Solaris Journal

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Solaris Journal

Post by Peijen »

I was going to run Gentoo on my new computer, however Sun has announce Solaris 10 for free. I have been reading about it, and I think I am going to run Solaris instead.

I am going to try to detail what I did and how it turned out here so the rest of you can laugh at my failure and stuff.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

weee, there is no native drivers for nforce4 and 6600gt for solaris. Oh well, got the new computer up and running with WinXP 64bit. sucks that I busted up one of the sata power connector when I try to close the case.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

People needs to get off the internet so I can download the dvd!!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

No torrent?

I've been using UserLinux for a couple of months now as my sole desktop OS. It does what I wanted it to do: provide a sensible set of default packages for Debian. For some reason, I installed the soho-desktop configuration instead of the desktop configuration, which was probably a mistake because it installs a bunch of software I don't need (fax daemon, anyone?).

Recently I've been considering Ubuntu as it is essentially the same deal: a sensible set of default packages for Debian. However, what installation advantages Ubuntu might have over UserLinux are out-weighed by the fact that I already have a working UserLinux installation, with the exception of the sound. Also, Ubuntu maintains their own set of packages separate from Debian, whereas UserLinux is completely composed of Debian packages. It's easier to get help for real Debian than a derivative.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

Dwindlehop wrote:No torrent?
I didnt look.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

NOOOOOOO, stupid virtual pc doesn't recognize DVD version of Solaris 10. I know the dvd works, because it boot fine with my system.

Now to debate if I want to download the CD version...