Jonathan's Hardware Thread 3.0 (Q1 2004)

Posts you want to find years later go here.
VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Theorectically yes, but from reading a ton of heatsink reviews (albeit, about a year ago) all the fancy round/cyclindrical heatsinks paled in comparion to simple fin designs like ThermalRight's.

I'll believe it when I see reviews of a good round heatsink.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

What, you mean like this or this??

These aren't anything like what I'm trying to describe, other than also being round. The new ones will a single solid cylinder of fins for a good three inches with a fan on top. None of the crowning stuff.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Heh, neither were reviews, and you admitted they weren't the same things. I guess you got the image across at least, which is the same as I envisioned.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

That's my whole point, is that they're not the same things. If you've read a review of a round heatsink like the one I linked to, I daresay that has nothing to do with the the heatsinks I'm talking about.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

At least we agree 8)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Hey, Vinny, heatsinkfactory.com is slightly cheaper than Newegg. Have you ever bought anything from heatsinkfactory.com?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Anyway, I returned the heat sink I bought and bought the TR 947 and a 92mm Panaflo.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Yes I have, HeatsinkFactory is a good company, with a good selection.

However, if you don't need one of their heatsinks, it's better to stick with one retailer to minimize shipping costs. (yeah, yeah, common sense, but it had to be said)

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Also, PanaFlos rock. I have a 120mm Panaflo in my Sonata. 8)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

All the stuff in my list is sitting in my dining room. I was putting it together when I realized that my Spark 7 didn't have the damn clips. I returned it, because Fry's doesn't have the damn clips, and ordered the 947 from heatsinkfactory.com. So shipping isn't an issue.

I wound up going with heatsinkfactory.com because they prompted me for the screws and power connector. I just want to buy everything and plug it in.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Success! I am posting this while running at 3.58 GHz at the stock voltage and a 1:1 memory speed ratio with 2.5-3-3-7 DRAM timing. I still have some tweaking to do with memory timing and voltage to see if I can get more of out it, but as far as I am concerned this is an unqualified success. Any more frequency or less latency is just bonus.

The only tripping point so far has been my front panel audio header doesn't match the damn audio socket labels, so I'm having to figure that out by trial and error.