Failure Cascade!

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Failure Cascade!

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... re-Cascade

I like this description: It's the opposite of the network effect.

The article is a bit one-sided, but maybe that's not the author's fault?

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

very interesting read....but doesn't seem too one sided...are you referring to his example? I guess I can sense some bitterness in it....

Overall, the author has some good ideas on how to keep a good guild running. So for your next EVE guild you make, you need to have regular suicide missions...that sounds like a lot of fun and I don't even play the game

:P

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I don't know if I agree with this. I understand what he's saying, but I don't think that having an outside identity will necessarily hold together an organization. The problem with online groups is the simpleness/cheapness of switching groups. It's like any market system, players put their money/time where they get the most bang for their buck. So when the author says:
These kinds of selling points set guilds up for destruction by hinging on a culture of success.
what he's not pointing out is there is no other way to sell the group. People wouldn't have rejoined Red Alliance if it didn't start to become successful again. And from what I understand Goonfleet has always been successful so there's no reason for anyone to leave it. The only way to prevent a cascade would be to increase the cost of switching organizations, but companies won't do that since it would reduce the 'fun/success' that a player can have and players have so many other choices and there is such a low cost to move to another game.

Does this make sense?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Chuck, the whole article is a plant by The Mittani which is why RA and Goons are held up as shining paragons of together-ness.

Jason makes perfect sense. I do not consider RA and GS immune to failure cascade in the way that author thinks. Consider that RA not only had no space, but also had no members at their lowest point. The rising from the ashes thing occurred only because there was a handful of Russians who kept on fighting despite the overwhelming odds. They were successful enough to attract more Russians to the cause.

During the height of the titan imbalance when titans could remote doomsday through a cyno, regenerate all their cap from 0 in 15 seconds, and couldn't be tackled, BoB had 3 Titans and Goons had 0 (though eventually AAA came in with one and they mostly don't fight Goons). Goon participation went *way* down because all they could do was explode and they couldn't win a POS fight to save their life. After the titan nerfs, Goons resubscribed and/or logged in more and they swept across the lower half of the map bulldozing BoB POSes as they go.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a= ... 1701&tid=7

Background: Mercenary Coalition has been on contract to BoB for nearly a year. They single-handedly turned the northern front around and utterly destroyed BoB's northern opponents (Dusk and Dawn + allies). About two months ago they went on an extended empire break and then a lulz contract in Syndicate fighting uppity carebears. Now they've turned on their former masters in BoB and have declared the Period Basis region to be theirs. MC is knocking down BoB POSes in PB at a record breaking pace as BoB has withdrawn to Delve to make their final stand against the RSF forces. Apparently MC is calling PB "Tortuga" now and has invited other mercenary/pirate corps to join them in the region.

I wouldn't care too much, but the swift collapse of BoB+pets across the southern front has meant that a ton of moon mining POS have been blown up without being replaced. The net effect has been a huge upswing in the cost of tech 2 components and flat or slightly rising T2 module prices despite buffs to the invention probabilities. I want my Vagabond and Sleipnir now, dammit.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Heh, Cult of War has just failure cascaded. No one should be surprised: after all, I've been in their alliance for a month!

Corp is still holding it together, though.