All these hurricanes

Posts you want to find years later go here.
skanks
Poser

All these hurricanes

Post by skanks »

following Charlie, Frances, and the current Ivan we now have another tropical storm, Jeanne, upgraded into a hurricane. it seems like they've been one after another.

Does the Southeast Atlantic region usually have so many hurricanes?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yep, its only this year that they starting caring since I just moved down here.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

it's all your fault dave.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Generally you have bad hurricane years and good hurricane years. In the good years, they're not really a problem. In the bad years, they just keep pounding away.

Plus, maybe global warming makes it worse. Or El Nino!

http://wired.com/news/technology/0,1282 ... _tophead_7

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Well, it looks like the earth is finally starting to fight back. It probably can't destroy the powerplants that are causing most of the problems directly, but it can sure try to make a difference by slowly whittling away at the number of people using them.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

That's one way of looking at it. I still think it's dave's fault.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

unless *I* am a powerplant. You never know.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Well, if Dave attracts disasters, we ought to send him where he'll do the most good. Texas, initially, and then later Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Syria, France, Sudan, California, etc. Imagine a world without Texas...
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

George wrote:Well, if Dave attracts disasters, we ought to send him where he'll do the most good. Texas, initially, and then later Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Syria, France, Sudan, California, etc. Imagine a world without Texas...
Hey, what'd California do to get on that list?! We're not voting for Bush.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

quantus wrote:Hey, what'd California do to get on that list?! We're not voting for Bush.
I know. That's why I put you last on the list. We need your zillion electoral votes to have a shot against Bush. Radical liberalism is just as bad as Bush, he's just the more immediate problem. I keep hoping The Big One will drop California into the sea, but apparently that's scientifically unlikely.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

George wrote:Radical liberalism is just as bad as Bush, he's just the more immediate problem.
Ummm, you do realize that southern California is very conservative and they balance out northern California very well.

I think you're really just homophobic. What doesn't make sense though is the fact that you have more of a grudge against California than Massachussets. Or maybe you're really a repressed homosexual pretending to be a homophobe. Is there something you want to tell Peijen before your trip?

What about the Radical Conservatives of the south who still think the Civil War isn't over?! They're doing more harm than anyone with their 3 electoral votes here, and another 5 there, and another 7 over there, and another...

I wonder if the hurricanes will force enough of the elderly out of Florida to swing the election.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I had the titular role in the movie "Hurricanes". I did!

It was the part when Timothy Bottoms was teaching Mia Farrow how to drive the car and get away from the hurricane, and I pulled up to them at the stop light as said, "Man. I'm so tired of all these hurricanes."

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

huh?

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I'm sure Bob remembers.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

quantus wrote:I wonder if the hurricanes will force enough of the elderly out of Florida to swing the election.
Old people vote democrate because under Bush's plan their house would be burn down.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Ummm, you do realize that southern California is very conservative and they balance out northern California very well.
That's like saying standing in between two nuclear explosions balances out. Gun laws, gubanotrial recalls, illegal immigration, water usage, vehicle emmisions, Ebonics. California does everything by extremes (right or left), generally without letting reality get it the way.
I think you're really just homophobic. What doesn't make sense though is the fact that you have more of a grudge against California than Massachussets. Or maybe you're really a repressed homosexual pretending to be a homophobe. Is there something you want to tell Peijen before your trip?
Dave's constant innuendo should tell you that none of us are repressed about our homosexuality.

I do dislike Massachusettes, mostly for its gun laws. Allowing gays to marry doesn't bother me; they could do that already, more or less. However, I don't believe that straight married couples deserve any special legal priviliges, so I would rather the judge had revoked those priviliges entirely rather than granting them to a new group.
What about the Radical Conservatives of the south who still think the Civil War isn't over?! They're doing more harm than anyone with their 3 electoral votes here, and another 5 there, and another 7 over there, and another...
Actually, the killers are the Rocky Mountain states with low populations. They default to a full three electoral votes, and most of their residents are rural (i.e., Republican). The southern states get votes in proportion to their population. Not that depopulating the South would be a bad thing...

I think the real solution is that the Midwest should just nuke everyone else. Get rid of the South's rednecks, Texas's cowboy-wannabes, the Northeast's ivory tower liberals, California's lunatics (of both parties), and the Southwest's illegal immigrants. I can't really think of any good reason to wipe out the Rocky mountain states, so they can be left intact.

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

Alan wrote:I had the titular role in the movie "Hurricanes". I did!

It was the part when Timothy Bottoms was teaching Mia Farrow how to drive the car and get away from the hurricane, and I pulled up to them at the stop light as said, "Man. I'm so tired of all these hurricanes."
It does sound vaguely familiar, even before the "I'm sure Bob remembers" part. But I barely remember. Some kind of SNL skit or something, but for a different movie?

Google says it could be Star Wars. Seems like that fat Horatio Sanz guy should be playing Hans Solo. Am I close?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

You get rid of all the crazies, you won't have anyone left.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

bob wrote:
Alan wrote:I had the titular role in the movie "Hurricanes". I did!

It does sound vaguely familiar, even before the "I'm sure Bob remembers" part. But I barely remember. Some kind of SNL skit or something, but for a different movie?

Google says it could be Star Wars. Seems like that fat Horatio Sanz guy should be playing Hans Solo. Am I close?
UCB!

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

regarding Ivan:

<i>"Downgraded to a tropical storm, it [Ivan] left a trail of death and destruction as far north as Pennsylvania today"</i>

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/17/natio ... OR.html?hp

What the fuck are tropical storms doing in Pennsylvania? Pittsburgh doesn't export is shitty weather elsewhere; I don't know how the South gets away with this bullshit.