately, I couldn't move fast enough to wipe out the northern lich.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Oh. How cheap. :)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

It seems like the help file is missing certain entries. I can't seem to find an entry about the upgrade to Arch Mage (Great Mage?), for example.