LCDs?

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

LCDs?

Post by Dave »

I have the 20" Dell FP2001 LCD at work and am seriously considering buying one for myself. Although it is the 1st lcd ive seriously used outside of a cluster.. anyone been using LCDs for a while that has any opinions?

My current 19" is fine, just probably heats up my apartment more than it needs to hehe
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

The only weird thing I've seen with LCDs are popup menus. We have 19" Dell LCDs in one of the labs and whenever you right click and have a popup menu, the menu is black and each option doesn't get drawn until it's highlighted with the mouse.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Jason wrote:The only weird thing I've seen with LCDs are popup menus. We have 19" Dell LCDs in one of the labs and whenever you right click and have a popup menu, the menu is black and each option doesn't get drawn until it's highlighted with the mouse.
sounds like problem with the system not monitor.

DELL FP2001 seems to be a really good monitor according to word on the street, but if you play FPS you might get a bit of blur and/or ghosting. you might not notice it though.

go to a deal tracking website and wait until its on sale for 750 or less.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My life is a travesty of CRTs.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvest ... fall_x.htm

LCD prices expected to fall faster this year.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

yea, my plan is to be looking at the same monitor for at least 2/3 of the remainder of my life.

or seomthing
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

My 19" is dying! Its fine when i turn it on to the desktop @ 1280, but then when I start CS or Doom (both at 800x600) it makes a weird buzzing noise for the 1st minute and then stops. It happens regardless of the refresh rate I force @ 800.

so anyways, I decided to buy the Dell 2001fp.

But then they emailed me this morning saying my address, phone number were incorrect... since I'm dumb and didnt change my info to down here yet.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Go Dave!

A 2nd monitor is definitely on my soon-to-get list since I don't plan on moving for a while.

Not sure if I want to go LCD yet though...

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

If/when I get another monitor, it's going to be a 19" or 21" LCD capable of 1600x1200 and at most a 15ms response time. The fact that I can't get one for under $500 is the main gating factor right now and the fact that I really just don't need it. My laptops (my own and the one from work) have nice screens. T41's are pretty nice.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dude, I so missed the T41 upgrade. I started working while they were still handing out T23s. My T23 needs to have a little "accident" so I can get a T41.

Yeah, 1600x1200 is my target resolution for a monitor. Sometime next year or the year after the price will be right, methinks.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

quantus wrote:If/when I get another monitor, it's going to be a 19" or 21" LCD capable of 1600x1200 and at most a 15ms response time.
19" LCD is 1280x1024, samsung has a 23" LCD you might be interested. right now the best response time is the DELL dave got with 16ms at that size.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

There are some 19" and 21" LCD's at 1600x1200 but they're pretty expensive and therefore not too common. At 23" it doesn't really make sense to have a resolution lower than 1600x1200 since there's so much screen area. I realize that response times for large monitors are also not yet at my target performance, but in a year or two, it'll be there and at a price I'm willing to pay. I'm a discriminating technophile. Maybe, just maybe, that new fangled 3d technology will also work its way into my dream monitor within a couple years as well.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Heh, in other words, Joe will continue to dream.

I'm debating on going for a bang for the buck digital (DVI) LCD for text / web browsing or a high-end CRT (max 19", 21" isn't worth the excessive weight/heat to me).

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I'd use my LCD to play movies in all likelihood. My laptop's LCD is good enough for this purpose, but it would be nice to have a larger screen at some point. Since the laptop has a 15" LCD already, I'm not going to go with anything small than 19". Presently, my apartment is pretty small, so I'm not really inclined to buy stuff to make it even more cluttered. When I move, which will likely be at the end of March, I'll be more likely to jump in and make a purchase. Until then, I have several months to wait and watch prices drop.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

There is absolutely no reason to get another CRT is you're only going to use the monitor to surf the web. The space that it would take up just isn't justified anymore. Even with 85+Hz refresh rates, your eyes will like you much more if you get a LCD instead of a CRT anyway.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

If I get a CRT, if will become my main display, and my Samsung 900 NF will be delegated for other tasks. If I needed a dedicated monitor for just text / web browsing I'd get an LCD, but the flexibility of a CRT is nice.

As for refresh rates, 120 hz is mighty nice.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I went aroundto local stores to see some lcds, and none really impressed me enough to buy them over the dell.

plus, the dell has an uber useful/easy video select switch so when my 19 dies, i can hit one button to go between analog, dvi, svideo, or normal 3 color thingy.

and pip! lol

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Well, the Dell 2001fp is and has been the bar for well-priced overall LCDs for a long long time. It's significantly above average. I remember once saying to myself I'll start getting an LCD with the successor to the 2001fp. It really hasn't happened yet...
Last edited by VLSmooth on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peijen

Post by Peijen »

vinny, you should get this to improve your FFXI experience

http://www.theregister.com/2004/08/11/sharp_lcd/

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

well, got my dell lcd... no dead pxiels just some inconsistent backlighting :( which I am making them send me another one for lol. kinda like how I went through 3 Dell 19"s before giving up.

Running anything in non-1600 modes sucks horribly. 800 x 600 cs @ 120 hz no more! 1600x1200 it is. which make me need a faster video card =/