Anti-terrorism in post 9/11 America

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Anti-terrorism in post 9/11 America

Post by Jonathan »

Bruce Scheier wrote:Bruce Schneier: Yeah, I’m often asked by the press, by legislators, “What do you recommend?” because I spend a lot of time saying, “This won’t work, that won’t work, or this won’t work.”

And they always ask, “Well, what will work? What should we do?”

And I think we just spend money at either end of the spectrum. The money we spend on intelligence, investigation, going after the terrorists will work regardless of what their next plan is. Defending the airlines only works if their next plan involves airlines, but going after the terrorists works regardless of what their next plan is, and I think, that’s important.

So I am very much in favor of those sorts of things: hiring linguists at the FBI, getting investigative teams in place, tracking terrorist funding, interdicting communications, that stuff also works.

And then I also advocate stuff at the back end, emergency response, first response, whether it is police, fire, medical, spending money there helps us, again, regardless of what the terrorist plans are.

We can never anticipate the terrorist plans. Inasmuch as we do, they will change them, so by definition you can’t anticipate them. We can’t all say, “My God! They’re are going to attack the rail system! Let’s secure the rail system,” because then they’ll decide to attack something else.
from http://www.itconversations.com/transcri ... 19-10.html

This beautifully sums up exactly what I think about terrorism and the preventing thereof. The Patriot Act eliminates our constitutional rights as Americans while doing nothing to reduce the threat of terrorism. Bush is spending money to fund wars and missle defense systems and spending political will to extend the Patriot Act. This is why President George W. Bush is soft on terrorism. He is not heading terrorism off at the pass; he is ignoring the symptoms and ignoring the causes and concentrating on all his efforts on prophylactics that just won't work. Bush's policies are like investing in face masks to protect people from SARS while everyone is dying of AIDS.
Last edited by Jonathan on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://salon.com/news/feature/2004/06/2 ... index.html

The U.S. Supreme Court tells the Bush administration to go take a hike. Thank goodness someone around Washington still has a little sense.

I particularly like this part:
Scalia, joined by liberal Justice John Paul Stevens, said that the administration had only three choices: persuade Congress to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, charge Hamdi with a crime and give him a trial, or set him free.
Ha! Go Scalia! I probably disagree with 90% of Scalia's decisions, but that is just plain awesome.