Vice Presidential Debate

Posts you want to find years later go here.
quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I don't think closing with an annecdote is a good idea anymore... Not a great choice by Edwards. Sounded rehearsed.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Point for point, he did alright. He showed much less knowledge of the facts than Cheney, but he had a point for each argument and explained his points.

But responding to Cheney, it becomes clear that he's not as well prepared as Cheney. And the attitude of the debate - Edwards just seems like he's a kid sitting at the adult's table for the first time. Cheney on the other hand is like the grandfather who's been at the table for years. Edwards says stuff and Cheney chooses to respond however he wishes, and if he doesn't directly address one of Edward's challenges he makes it seem like he's doing that because it's a stupid or pointless argument.

In sum, Cheney looked like a man, Edwards looked like a boy.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Cheney's closing remarks sounded more rehearsed. He was more to the point and sorta threatened the voters with a terrorist bomb in the middle of a city if he's not elected.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Overall impression:

Edwards: nice guy, good looking, speaks nicely, but doesn't have much presence or authority and doesn't seem like he really knows what he's talking about

Cheney: asshole, threatmonger, but when he speaks you listen to what he says

somethinghumble
Chump

Post by somethinghumble »

overall impression:

Cheney: interested in big money, more war, ignoring the growing deficit, ingoring his lesbian daughter, following blinding into whatever Bush wants to fuck up next. "i must support my pres"

Edwards: trying to learn how talk more like a politian and less like a lawyer, eager to be defiant, advocating and defining the changes the dems would make, and finding an existence in being the largest living commerical for Kerry. "oops did i break the rule again?"

I do think (and hope) that most of the mindless bulk of voting America will relate more to the "peoples justice seeker" Edwards rather than to the "diobalical monster against his own daughter" Cheney. I mean, Cheney refused to debate the subject of gay rights during the 'debate' after Edwards brought up his daughter, what kinda shit is that?

I also think that the prior, this, and the 2 coming debates will and have favor the democrats and may even contribute to a victory for the republicrats.. oops i ment democratans..

beh.. regardless: The world we live in must and will plunge into a worse state of global affairs, before it ever develops into a place of peace and unity. There are still major issues that must be addressed before we see the triumph of man as a creature of peace and justice. We need to address the source of terrorism.. not the actors of it.
sometimes you feel like a butt..

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

I was expecting more of Edwards, and Cheney was (obviously) much better than Bush. Overall, Edwards had his weak points early on, but I think many people in America connected with Edwards about job losses, stagnant wages, and rising costs. Edwards compliments towards Cheney's lesbian daughter were effective in neutralizing a potentially volatile issue and sowing some doubt among the Bush's base. Likewise, Cheney's demur was a real pro move that made it seem like his daughter's lesbianism was something that he struggled with. There were a lot of pro moves this debate. Edwards was very effective in framing the "philosophical differences" between Bush and Kerry in an effective manner. Cheney's talk about his humble beginnings was very effective.

Edwards made some mistakes. Lots of little things. I thought he should have been specific and said we've allocated over $200 billion to fight the Iraq war instead of saying we spent $200 billion which is not technically true. His drinking water off-camera was kinda awkward, but nothing to make hay over.

All-in-all, it was a much closer match than last time. Both candidates performed well. The winner is, for the time being, in the eye of the beholder.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I want to see Edward's daughters, not Cheney's lebo
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

skanks
Poser

And that's a wrap

Post by skanks »

That's it. Yesterday's debate was the last one. Nobody cares about the debates anymore. NOBODY CARES. Everybody knows the facts they want to know. They don't want to listen for another two hours to anything. They saw the candidates talk. They maybe even saw the VPs talk. That's way beyond the attention span of a TV people who have been bombarded with the same subject for months. No way. People can't wait for the goddamn election so they can just get this damn thing over with.