Bernie Sanders

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Bernie Sanders

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-3357 ... peech.html

Bernie Sanders Draws 28,000 in Portland, Largest Turnout for Any Presidential Candidate This Year
13. “If a bank is too big to fail, I think it’s too big to exist.”

12. “We must end the embarrassment of this country being the only country on earth that does not guarantee workers paid medical and family leave.”

11. “We see kids getting criminal records for having marijuana, but the CEOs of these large institutions get away with theft.”

10. On the Koch brothers: “When you have one family spending more than either political party, that is not democracy, that is oligarchy, and that has got to end.”

9. On Republicans: “What they mean by family values is that our gay brothers and sisters should not be able to marry and enjoy all the benefits of citizenship. I disagree.”

8. “Men, stand with the women and demand pay equity. There is no defensible reason why women are making 78 cents on the dollar. That has got to change.”

7. On attendance: “Portland, you have done it better than anyone else.”

6. “A minimum wage of $7 an hour is a starvation wage. I applaud those cities—Seattle, Los Angeles and others—that have raised the minimum wage to $15 an hour. And that is exactly what we will do at the federal level.”

5. On the very rich: “They control vast sums of money. But we have something they do not have. We have a united people.”

4. “Every public college and university in America will be tuition-free.”

3. “The cost of war is real, and it is terrible. I believe that war should be the last resort, not the first resort.”

2. On his Supreme Court nominees: “They will have to tell the American people that their first order of business will be to overturn Citizens United.”

1. “This campaign is sending a message to the billionaire class: Yes, we have the guts to take you on.”
He also has zero endorsements from the set of Congress + governors. Hillary has an "unprecedented for a non-incumbent Democrat" number of endorsements, over 300 with more than six months to go before the first primary.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... t-primary/

Ouch.

My money is on a four-way between Clinton, Bush, Trump, and Sanders! Trump has already said he would totally run as an independent if he failed to get the nomination for the Republicans. I seriously doubt the DNC is going to let Sanders get the nomination for the Democrats. I think they're going to contest his name on the ballot in several states.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Bernie Sanders

Post by Dave »

My money is on Rubio getting the Republican ticket.

Not sure who would be VPs for any of them. Hilary/Sanders would be weird.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, I don't see that. Either Webb or O'Malley makes sense for Clinton VP.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmwGAd1L-o

There was a joke on SNL that Sanders is running for VP.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Trump is going to be the next president. Hell I will vote for him. Because fuck you that's why.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Scroll to the table on the budget proposals impact on long term debt. Trump's is the worst.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/10/3 ... -Tax-Plans

There's another table with another candidate or two included, but I couldn't find it again with a quick search.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Donald Trump is basically an American version of Putin. If we're dumb enough as a country to elect them then we deserve whatever happens to us as a result.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Trump may or may turn his lead in the Republican primary polls into delegates at the convention, but one thing that has remained constant is that he polls abysmally in a general election. Doesn't matter who the Democrats pick, the man has too many negatives. He will never hold elected office.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... president/

The surprising thing to me is that polls have him carrying some red states in hypothetical horse races against a Democrat. Not all red states, but some. Even one red state is a lot.

The crazy thing is that Carson wins a lot more of those hypothetical horse races, way better than Bush. Right now the polling is all voters because it's too early to determine likely voters. The question is if Carson could sustain those kind of numbers with likely (or even actual) voters. Apparently he doesn't have much of a campaign yet, but then neither does Rubio.

My guess now is the GOP establishment coalesces around Rubio and he tries to pull an Obama'08 (junior senator -> president). My old bet was wrong.