Browser games

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Flash games

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nerdook ... s-sun-king

I like this (sort of a Defend Your Castle, but easier on the mouse) but the endless mode can be played endlessly with the right strategy (got bored after an hour). The difficulty level plateaus.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Made three or four stabs at a seriously hard game, all ending in failure. All the surrounding areas wind up infested, which takes so much manpower to defeat that I leave myself open to losing territory, which means happiness goes into the toilet. Nearly got my happiness over 50% to initiate an ending, but I got nailed with a random event in the same turn.

Can't decide if zombie pop climbs every turn or if it proportional to your perimeter. What about the hordes?

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

The hordes definitely gets larger as time goes on. I believe the Zombie threat increase both by building, and by the total number of buildings surrounding you as you expand territory. I have not win a game yet. It gets really annoying when your guys starts turning into zombies, if they are wounded after zombie attack they will turn into zombies in a few days. I play on challenge mostly and can't get enough people to defend and do missions by 100+ days.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Huh. Did not have any troubles in Challenge on Big. Happiness went down a bit, but I bodged it back up with the zombies-as-winners-religion.

Gonna try Seriously Hard on Big instead of Huge, see where that gets me.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Research the zombie vaccine to save your guys. My normal game is let food run pretty low, getting by on scavenging, until I research the upgrades, then I become self-sufficient in food. So I expand my roster aggressively, even convert some farms into housing. Then you train up scientists in school and get them to power through the research.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I'm pretty much done with a big city on seriously hard (I'm just clearing the last few squares. I only lost a few squares and reclaimed them easily enough. The biggest pain was losing a couple farms (including a large farm) sending me to -9 food production and having to divert resources to reclaiming them and looking for food supplies so people don't starve or leave.

Expansion:
My general strategy is to get police stations,malls and farms near my starting point as quick as possible to provide protection against initial hordes and get food positive so I can start recruiting more. Then I start to square that area off, but this seems to be aesthetically pleasing rather than necessary (see zombie growth on why). Get buildings that increase the population limit first so you can recruit and grow faster. If there are people in a building you want, but you're at the population limit, then put a couple low level people on farm duty and recruit them, but generally, you don't have to do this. I also eventually start to convert useless buildings to apartments and start converting suburbs to farms if I'm not already food positive. It's not really useful to scavenge for 2 food, so getting food supplies 10-15 at a time is all I bother with.

Research:
I tend to get a research facility quickly and load up scientists to minimize the research time and just let them stay busy for the whole time. If the crazy scientist comes by, let him have the research facility and get another. He'll eventually die and give you notes on how to create a cure which is one way to win the game. I get the zombie killing/resistance stuff first, then go for food and recruiting. I usually prefer food research first since you can boost crop performance to +2 per farmer which is when I start assigning new recruits to farm duty. (Scientists also make good farmers once you've researched everything.)

Zombie Growth:
It seems that zombies congregate at your walls so those will likely be the squares with the highest zombie count (other than city hall) unless you kill them off and they need to regrow again. It almost seems like there's a constant stream of zombies from the outside and they move 1 square a day toward your walls. As a sort of test, I've actually ringed off a few squares inside my city walls and no zombies accumulate there--even die off slowly (which could be an interesting strategy, but likely not very practical for large-scale use). Oh, seems zombies don't move diagonally, so you can block off areas with only having the sides blocked, not corners.

Heliport:
Another way to win the game, but generally a pain to get supplies and such.

Other ways to win:
Attack Last Judgement or create a constitution. These take a decent amount of manpower for 10+ days so I only try to do this when I've crossed the point where total zombie population is decreasing as I expand so it's easier to defend against hordes. (You can see total zombie population in the Threat section if you click on the hazard sign/percentage at the top.)
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I bought the premium upgrade to Kingdom Rush.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

*bump*

It's back and it's magical!

http://www.foddy.net/CLOP.html
:twisted:

Vyrosama
Master Chief Telephone Technician

Post by Vyrosama »

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Despite the appearance looking gaudy, the fact the game counts for you and has auto-column/row lock rocks.

Oh, and Chuck sucks!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:http://www.kongregate.com/games/wx3lab/planetdefender

I like this. It is a turret defense where the enemies shoot your turrets in addition to your "lives": in this case, population. Took a few tries, but I beat Hard with 231,761 points. I am not sure I have the patience to get through the opening game in Apocalypse.

Edit: nevermind, my opening for Hard worked for Apocalypse. Beat it on first try after beating hard, 42,134. :P
Ok, just got 220k in Apocalypse. I could probably run up the score in Hard and get higher than #10 score for the day, but I'm already #10 in Apocalypse so screw that. Final pop was 2740M. Was pushing 4000M, but I couldn't bring enough missiles to whip through that last round of carriers before the final boss before they launched shitloads of fighters at me. Sadly there is no good fighter defense in this game, except popping the carrier before she launches too many.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

290k score on Hard, 5000M+ pop. #6 today.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

298k on Apocalypse. Not quite at 4000M before final boss. I broke 4000M easily, but those fighters pounded me down to 3700k. Sucks.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

399,521. Finished just below 5000M. The key is keeping a screen of fortifications on the top row, but do not have defense in depth. Fortifications (and repair units) take too much away from your offense. I did put up a fortification on the far corners as well. I'm still debating that one.

Also, always put your missile defenses next to fortifications.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1570 ... layer.html

In the grand spirit of QWOP, I give you Rebound.
(requires Unity, not Flash)

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

403,868, 5017M pop, Apocalypse. Put the fortifications in the middle row so nothing is unprotected and bring econ early. I think I can do a little bit better. 460k to get top 3 on a given day. Can I do it? Hmm.